After the Chaos: A 2024 election game (sign-up/interest thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:36:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  After the Chaos: A 2024 election game (sign-up/interest thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: After the Chaos: A 2024 election game (sign-up/interest thread)  (Read 6028 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« on: June 05, 2021, 08:04:09 PM »
« edited: June 08, 2021, 05:49:55 AM by GoTfan »

After the Chaos: A 2024 Election game

[credit: Wikimedia Commons]

In 2020, the Trump Presidency came crashing down as former Vice President Joe Biden became the first candidate since Bill Clinton to defeat an incumbent President. Along for the ride was Kamala Harris, the first-term Senator from California, who became the first black woman elected to the federal executive in the nation's history.

Exiting from the COVID-19 Pandemic, which was finally under control worldwide by mid-2022, President Biden managed to enjoy high approval ratings for most of his term, despite a Congress that was reluctant to pass many of his plans. In 2022, Republicans retook a narrow majority in the House, but the Democrats held onto a 50-50 Senate, with Harris as the tiebreaker. Congress has remained in effective deadlock ever since, as the House drifts further and further to the right.

Now we enter 2024. Will the left wing od the Democratic Party finally have its moment in the sun? Will the populists in the Republicans manage to take control? Or will the coutnry continue its current path?

Rules:

-Each turn will last 72 hours and simulate one in-game week. Once we hit the primaries, this is subject to change.

-Endorsements are limited to two per turn. High profile endorsements such as President Biden or Speaker of the House McCarthy are off-limits until a nominee becomes apparent.

-Senators and Representatives can choose to propose legislation and votes on them will be simulated during the turn.

-Be sure to attend to the duties of your office! If not, it may seem as though you're avoiding doing your job.

Suggested Candidates:

Democrats:

Vice President Kamala Harris (John King wannabee)

Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg

Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York

Governor Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan

Senator Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin (Mycool)

Senator Cory Booker of New Jersey

Governor Gavin Newsom of California

Senator Sherrod Brown of Ohio (theflyingmongoose)

Former First Lady of the United States Michelle Obama (NewYorkExpress)

Republicans:

Former President Donald Trump (RGM2609)

Former Vice President Mike Pence

Former Ambassador Nikki Haley

Senator Ted Cruz of Texas

Senator Marco Rubio of Florida

Senator Rick Scott of Florida

Mr Donald Trump Jr of New York

Governor Ron DeSantis of Florida

Former Governor Larry Hogan of Maryland (NOTTLYER)

Independents/third parties

Mr Dwayne Johnson of California

Mr Kanye West of Wyoming
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 08:19:37 PM »

Dammit. I wanted Harris.

Can we get the 2022 Midterm results?

I'm leaning towards playing as Michelle Obama, actually. Could I get a ruling on whether that would be okay?

My predictive abilities are  . . well, quite poor to say the least. The Republicans have a narrow margin in the House, and the Senate is still 50-50. Warnock lost his re-election bid in Georgia but Fetterman won the Pennsylvania race.

And yes, you can claim Michelle Obama
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 11:31:57 AM »

Of course! Who would you like?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 06:47:30 PM »

Sorry, i was asleep. Bloody timezones.

McCarthy is off-limits. I can't think of a reason he'd run.

Hogan is a good choice and I would like to bump the Republicans' numbers up. Especially given how there's a lack of interest.

Yang's another okay choice. McConaughey, to my knowledge, is an independent.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 08:25:12 PM »

Sorry, i was asleep. Bloody timezones.

McCarthy is off-limits. I can't think of a reason he'd run.

Hogan is a good choice and I would like to bump the Republicans' numbers up. Especially given how there's a lack of interest.

Yang's another okay choice. McConaughey, to my knowledge, is an independent.

So.. Hogan or Yang or McConaughey. Give me any of em

The choice is yours
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 08:56:51 PM »

Done!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 09:05:12 PM »

Quick question. As Michelle Obama, do I start with a Barack Obama endorsement or is that too unfair to other Democrats (Asking because I'd want to use Barack on the campaign trail right away, especially in Iowa.)?

I'll think it over. I have to admit, there's compelling arguments for both sides.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 10:29:14 PM »

Quick question. As Michelle Obama, do I start with a Barack Obama endorsement or is that too unfair to other Democrats (Asking because I'd want to use Barack on the campaign trail right away, especially in Iowa.)?

I'll think it over. I have to admit, there's compelling arguments for both sides.

I consider it an unfair advantage as Obama affects a large part of the American Democratic party electorate, either deal with no endorsement or pick a new character.

On the other hand, I'd argue it'd be unfair to Michelle for her not to have her husband's endorsement.

Then again, I'd be willing to switch to playing as a Republican, given no one seems interested in playing as one anyways.

Like I said, there's decent arguments on both sides.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 01:48:55 AM »

I consider it an unfair advantage as Obama affects a large part of the American Democratic party electorate, either deal with no endorsement or pick a new character.

On the other hand, I'd argue it'd be unfair to Michelle for her not to have her husband's endorsement.

Then again, I'd be willing to switch to playing as a Republican, given no one seems interested in playing as one anyways.

I'd be fine with a compromise on Barack's endorsement (Michelle having it, but being unable to unveil or use him in campaigning before, say the Iowa Caucus).

My proposal is she can have his endorsement but only makes appearance in ads and or references and may not make campaign appearances until after Super Tuesday

I'd like to see what primary calendar we're using first, but that seems agreeable on the surface.

I'll be using the 2020 calendar
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 05:54:17 AM »

I'd be fine with a compromise on Barack's endorsement (Michelle having it, but being unable to unveil or use him in campaigning before, say the Iowa Caucus).

My proposal is she can have his endorsement but only makes appearance in ads and or references and may not make campaign appearances until after Super Tuesday

I'd like to see what primary calendar we're using first, but that seems agreeable on the surface.

I'll be using the 2020 calendar

Okay, I think that deal is probably acceptable, AshtonShabazz.

Excellent. Glad we got this sorted.

Gameplay thread will be up by the 10th of June In Australia. Because the US is a day behind us, it'll be the 9th for you.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 07:12:39 PM »

I stated above that the only notable change was Warnock's defeat in Georgia and Fetterman winning in Pennsylvania.

Final question before the game starts, what month do we begin in? and could you outline important upcoming dates like the SOTU, Special Elections, etc.

These will happen as they come up. Have to keep some suspense.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 04:38:52 AM »

Nothing against Sherrod Brown (and I'm not the GM anyways), but I think we should have more Republicans. It's rather unrealistic for half a dozen Democrats to be challenging Kamala Harris while Larry Hogan skates to the Republican nomination unchallenged.

I'll gladly accept Sherrod Brown, but I'm putting a hard bar on any further Democrats until we get more Republicans.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 07:12:50 AM »

Welcome all!

Now that we have a good spread of players, I propose moving the start up by a day. As always, the game will remain open to anyone who wishes to join at a later date
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2021, 05:02:40 PM »

Game thread is up!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2021, 09:46:54 PM »

Yes, endorsements come to me via pm.

I chose August as a compromise
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2021, 05:59:23 AM »

Thanks to the efforts of all. I've been in and out because of some rather pressing issues at home. I've recently become involved in efforts to bring the Biloela family home, though much of my involvement is online.

I would welcome an independent candidate or two, or hell, someone running for the Libertarian nomination.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2021, 09:40:44 AM »

Up until a reasonable point. April/May 2024 for example.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2021, 11:10:55 PM »

I'll take Howie Hawkins if I can play as a Green.

Welcome!

I must admit, I am a bit lost as to why DeSantis would run with Trump in the race.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2021, 08:45:41 AM »

GoTfan, could I get confirmation on whether Tammy Baldwin has the endorsements of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Elizabeth Warren?

You told me you were holding back on releasing high-profile endorsements, and I would think both Ocasio-Cortez and Warren qualified as such.

Truthfully, this came out of a personal opinion that they don't hold as much national or institutional weight as someone like Sanders. Not to worry as well, there are going to be reaction to endorsements during next turn.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2021, 06:00:55 PM »

Turn is closed.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2021, 06:42:44 AM »

I'll give a 24 hour extension, as this is the first turn. in the future, let me know before it closes.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2021, 07:16:55 PM »

Anyone who des not have their schedule up yet, I would advise getting a move on.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2021, 06:35:08 AM »

Turn is now closed. No further extensions.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2021, 06:51:29 PM »

Turn 2 is now open.

From now on you can request interviews. They're first in first served for both parties, so get in fast.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2021, 06:45:13 AM »

We're not far off this turn's conclusion
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies