In 1-2 sentences, what would TODAY look like if the 2016 freak election fluke never happened
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:47:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  In 1-2 sentences, what would TODAY look like if the 2016 freak election fluke never happened
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In 1-2 sentences, what would TODAY look like if the 2016 freak election fluke never happened  (Read 1667 times)
Would vote for Hillary Clinton over Joe Biden.
UnvaccinatedNcircumcised
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 04, 2021, 07:44:50 PM »

Trump was never supposed to win. He won WI, MI, and PA by the narrowest of margins and therefore the Presidency. COVID, insurrection, talk of military coups, election audits, wars, economic stimulus, second economic recession/depression/collapse, George Floyd, BLM/AntiFa riots
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 08:26:29 PM »

President Rubio/Kasich/Cruz after they beat an incumbent Clinton most likely.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 08:32:50 PM »

I don't all of this is as much of a fluke as you think it is, I think COVID still happens, the economic collapse still happens, and the BLM protests still happen. However, I think Clinton proactively shuts down the country minimizing the effects of COVID. While this probably means a worse economic condition, and the Republicans smelling blood in 2020 might not agree to stimulus, the hard right of the party is still pushing anti-mask nonsense, but the congressional leadership doesn't buy it. Anyways, seeing Hillary Clinton as popular due to her response, more moderate Republicans pass on the race, figuring that Clinton will win and after 16 years of Democratic control, it'll be basically impossible for the Democrats to win in 2024, and as a result the Republicans nominate an anti mask idiot who says they'll reopen the country, this is unpopular, and the candidate loses, though the election is closer than expected, Clinton gets Biden's IRL map+FL and wins the PV by around 5-6. The Senate is the same except Cunningham also wins.
Terlylane
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 08:40:44 PM »

President Cruz would be serving his first term.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 09:13:52 PM »

I don't all of this is as much of a fluke as you think it is, I think COVID still happens, the economic collapse still happens, and the BLM protests still happen. However, I think Clinton proactively shuts down the country minimizing the effects of COVID. While this probably means a worse economic condition, and the Republicans smelling blood in 2020 might not agree to stimulus, the hard right of the party is still pushing anti-mask nonsense, but the congressional leadership doesn't buy it. Anyways, seeing Hillary Clinton as popular due to her response, more moderate Republicans pass on the race, figuring that Clinton will win and after 16 years of Democratic control, it'll be basically impossible for the Democrats to win in 2024, and as a result the Republicans nominate an anti mask idiot who says they'll reopen the country, this is unpopular, and the candidate loses, though the election is closer than expected, Clinton gets Biden's IRL map+FL and wins the PV by around 5-6. The Senate is the same except Cunningham also wins.
Most likely something similiar to this. I could see Clinton beating Cruz.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 09:56:15 PM »

Hillary gets defeated 1992 style by someone like Nikki Haley or Nancy Mace or whomever after COVID still happens and Congress go after her and thwart all the stimulus packages needed. 2018 was obviously a bloodbath midterm. Methinks the map is 2016, with Minnesota, NV, and NH flipped...and MI/PA/WI far right swung...with the Sunbelt being the closer states, as I suspect Hillary initially won via the secret 210,000 called Florida and Arizona anyway.

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 11:56:11 PM »

Hillary wins re-election in 2020, because Trump runs as a third party candidate. The national GOP is split between insane (pro-Trump) and establishment (anti-Trump) wings. The only thing the GOP agrees on is how horrible President Clinton and the Democrats are. At the Congressional level, the GOP controls both houses of Congress; the split only had major impacts on the Presidential race as the pro-Trump wing has neither the organization nor desire to run third party in Congressional races. (There's the occasional loss because a Trump candidate drove away moderates and independents, or where an establishment candidate alienated the Trump-base.)

COVID deaths were under half of what they were in our timeline due to better response, but President Clinton gets little credit and is extremely unpopular. Criticism of both her pandemic response and governing choices are widespread. Congressional focus for the last 4 years has been on investigating, impeaching, and impeding the Clinton administration. Fox News is all Clinton, all the time. Many Democrats blame her for leading the party to electoral disaster.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2021, 12:01:03 AM »

Matt Lauer would still be the host.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2021, 08:27:33 AM »

You're implying the #MeToo Movement never would have happened if Clinton had become President? I think that's plausible, given that it arose in part as a response to Trump.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2021, 05:33:37 PM »

Hillary gets defeated 1992 style by someone like Nikki Haley or Nancy Mace or whomever after COVID still happens and Congress go after her and thwart all the stimulus packages needed. 2018 was obviously a bloodbath midterm. Methinks the map is 2016, with Minnesota, NV, and NH flipped...and MI/PA/WI far right swung...with the Sunbelt being the closer states, as I suspect Hillary initially won via the secret 210,000 called Florida and Arizona anyway.

Why Nancy Mace? SC-1 never would have flipped in 2018 if Hillary won.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2021, 11:46:08 PM »

This is really tough to figure out imo. On one hand and as others have said, 2018 would be a complete bloodbath. But, incumbent governments generally have done well under Covid and Trump’s loss was rather close (43,000 votes across 3 states). Probably more divided government and gridlock. 2024 would likely be a bloodbath for Dems if Clinton wins in 2020.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 09:16:16 PM »

You're implying the #MeToo Movement never would have happened if Clinton had become President? I think that's plausible, given that it arose in part as a response to Trump.

It certainly would have been milder, but not necessarily nonexistent.  In any case, My answer was more for the joke made possible by capitalizing TODAY in the subject than anything else.

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 06:49:23 PM »

Clinton wins in 2016 and has an unproductive presidency due to an uncooperative Republican Congress, leading to a Republican landslide in 2018. The GOP nominates someone like Ted Cruz in 2020, and beats the incumbent Clinton due to the even worse backlash against attempts to fight covid-19.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2021, 08:53:46 AM »

President Cruz has a trifecta and a filibuster-proof senate majority.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2021, 12:40:58 PM »

Stormy Daniels would be unknown to the political world.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies