Is the below article transphobic?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:23:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is the below article transphobic?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is the below article transphobic?  (Read 395 times)
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 07, 2021, 08:44:27 AM »

In another thread I was referred to a source which called the below article "transphobic."
Do you think it is? Interested to hear.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/17/the-guardian-view-on-the-gender-recognition-act-where-rights-collide

No poll because I'd like a discussion rather than simply numbers.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 09:01:22 AM »

In it's ignorance yes.

'Any new law must not give violent or controlling male prisoners a new opportunity to dominate women by changing gender and transferring to a female prison.'

Is not based on anything that anyone had advocated for. The idea that cis men will simply change gender to attack women os a poisonous and unfounded trope.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 09:03:47 AM »

The best rebuttal came from other Guardian journalists.

https://theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/02/guardian-editorial-response-transgender-rights-uk
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 09:58:24 AM »

Yes but it doesn't mean its wrong.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 10:16:01 AM »

Yes.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 10:20:22 AM »

If something is "transphobic" but "not wrong" then "transphobic" doesn't mean anything (or it is wrong).
Terlylane
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 11:24:54 AM »

No
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 01:45:34 PM »

If something is "transphobic" but "not wrong" then "transphobic" doesn't mean anything (or it is wrong).

I read lfromnj's comment as "yeah it's transphobic but I think transphobia is good"
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 02:41:46 PM »

You're learning.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 06:28:47 PM »

No. The author specifically states that they are taking neither the side of transgender activists nor the side of some feminists:
The debate has become toxic, with trans rights activists and some feminist campaigners taking opposing sides.

The Guardian rejects the idea that one of these positions is the right one – and the other wrong.

This line particularly seems to be controversial:
Any new law must not give violent or controlling male prisoners a new opportunity to dominate women by changing gender and transferring to a female prison.
And while some may consider it to be classifying all transgender people who become female, it doesn't. It is simply stating that it is important to place certain restrictions on transgender rights for prisoners to avoid people of taking advantage of the system. Is the statement completely correct? Maybe; depends on your opinion. Transphobic? No.

They don't take anti-transgender positions, they just say that the rights of transgenders shouldn't come at the expense of the rights of women:
Women’s concerns about sharing dormitories or changing rooms with “male-bodied” people must be taken seriously. These are not just questions of safety but of dignity and fairness.
While one may disagree with this statement, it certainly doesn't demean or insult transgenders, it just states that opposing opinions should be respected and thought over.

So, no. The article is at worst insensitive to transgender issues, not transphobic.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 07:53:51 PM »

No. The author specifically states that they are taking neither the side of transgender activists nor the side of some feminists:

The debate has become toxic, with trans rights activists and some feminist campaigners taking opposing sides.

I'm not racist, but...
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 12:00:28 PM »

I read lfromnj's comment as "yeah it's transphobic but I think transphobia is good"

Sure, but I would note my definition is more broad. I do believe it is transphobic to refuse to date a trans woman/men but that doesn't mean I actually disapprove of someone taking that action.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies