SB 30-12: Sticking it to the Man Act (Final Vote) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:08:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 30-12: Sticking it to the Man Act (Final Vote) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 30-12: Sticking it to the Man Act (Final Vote)  (Read 2820 times)
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« on: July 12, 2021, 09:34:26 PM »

Quote from: Amendment Offered
Sticking it to the Man Act

A BILL

Be it enacted by the House of Representatives and the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,

SECTION I
No school which receives federal funding from the government of Atlasia may suspend, expel, or otherwise punish a student for any of the following reasons:

1) wearing their hair in a certain style or having dyed or colored hair
2) expressing opinions or beliefs during time allocated for students to speak or ask questions which do not demean or harass other students, or wearing articles of clothing displaying a social or political message.
3) praying or otherwise practicing their religion at school, as long as the prayers are done without significantly disturbing the class or if they are done during a time of recess
4) peacefully walking out of class as part of a protest or political movement
5) actions that occurred outside of school provided they did not bully or harass another student, or result in the student's arrest

SECTION II

1) No school in the Republic of Atlasia may prevent a student from graduating or passing a class due to debts incurred, including but not limited to lunch debt and unreturned library books, provided they satisfy all other requirements.
2) No school which receives federal funding from the government of Atlasia may prevent a student from graduating or passing a class due to absences incurred, provided they receive a passing grade and satisfy all other requirements.

Passed 7-0-0-1 in the Atlasian House assembled

Wasn't Yankee's amendment (as shown above) passed by the Senate and included in the final version? Or am I missing something?

In addition, if we are engaging in debate on this bill, I agree with Spark that §II.1 should read to only include schools receiving federal funding. Aside from these two concerns, I am in support of the bill.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 01:14:01 AM »

The bill as present is the version in FalterinArc's most recent post. I'm not exactly sure if debate is allowed at this point based on previous comments made by FalterinArc though the decision is up to Scott (and seeing as we are already essentially debating the distinction seems more academic than anything at this point).
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 09:44:21 PM »

Nay.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 04:55:59 PM »

I don't see why we need to ban school uniforms.

This bill would only apply to schools which receive federal funding. School uniforms only function to impose conformity and stifle freedom of expression. If parents want their kids to dress like everybody else, private schools will remain an option.

That's most schools, many of which have school uniforms. There isn't a big detriment to uniforms nor has such a significant change gotten the debate it needs, so let the teachers decide.

I will say at least from my own anecdotal observations, though it may be different abroad, very few schools (in RL America and by extension Atlasia) that receive federal funding have uniforms. Almost all schools that use uniforms are private -- the culture around school uniforms is just different here.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 11:33:49 PM »

Aye.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies