SB 30-12: Sticking it to the Man Act (Final Vote) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:39:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 30-12: Sticking it to the Man Act (Final Vote) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 30-12: Sticking it to the Man Act (Final Vote)  (Read 2887 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« on: June 30, 2021, 02:55:49 AM »

This is a bit late, but wouldn't 2. go against schools having uniforms, of which there must be some that get federal funding?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 03:10:15 AM »

Objecting to the final vote, so that we can address and likely amend clause 2 based on the concern I raised.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 03:56:26 PM »

According to recent data over 20% of schools have uniforms in the US now, is that not accurate? It's an open debate and the government shouldn't be deciding it, so I am objecting to the final vote, and amending clause 2 to read as follows-
2) expressing opinions or beliefs during time allocated for students to speak or ask questions which do not demean or harass other students, or wearing articles of clothing displaying a social or political message.
a) Protections on wearing articles of clothing shall not apply where they conflict with school rules that are not in place for a political purpose.

If you want it worded differently I'm open to suggestions though.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 06:50:03 PM »

Aye
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 01:29:53 AM »

I would like to know why people are voting Aye or Nay here. Can we have some input? It seems like a good amendment.

"school rules that are not in place for a political purpose" basically undermines the whole idea of the bill since almost any school rule could be interpreted as fitting this requirement, and what "political purpose" means is quite vague.

Do you have an idea of different wording to achieve the same goal?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 03:31:52 PM »

I don't see why we need to ban school uniforms.

This bill would only apply to schools which receive federal funding. School uniforms only function to impose conformity and stifle freedom of expression. If parents want their kids to dress like everybody else, private schools will remain an option.

That's most schools, many of which have school uniforms. There isn't a big detriment to uniforms nor has such a significant change gotten the debate it needs, so let the teachers decide.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 07:15:22 PM »

Reluctant Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies