SB 30-12: Sticking it to the Man Act (Final Vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:54:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 30-12: Sticking it to the Man Act (Final Vote)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: SB 30-12: Sticking it to the Man Act (Final Vote)  (Read 2810 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2021, 06:27:22 PM »

Aye
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2021, 02:55:49 AM »

This is a bit late, but wouldn't 2. go against schools having uniforms, of which there must be some that get federal funding?
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2021, 11:28:16 AM »

This passes the senate 5-0-0-1

Aye: Blair, Spark, SevenEleven, FalterinArc, Yankee
Nay:
Abstain
Didn’t Vote: Pericles
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2021, 10:46:11 PM »

Sticking it to the Man Act

A BILL

Be it enacted by the House of Representatives and the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,

SECTION I
No school which receives federal funding from the government of Atlasia may suspend, expel, or otherwise punish a student for any of the following reasons:

1) wearing their hair in a certain style or having dyed or colored hair
2) expressing opinions or beliefs during time allocated for students to speak or ask questions which do not demean or harass other students, or wearing articles of clothing displaying a social or political message.
3) praying or otherwise practicing their religion at school, as long as the prayers are done without significantly disturbing the class or if they are done during a time of recess
4) peacefully walking out of class as part of a protest or political movement
5) actions that occurred outside of school provided they did not bully or harass another student, or result in the student's arrest

SECTION II

1) No school in the Republic of Atlasia may prevent a student from graduating or passing a class due to debts incurred, including but not limited to lunch debt and unreturned library books, provided they satisfy all other requirements.
2) No school which receives federal funding from the government of Atlasia may prevent a student from graduating or passing a class due to absences incurred, provided they receive a passing grade and satisfy all other requirements.

Passed 7-0-0-1 in the Atlasian House assembled

People's Regional Senate
Passed 5-0-0-1 in the People's Regional Senate

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2021, 12:27:33 PM »

FalterinArc has told me that this bill needs a second final vote. This originally would have gone back to the House for a final vote, but that was not done by the time it dissolved.

A second final vote will open in 24 hours with no objection.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2021, 03:10:15 AM »

Objecting to the final vote, so that we can address and likely amend clause 2 based on the concern I raised.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2021, 03:13:22 AM »

This is a bit late, but wouldn't 2. go against schools having uniforms, of which there must be some that get federal funding?

As a general rule, I oppose school uniforms. The way I interpret the bill, it would allow students more freedom of expression.

Also, if anything I would scrap the prohibition on social or political messages, or at least modify the section to allow non-offensive speech (e.g. pro-choice versus pro-life shirts).
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2021, 08:50:21 AM »

Objecting to the final vote, so that we can address and likely amend clause 2 based on the concern I raised.
Not sure you can actually object to a final vote considering in the bicameral system the votes on amended bills (Which we are doing now) would proceed immediately. We’re not really opening it up to another round of debate here so I would advise Scott to start the vote though the decision is up to him.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2021, 09:13:15 AM »

How does the federal government have authority in the case the Section II 1? Shouldn't it be restricted to schools receiving federal funding.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2021, 09:34:26 PM »

Quote from: Amendment Offered

A BILL

Be it enacted by the House of Representatives and the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,

SECTION I
No school which receives federal funding from the government of Atlasia may suspend, expel, or otherwise punish a student for any of the following reasons:

2) expressing opinions or beliefs during time allocated for students to speak or ask questions which do not demean or harass other students, or wearing articles of clothing displaying a social or political message.
3) praying or otherwise practicing their religion at school, as long as the prayers are done without significantly disturbing the class or if they are done during a time of recess
5) actions that occurred outside of school provided they did not bully or harass another student, or result in the student's arrest

SECTION II

1) No school in the Republic of Atlasia may prevent a student from graduating or passing a class due to debts incurred, including but not limited to lunch debt and unreturned library books, provided they satisfy all other requirements.
2) No school which receives federal funding from the government of Atlasia may prevent a student from graduating or passing a class due to absences incurred, provided they receive a passing grade and satisfy all other requirements.

Wasn't Yankee's amendment (as shown above) passed by the Senate and included in the final version? Or am I missing something?

In addition, if we are engaging in debate on this bill, I agree with Spark that §II.1 should read to only include schools receiving federal funding. Aside from these two concerns, I am in support of the bill.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2021, 10:32:30 PM »

Quote from: Amendment Offered

A BILL

SECTION I

SECTION II

Wasn't Yankee's amendment (as shown above) passed by the Senate and included in the final version? Or am I missing something?
It was, I just forgot about it Tongue
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2021, 12:43:21 AM »

As a general rule, I oppose school uniforms. The way I interpret the bill, it would allow students more freedom of expression.

Also, if anything I would scrap the prohibition on social or political messages, or at least modify the section to allow non-offensive speech (e.g. pro-choice versus pro-life shirts).
There's no prohibition on social or political messages. It's meant to protect those.

"expressing opinions or beliefs during time allocated for students to speak or ask questions which do not demean or harass other students, or wearing articles of clothing displaying a social or political message."

The second clause after the comma doesn't tie in to the first one.

And I agree with Scott that I'm against school uniforms (and they're not very common here anyways). Dress codes are usually too restrictive.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2021, 12:25:50 AM »

Ah, where do we stand here?
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2021, 01:14:01 AM »

The bill as present is the version in FalterinArc's most recent post. I'm not exactly sure if debate is allowed at this point based on previous comments made by FalterinArc though the decision is up to Scott (and seeing as we are already essentially debating the distinction seems more academic than anything at this point).
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2021, 02:07:27 AM »

I'd like to motion for a final vote then
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2021, 02:11:11 AM »

We're not required to suspend debate in a new legislature, but we can when necessary. Thanks to MB for clarifying my interpretation of the bill.

I'll open a final vote in 24 hours if nobody enters an objection.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2021, 03:56:26 PM »

According to recent data over 20% of schools have uniforms in the US now, is that not accurate? It's an open debate and the government shouldn't be deciding it, so I am objecting to the final vote, and amending clause 2 to read as follows-
a) Protections on wearing articles of clothing shall not apply where they conflict with school rules that are not in place for a political purpose.

If you want it worded differently I'm open to suggestions though.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2021, 05:25:17 PM »

Objection to the amendment, because I think it should be voted on, though I think we have to vote on whether to move to a final vote first.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2021, 05:49:49 PM »

a) Protections on wearing articles of clothing shall not apply where they conflict with school rules that are not in place for a political purpose.

Senators, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

Objection to the amendment, because I think it should be voted on, though I think we have to vote on whether to move to a final vote first.

Not necessarily unless MB wants to, but I'd rather we deal with the amendment. Anyone is free to object.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2021, 05:50:41 PM »

Nay
AGA
Atlas Politician