Which of these American wars were justified?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:26:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Which of these American wars were justified?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: .
War of Independence

War of 1812

Civil War (Union side)

Civil War (Confederate side)

Indian Wars

Spanish American War

Philipine American War

World War I

World War II

Korean War

Vietnam War

Gulf War

Afghanistan War

Iraq War

1989 Invasion of Panama

French and Indian War

NOTA

Mexican American War

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which of these American wars were justified?  (Read 3338 times)
(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2021, 08:48:36 PM »

The whole notion of Manifest Destiny is morally indefensible and based upon genocide.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2021, 09:08:30 AM »

The US entry into World War I was justified. The Germans resumed unrestricted submarine warfare and sank 7 US merchant ships. The US can't just sit there and be attacked. That's why the previously dovish President Wilson and and overwhelming majority of Congress went for it.
but why were we only shipping things to one side of the fight?  If we were selling things to both sides, the British would have been sinking our ships too, should we have gotten in a fight with them?
(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2021, 09:54:06 AM »

Why do people think letting the Kaiser’s Reich win is OK? Just ask some of their Namibian subjects - OH WAIT - YOU CAN’T!
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2021, 02:15:46 PM »

Why do people think letting the Kaiser’s Reich win is OK? Just ask some of their Namibian subjects - OH WAIT - YOU CAN’T!
Yeah thank goodness the British, French, and Belgians were such benevolent colonial masters who would nev- oh wait....
LtNOWIS

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2021, 08:52:31 PM »

The US entry into World War I was justified. The Germans resumed unrestricted submarine warfare and sank 7 US merchant ships. The US can't just sit there and be attacked. That's why the previously dovish President Wilson and and overwhelming majority of Congress went for it.
but why were we only shipping things to one side of the fight?  If we were selling things to both sides, the British would have been sinking our ships too, should we have gotten in a fight with them?
We did trade things with both sides. When the Germans sent some "merchant submarines" past the British blockade, we traded with them.

But in any event, the British boarded or turned away US ships that tried to trade with Germany. The Germans sank ships that to reach the UK, resulting in loss of life. The US obviously didn't like that. This was not because the Germans were morally worse than the British, it's because they had the smaller Navy and did what they had to do. But the US certainly didn't like having its citizens die.

When Germany resumed unrestricted submarine warfare in 1917, they knew it would lead to certain war with the US, but gambled that they could win before US might was brought to bear.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2021, 10:13:12 AM »

The American Revolution and World War II stand out as the most necessary wars... the first for obvious reasons and the second because it was literally that or die.
wimp
themiddleman
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2021, 11:32:05 AM »

I'm surprised at how many votes the War of Independence got. To me it doesn't have as presentable of a Manichean good-vs-evil narrative as the Civil War or WWII.

I'm suspicious of anyone who claims that the American Revolution was justified but not the War of 1812 or the French and Indian War.

I could see someone supporting the Revolution but not the Seven Years War from an anti-imperialist or pro-French perspective.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies