FT 20.01 Senatorial Constituencies Amendment (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:18:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 20.01 Senatorial Constituencies Amendment (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 20.01 Senatorial Constituencies Amendment (Passed)  (Read 343 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 01, 2021, 01:25:04 AM »
« edited: June 09, 2021, 10:05:05 PM by Unconditional Surrender Truman »

AN AMENDMENT
to the constitution of the Commonwealth of Frémont

Section 1 (Title)
i. The long title of this amendment shall be, the "Amendment to Accord with the Fifth Federal Constitution—Senatorial Constituencies Amendment." It may be cited as the "Senatorial Constituencies Amendment" or as the "Fourteenth Amendment."

Section 2 (Amendment)
i. Article IV of the Second Constitution of the Commonwealth of Frémont shall be amended to read as follows.

Section 1. The sovereign people of this commonwealth reserve the right to be represented in the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia by a number of senators equal to that allowed to her other sister regions by the constitution of the republic.

Section 2. One senator shall be chosen by the whole body of the eligible voters of Frémont to represent the entire commonwealth. Such choice shall proceed in the months of February, June, and October; the senator so chosen shall serve a term of four months, and shall have the title of Senator from Frémont at-large.

Section 3. The commonwealth shall chose a further two senators from such subregional senatorial constituencies into which the commonwealth may be divided.

The first senatorial constituency shall comprise the states of Alaska, Atlasian Samoa, California, Guam, Hawaii, the Northern Mariana Islands, Oregon, and Washington, and the second shall comprise the states of Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Iowa, Montana, Minnesota, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Nebraska, South Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming. If ever the state of Kansas or any of the other states lying west of the Mississippi River should be ceded by the Southern Region to the Commonwealth of Frémont in a manner consistent with the constitution of the Republic of Atlasia and the laws of their respective governments, they shall form part of the second senatorial constituency.

The voters of each constituency shall elect one senator in the months of April, August, and October; such senators shall serve a term of four months, and shall have the title of Senator from Frémont's First or Second Senatorial District, respectively.

Section 4. No person shall be a senator who is not a lawful citizen of Frémont, and no Frémonter shall represent any constituency in the Senate other than that in which they reside.

Section 4. Should a vacancy occur in the representation of this commonwealth in the Senate, the first minister shall appoint an interim senator to serve until such time as a by-election may be held in accordance with the laws of the commonwealth.

ii. Article V§1 of the Second Constitution of the Commonwealth of Frémont shall be amended to read as follows.

Section 1. The right to vote in all elections called according to the provisions of this Constitution shall be exclusive to those persons being eligible to vote in elections for President of the Republic of Atlasia who have been registered to vote in one of the states or external territories of this Region, or of the relevant senatorial constituency, as defined by law, for a period of at least 168 hours prior to the commencement of the election, and who have not been registered to vote in any other region or senatorial constituency, as the case may be, at any time in the preceding 1,344 hours.

(a) Nothing in this amendment shall be construed as to deny the right of any citizen to vote who was lawfully registered in one of the states or external territories of Frémont on or before May 28, 2021.
Sponsor: Harry S Truman, FM

I invoke my prerogative as president of parliament to assume the powers of the speaker and bring this bill to the floor.

The chair recognizes the first minister.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 01:38:45 AM »

The late ratification by the regions of the Federal Fifth Constitution requires certain changes to our regional frame of government in order to accord with changes to this commonwealth's representation in the Senate —as well as other changes affecting voting rights in federal and regional elections. It is my belief that we should not merely rely on the federal instruments, but that the constitution of our commonwealth should reflect this new arrangement, and should further clarify some points on which the federal document is unclear (namely the nature of the subregional constituencies and their relationship to the whole region).

On the subject of these constituencies, there has been much discussion as to the names which may be adopted for them: the federal instrument suggests "Pacific" and "Mountain West" —others have suggested "Interior West," "Truman" (n.b. not my idea!), "Bgwah," and various others. I have proposed that these constituencies be referred to officially as the First and Second Senatorial Districts, for two reasons:

(1) It is important, in light of confusion that has already arise as to the nature of these constituencies, to emphasize that they are indeed subdivisions of Frémont which exist solely for the purpose of senatorial elections, and not regions or political communities in their own right. We have been engaged for the last four years in uniting the Frémonter people: I would not see that work undone by encouraging Frémonters to divide along geographic lines. In my view, the use of personal names for these constituencies in an official capacity encourages the suggestion that Frémont is being partitioned, a thing no Frémonter ought to accept.

(2) However from a colloquial point of view, it is inevitable that people should propose their own names for these constituencies according to geography, cultural, or other signifiers. Rather than discourage creativity by singling out one name as officially sanctioned and disowning all others, referring to these constituencies officially only as districts allows the people to use whatever name suits their inclination.

Thoughts?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 12:28:57 PM »

Well okay then, I move for a vote. Members have 24 hours to object.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 01:14:16 PM »

First Minister, I would like to object as I have a proposed revision to your amendment. I suggest that we name the two Senatorial constituencies Western Frémont and Eastern Frémont or Frémont West and Frémont East as is done with parliamentary constituencies in Great Britain. This would provide clarity about the geography of the constituencies without downplaying our identity as Frémonters.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 04:47:57 PM »

First Minister, I would like to object as I have a proposed revision to your amendment. I suggest that we name the two Senatorial constituencies Western Frémont and Eastern Frémont or Frémont West and Frémont East as is done with parliamentary constituencies in Great Britain. This would provide clarity about the geography of the constituencies without downplaying our identity as Frémonters.
I thought of this, but is not "Eastern Frémont" a contradiction in terms? Regardless, we can certainly consider an amendment if you would like to propose one.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 08:24:16 PM »

Not sure if Kuumo decided not to introduce an amendment after all Tongue but in any case, we will now proceed to a vote. Members will vote aye, nay, or abstain. Voting will last 48 hours or until all members have voted.

Aye.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 10:04:51 PM »

With one vote in favor and four members not voting, the motion is agreed to.

Do better, you guys. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies