Summer of Football thread: Euro 2020(1), Copa America, CONCACAF Gold Cup
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:14:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Summer of Football thread: Euro 2020(1), Copa America, CONCACAF Gold Cup
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Author Topic: Summer of Football thread: Euro 2020(1), Copa America, CONCACAF Gold Cup  (Read 10085 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2021, 12:40:50 PM »

You are never going to convince me this isn't spot/match fixing.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2021, 05:09:46 PM »

Italy won another match 3-0 tonight, against Switzerland, and automatically qualified to knock-out stage. Very pleasant!

The funniest thing is that Italy had never scored more than two goals in a single match of the final phase of the European Cup before, and now it has done twice consecutively. That's not unexpected from this current squad, however.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2021, 06:57:00 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2021, 07:22:48 PM by NewYorkExpress »

I don't know if it's an upset or not, but Wales beat Turkey easily, 2-0.

With the draw against Switzerland, and the victory against Turkey, all Wales has to do against Italy is get one point, and they're through to the knockout round.

Hell, they might be through with a loss, provided it isn't a blowout, and either Turkey beats Switzerland, or Wales finishes as one of the best third place teams.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2021, 10:03:27 PM »

The funniest thing is that Italy had never scored more than two goals in a single match of the final phase of the European Cup before, and now it has done twice consecutively. That's not unexpected from this current squad, however.
The Italian squad, with the possible exception of full-backs, is extremely well-balanced, and will only get better when Verratti comes back, although let's face it - Switzerland is quite bad. Sommer is the only player who would get within a mile of even the Italian bench. Still, an impressive win.
AelroseB

« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2021, 03:51:00 PM »

Scotland hold their own against England in a scoreless draw.  Great game to watch.  For the players?  Less so lol.
GenerationTerrorist
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2021, 04:53:14 PM »

That was absolutely abysmal from England.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2021, 01:14:23 PM »

Germany quite frankly played Portugal off the pitch today, although defensive frailties were still present. All the dismissive takes after what was by no means an especially bad performance against France are looking rather silly now.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2021, 01:21:35 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2021, 01:31:40 PM by Mike88 »

Germany quite frankly played Portugal off the pitch today, although defensive frailties were still present. All the dismissive takes after what was by no means an especially bad performance against France are looking rather silly now.

Indeed, in fact the signs were already there in the game against Hungary. Portugal had immense difficulties against a very weak Hungary and was only able to score as Hungary just gave up at a certain point. Let's see how it goes with France, although I think it will be very difficult to defeat France. We'll see.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2021, 03:06:34 PM »

Indeed, in fact the signs were already there in the game against Hungary. Portugal had immense difficulties against a very weak Hungary and was only able to score as Hungary just gave up at a certain point. Let's see how it goes with France, although I think it will be very difficult to defeat France. We'll see.

Agreed. Portugal had two own goals, which was very unfortunate for them, though I'd say Germany deserved the win. Much stronger performance than against France. Portugal had a relatively strong finish, though; if the match went on for another ten minutes, it may have been 4:3 or 4:4.

I just noticed that three own goals now happened in the sole two matchups we participated in.
GenerationTerrorist
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2021, 03:59:41 PM »

Absolutely great day of Football. All 3 matches were brilliant to watch.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2021, 02:08:22 PM »

Seferovic scored! Probably that means hell is in the process is freezing over, but who cares, I don't think I've ever seen us score three goals in a single game before.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2021, 02:26:01 PM »

Turkey has been extremely disappointing. The group was not that hard, and other than the Italy game, it's not like they didn't have chances. With their quality at the back, they should not have shipped anywhere near 8 goals in 3 matches.

Then again, they've had horrible results against horrible teams leading into the tournament, so perhaps not surprising...
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2021, 01:25:34 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2021, 01:33:52 PM by Helsinkian »

Finland is currently hoping that France whoops Portugal 4-0 or something like that. That would allow Finland to advance (assuming that Germany doesn't lose to Hungary). I don't see that happening though. Smiley
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2021, 01:42:58 PM »

Gosh, watching Slovakia was painful at times.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2021, 04:34:40 PM »

England v. Germany, it is then, just about. Cue the full awfulness of the British tabloid press.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2021, 01:52:10 PM »

Round of 16 Predictions (predicted winner in bold):
Belgium vs Portugal
Italy vs Austria
France vs Switzerland
Croatia vs Spain
Sweden vs Ukraine
England vs Germany (I've changed my prediction compared to what I thought pre-tournament; I do see a fighting spirit in the German team that I really haven't seen in England)
Netherlands vs Czech Republic
Wales vs Denmark

One thing I'll point out is I find how the draw was done was a bit of a shame, the better teams almost all seem to be in France's half of the draw
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2021, 02:10:49 PM »

Round of 16 Predictions (predicted winner in bold):
Belgium vs Portugal
Italy vs Austria
France vs Switzerland
Croatia vs Spain
Sweden vs Ukraine
England vs Germany (I've changed my prediction compared to what I thought pre-tournament; I do see a fighting spirit in the German team that I really haven't seen in England)
Netherlands vs Czech Republic
Wales vs Denmark

One thing I'll point out is I find how the draw was done was a bit of a shame, the better teams almost all seem to be in France's half of the draw

I think the reason for the fighting spirit in the German team is due to the fact this championship is the end of Joachim Löw's 15 year tenure as coach. Yesterday, it was very close to being ended by a humiliating defeat against Hungary. (Probably he should have left in 2014 at the peak of his popularity and the world championship)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2021, 06:05:34 PM »

My Euro Round of 16 Predictions:

Wales defeats Denmark

Italy defeats Austria

Netherlands defeats the Czech Republic

Portugal defeats Belgium (on penalty kicks)

Spain defeats Croatia

France defeats Switzerland

England defeats Germany (on penalty kicks)

Ukraine defeats Sweden (in extra time)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2021, 06:26:28 PM »

I think the reason for the fighting spirit in the German team is due to the fact this championship is the end of Joachim Löw's 15 year tenure as coach. Yesterday, it was very close to being ended by a humiliating defeat against Hungary. (Probably he should have left in 2014 at the peak of his popularity and the world championship)
It is shocking that he has been allowed to preside over 7 years of decline, especially given the level of talent he has at his disposal. I can't see that happening at any of the other world giants or any top half UEFA country.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2021, 07:22:43 PM »

France and England really haven't impressed. I would say at this point the Italians are the favorite and the Dutch have looked right up there too along with Belgium.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2021, 09:12:20 PM »

Over in Copa America, we had a pretty healthy upset this evening, as Paraguay dominated Chile, 2-0 in Group A action.

That said, with Bolivia's loss to Uruguay today, both teams are going to advance to the quarterfinals anyways.

The big drama in the in the Copa America Group Stage is in Group B, where every team in the group that isn't Brazil has four or fewer points (Colombia, Peru, Ecuador and Venezuela), setting up a dogfight for the the three non-Brazil quarterfinal spots.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2021, 12:59:14 PM »

Denmark just destroyed Wales, 4-0.

Shades of 1992 all over again?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2021, 12:20:42 PM »

Lol, ESPN is calling Denmark's run a "fairy tale", completely ignoring that they were in a group with 2 useless teams and one of the weaker "big teams", 2/3 of teams progress from the group stage, and they played one of the worst teams on paper in Wales in the Round of 16.

Portugal 2016 - winning the tournament after winning only 1 game against Wales - was both a fairy tale and a bit of a disgrace.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2021, 03:53:17 PM »

Is it just me or has the officiating in the knockout rounds of the Euros not been great
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2021, 04:07:47 PM »

Lol, ESPN is calling Denmark's run a "fairy tale", completely ignoring that they were in a group with 2 useless teams and one of the weaker "big teams", 2/3 of teams progress from the group stage, and they played one of the worst teams on paper in Wales in the Round of 16.

Portugal 2016 - winning the tournament after winning only 1 game against Wales - was both a fairy tale and a bit of a disgrace.

My pre-tournament prediction was for Denmark to reach the semis. However, considering the events of their opening match, I think it is fair to say they have outperformed expectations in that regard.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies