Will the GOP moderate on economic or cultural issues first?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:27:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will the GOP moderate on economic or cultural issues first?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will the GOP moderate on economic or cultural issues first?  (Read 1593 times)
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2021, 07:31:24 PM »

The GOP has already moderated on social issues in the last 4 years (e.g. religion, lgbt, drugs), but is still very right-wing on cultural and economic issues (even though nowadays they prefer to emphasize the economic stuff).
So which will the GOP moderate first? As someone who spends a lot of time looking at online political discourse, I notice that almost all of the alt-right and even a lot of regular right-wing zoomers are openly leftist economically (such as the most popular/influential alt-rightist Nick Fuentes). Charlie Kirk/Ben Shapiro style conservatism has really lost popularity in the last couple years and even they are less focused on economics than they used to. Despite online conservatives talking about “marxism”, I noticed it’s almost always concerned with “cultural marxism”, which is referring to general trans/pro-immigrant stuff rather than marxist economics.
So it seems the younger and online right is willing to moderate on economics, but the GOP establishment and politicians are probably more willing to moderate on cultural issues.
Apart from Hawley and a couple others who are more willing to go populist, most GOP politicians value corporate donations over anything else, including policy and probably will not let corporate sucking up go.
What do you think? Which will give in?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 10:38:25 AM »

The GOP has already moderated on social issues in the last 4 years (e.g. religion, lgbt, drugs), but is still very right-wing on cultural and economic issues (even though nowadays they prefer to emphasize the economic stuff).
So which will the GOP moderate first? As someone who spends a lot of time looking at online political discourse, I notice that almost all of the alt-right and even a lot of regular right-wing zoomers are openly leftist economically (such as the most popular/influential alt-rightist Nick Fuentes). Charlie Kirk/Ben Shapiro style conservatism has really lost popularity in the last couple years and even they are less focused on economics than they used to. Despite online conservatives talking about “marxism”, I noticed it’s almost always concerned with “cultural marxism”, which is referring to general trans/pro-immigrant stuff rather than marxist economics.
So it seems the younger and online right is willing to moderate on economics, but the GOP establishment and politicians are probably more willing to moderate on cultural issues.
Apart from Hawley and a couple others who are more willing to go populist, most GOP politicians value corporate donations over anything else, including policy and probably will not let corporate sucking up go.
What do you think? Which will give in?

The ironic part of all of this is that a lot of these very conservative celebrities, philosophers, and politicians is that their unique ways of doubling down or trying to meet liberals half way or at least there way of talking about it is "cultural marxism".
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 01:33:29 PM »

Economic. I think they will continue with culture wars on issues like abortion, immigration, guns rights and religion. At the same time support a little more welfare state. At least this has proven to be a successful route for parties like PiS in Poland. The focus on these issues drives more people to the polls and vise versa. Not to mention that their economic philosophy isn't that popular with a majority of the electorate.

I don't expect the party to moderate in the near future, though. During the second half of this decade at earliest.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 01:33:20 PM »

They haven't really moderated on social issues, they just stopped talking about the ones they are losing badly, like gay marriage.  It's over and settled.  They don't really embrace it they just moved on to discriminating against an easier target (transgender youth).  I expect them to continue to just quietly stop talking about issues rather than moderating because at their core most Republican politicians are in fact horrible human beings.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 09:19:11 PM »

Neither.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 09:27:59 PM »

Neither anytime soon.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 08:24:22 AM »

Economics, especially if Biden sees noticeable, undeniable success in this area over the course of the next three years.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2021, 07:07:47 AM »

It will continue to moderate on certain social (but not cultural) issues and moderate in rhetoric on economic issues. I do expect it to moderate in practice on economics at least a little (especially after McConnell’s gone), but only in so far as slowing the direction of travel as opposed to reversing course.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 10:24:12 AM »

I would expect some cultural issues. I think the GOP will continue to push for populistic economic messages for some time to come.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2021, 01:49:36 PM »

What do Democrats start to triangulate on?
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2021, 08:48:24 PM »

Economic. I think they will continue with culture wars on issues like abortion, immigration, guns rights and religion. At the same time support a little more welfare state. At least this has proven to be a successful route for parties like PiS in Poland. The focus on these issues drives more people to the polls and vise versa. Not to mention that their economic philosophy isn't that popular with a majority of the electorate.

I don't expect the party to moderate in the near future, though. During the second half of this decade at earliest.

The GOP base has largely adopted economic Trumpism, but the elected officials are mostly Reaganite Ayn Rand worshippers. Mitch McConnell is not willing to move a inch to the left economically.

Grover Norquist's no tax raise pledge has most elected GOP officials hostage as well.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2021, 10:43:40 AM »

Almost has to be on culture if they are serious about flipping state legislatures/getting the senate back post-2024. 

I think Republicans will continue to moderate gradually on economics, but they aren't in a particularly deep hole so there's not a ton of pressure like it's 1940 or something.  Still, there has been real movement, most notably on tariffs/trade, but also Reagan/Bush Sr. would never have sent out stimulus checks let alone campaigned to make them larger.  And I suspect the next Republican president will push for a federal VAT.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2021, 04:52:08 PM »

Why moderate your positions when you can just gerrymander, suppress the vote and even if you still lose the next election just get people in place who will refuse to certify the results?
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2021, 02:11:19 PM »

Almost has to be on culture if they are serious about flipping state legislatures/getting the senate back post-2024. 

I think Republicans will continue to moderate gradually on economics, but they aren't in a particularly deep hole so there's not a ton of pressure like it's 1940 or something.  Still, there has been real movement, most notably on tariffs/trade, but also Reagan/Bush Sr. would never have sent out stimulus checks let alone campaigned to make them larger.  And I suspect the next Republican president will push for a federal VAT.
I think democrats dropping abortion would usher in the religious left you talked about.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2021, 07:38:50 AM »

If I were Republican, I will moderate on LGBT, abortion, gun right, while focus on fighting big tech censorship, ban CRT, tough on crime. Also moderate on environment protection, immigration, health care, governmental spending.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2021, 04:48:31 AM »

This, they won't moderate on economic issues. They just don't talk about them anymore because supply side/reaganism is a proven electoral loser and doubling down on whining about cancel culture is all they have, especially since Biden has already coopted the appealing parts of a NatCon economic agenda.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2021, 08:07:57 PM »

They will radicalize on both economic and cultural issues.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2021, 07:01:26 PM »

Both simultaneously. Trumpism is well entrenched which likely means economic moderation among the newer congresspeople, and culturally they'll start to abandon non-winners (I think all anti-LGBT sentiment including the T will die down soon) and instead focus on cultural wars they can win, such as opposing "wokeness".
Vladimir Leninov
Tumpologist
Rookie
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2021, 02:56:11 AM »

Focus on the winnable issues, abortion, immigration, guns

and move left on economics

Follow eastern Europe and Latin america's method
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2021, 12:15:42 PM »

The mere existence of Josh Hawley proves to me that it's economics.
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2021, 05:42:22 PM »

It already has on economics, just not nearly as much as Trump campaigned on originally.  In this area, it's fascinating just how far the overton window has shifted due to COVID (see-Hawley joining Bernie for the 2K checks).

The GOP shouldn't moderate on cultural issues, because that's the only reason they win elections at all-If people voted on economic issues only, Democrats would win by LBJ/Goldwater margins every election*.  Also, a GOP that is pro-corprate but squishy on social issues (see- governors Noem and Hutchinson) is extraordinarily unpopular.  

*This is also a good argument for the GOP to moderate on economic issues.  People who are too online (ie many Atlas and Twitter liberals) forget that wide swaths of Democratic voters are more culturally or socially moderate/conservative than the median Democrat, said disaffected voters present an opportunity for the GOP.

Grover Norquist's no tax raise pledge has most elected GOP officials hostage as well.

This was true in 2011 or 2015.  But now?  I'm not so sure.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies