Goldwater gains outside the south
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:27:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Goldwater gains outside the south
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Goldwater gains outside the south  (Read 1341 times)
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2021, 11:09:34 AM »

According to a book I was recently reading Johnson gained over Goldwater in 99% of counties outside the south in 1964. Where were the 1% of counties where the opposite was true?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 12:04:24 PM »

A few counties in Idaho, plus one county each in AZ, NV, and NE, swung toward Goldwater.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 01:09:33 PM »

A few counties in Idaho, plus one county each in AZ, NV, and NE, swung toward Goldwater.

Idaho I guessed at least. Should have guessed AZ would have as well.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 02:26:18 PM »

Goldwater proably could have carried Idaho with just a slight bit more effort as it was 51/49.

I am assuming campaign polling proably wasnt as advanced then as it is today and he had no clue he would lose it by a razor.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 08:25:39 PM »

Emmons, ND, Camas, ID and Custer, ID were Kennedy/Goldwater.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 10:37:21 PM »

Really is pretty remarkable how uniform and complete Johnson's landslide was. Really shows just how toxic Goldwater was to the entire country, even the deep south. It's pretty obvious that he only won those few southern states off of what were essentially single-issue racial segregation voters at that point.

The Sixth Party System equivalent would have been something like the Democratic Party nominating Bernie Sanders in 2004.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2022, 02:57:00 PM »

As mentioned above, Idaho was one region of the country where Goldwater gained over Nixon. 1964 was the last time that Idaho voted Democratic. It was Johnson's closest win that year, as he carried it by 1.83%. Goldwater flipped Camas and Custer Counties, and in six other counties-Butte, Gooding, Lemhi, Lincoln, Jefferson, and Jerome-he ran ahead of Nixon's 1960 voteshare. Idaho also had one of the weakest swings of any state in the country (alongside Florida), as Nixon had won the state by 7.56%. I've read that civil rights was very unpopular in Idaho, and Idaho was already one of the most conservative states in the West by that point. Johnson did well enough in the traditionally Democratic Panhandle to flip the state.

As for Emmons County, its shift towards Goldwater can be attributed to the "Catholic" effect. Johnson did marginally worse among Catholics nationwide than Kennedy had, although he more than compensated for this minor drop by significantly outperforming Kennedy among Protestants, winning a solid majority of them (while Kennedy had obviously lost them in 1960). It may be similar to how Elk County, Pennsylvania and some other Catholic areas in Louisiana and elsewhere swung to Hoover in 1932, despite Hoover losing by a massive landslide to Franklin Roosevelt.
Joe McCarthy Was Right
Rookie
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2022, 06:38:59 PM »

Emmons broke against the incumbent party in every election from 1952 to 2016. 2020 broke that streak. Why? I don't know. German-Russian thing I guess.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2022, 06:43:27 PM »

Really is pretty remarkable how uniform and complete Johnson's landslide was. Really shows just how toxic Goldwater was to the entire country, even the deep south. It's pretty obvious that he only won those few southern states off of what were essentially single-issue racial segregation voters at that point.

The Sixth Party System equivalent would have been something like the Democratic Party nominating Bernie Sanders in 2004.

1964 is one of my favorite elections to analyze and read about, because it's the last time that the Democrats won a landslide and carried several states which will probably never vote Democratic in my lifetime.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies