Samoan election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:25:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Samoan election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Samoan election  (Read 1024 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 26, 2021, 05:04:21 AM »

While the previous ruling party was bad, they did win 55% of the vote and that equaling the same number as a party who got 41% is ludicrous.

Without getting too off topic, I wonder what the worst offending elections are. Wisconsin in 2018 and South Africa in 1948 come to mind.

With elections that weren't absurd gerrymanders (as seems to be the case in Samoa; the district borders are literally just straight lines), the answer is probably Canada 1979. Liberals won the popular vote by 4.2 points, but PCs won 22 more seats and almost got a majority.
Why would simple straight lines be an absurd gerrymander in a Samoan context? Especialy since it seems that no districts cross itūmālō boundaries and given the geography, straight lines are simply creating a bunch of districts running from the mountains to the ocean...
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 12:27:14 PM »

While the previous ruling party was bad, they did win 55% of the vote and that equaling the same number as a party who got 41% is ludicrous.

Without getting too off topic, I wonder what the worst offending elections are. Wisconsin in 2018 and South Africa in 1948 come to mind.

With elections that weren't absurd gerrymanders (as seems to be the case in Samoa; the district borders are literally just straight lines), the answer is probably Canada 1979. Liberals won the popular vote by 4.2 points, but PCs won 22 more seats and almost got a majority.
Why would simple straight lines be an absurd gerrymander in a Samoan context? Especialy since it seems that no districts cross itūmālō boundaries and given the geography, straight lines are simply creating a bunch of districts running from the mountains to the ocean...

Exactly. I reread that sentence after I posted it and thought "this sounds like the opposite of what I wanted to say" Tongue
Lol.
Well it happens...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies