Australia General Discussion 4.0: It ain’t easy under Albanese
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:42:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia General Discussion 4.0: It ain’t easy under Albanese
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 33
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion 4.0: It ain’t easy under Albanese  (Read 42086 times)
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: March 16, 2023, 07:27:55 AM »

Tomorrow is the Arafura by-election in the NT. Called due to the death of Labor member Lawrence Costa, won on a margin of 2.7%. It's a straight fight between Labor's Manuel Brown, the liaison officer for the ex-member and the Country Liberal's Leslie Tungutalum, son of former local member and first Aboriginal NT parliamentarian Hyacinth Tungutalum.

The seat of Arafura covers the Tiwi Islands (~25% of pop) and western Arnhem Land (~75% of pop), including world-famous Kakadu National Park. It has the highest share of Aboriginal population of all electorates at 82%, of the Tiwi, Kunwinjku and Burarra people.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #526 on: March 16, 2023, 10:19:30 AM »

So could this be a case of local and "ethnic" factors predominating?
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #527 on: March 17, 2023, 08:04:20 AM »

So could this be a case of local and "ethnic" factors predominating?

In an electorate of just 6,000 people in an area the size of Croatia to an extent they’re one and the same. Politics in the NT Outback is hyperlocalised, when there’s only 2,500 votes cast it’s inevitable really.
Only in the urban areas of Darwin-Palmerston and Alice Springs is politics more formal and ideological.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #528 on: March 18, 2023, 05:44:07 AM »

Final results now in for Arafura.

Turnout 52%, same as the last election. Pretty solid given it's the middle of the wet season in the Top End.
And a surprisingly thumping win for Labor's Manuel Brown, 69/31 2pp. You could interpret this (and Canberra journos will) as the Aboriginal community rejecting the CLP's opposition to the Voice, but it's likely more a mix of local issues and campaigning.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #529 on: March 21, 2023, 06:02:53 PM »

Holy crap, NSW Liberals really give Republicans a run for their money, don't they? Won't lie that I just discovered this guy a few days ago, but now I find myself pretty invested in seeing those corrupt bastards go down in the upcoming election. This level of industrial resource corruption literally in broad daylight is staggering.

AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #530 on: March 21, 2023, 06:05:28 PM »

Holy crap, NSW Liberals really give Republicans a run for their money, don't they?

If you think we're bad, just look at NSW Labor! Rex Jackson, Milton Orkopoulos, Eddie Obeid, Ian Macdonald and so much more
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #531 on: March 21, 2023, 06:13:02 PM »

Holy crap, NSW Liberals really give Republicans a run for their money, don't they?

If you think we're bad, just look at NSW Labor! Rex Jackson, Milton Orkopoulos, Eddie Obeid, Ian Macdonald and so much more

I mean, I looked them up and the first guy's been dead for a decade while the others seem like low-hanging fruit as far as 'party corruption' goes since those cases also seem old and they were all low-ranking MLA's (I may have the wrong term for members of the NSW legislature, please correct me if so) whereas what is being alleged at the top echelons of NSW Liberal leadership and the police seemingly helping to coverup resource corruption while literally forbidding opponents from talking about them + resource companies is insane to me.

Now I'm obviously a foreigner and also pretty new to Australian politics so I doubt I could hold my own genuinely debating these issues unless I did do a lot more research... And I realize that YT'er is apparently a pretty big firebrand for the center-left in NSW but even those on the right gotta admit the optics are terrible at the least.

I'm positive there is nuance that Australians have on this topic that I don't; but the ignoring of environmental protection laws for lumber production + once again, literally forbidding a critic from talking about that Lumber company online (or originally even USING social media!) is pretty shady.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #532 on: March 21, 2023, 06:20:29 PM »

I mean, I looked them up and the first guy's been dead for a decade while the others seem like low-hanging fruit as far as 'party corruption' goes since those cases also seem old and they were all low-ranking MLA's (I may have the wrong term for members of the NSW legislature, please correct me if so) whereas what is being alleged at the top echelons of NSW Liberal leadership and the police seemingly helping to coverup resource corruption while literally forbidding opponents from talking about them + resource companies is insane to me.

Now I'm obviously a foreigner and also pretty new to Australian politics so I doubt I could hold my own genuinely debating these issues unless I did do a lot more research... And I realize that YT'er is apparently a pretty big firebrand for the center-left in NSW but even those on the right gotta admit the optics are terrible at the least.

I'm positive there is nuance that Australians have on this topic that I don't; but the ignoring of environmental protection laws for lumber production + once again, literally forbidding a critic from talking about that Lumber company online (or originally even USING social media!) is pretty shady.
At least in regards to Eddie Obeid, his influence, iirc, was much more strong than his technical job title would suggest.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #533 on: March 21, 2023, 06:36:47 PM »

At least in regards to Eddie Obeid, his influence, iirc, was much more strong than his technical job title would suggest.

Reading more of his story also reveals he was part of the right-wing faction in Labor, which doesn't surprise me for a moment. So was the Macdonald guy, as an apparent ally of Obeid who wrote an op-ed in 2004 calling for NSW to 'Dump the left'. Orkopoulos is just a disgusting perv as far as sexual abuse against minors is concerned and the Rex Jackson guy I couldn't find much about. At least the first two seem like scummy old-school right-of-center culturally but Labor affiliated backroom politics type of guys.

In any case, 4 more days and we'll see how things turn out. Seems like Labor has a narrow lead in most TPP polls hovering around 52-53%.

Whose currently more dominant in the NSW Labor party as far as the right and left wing factions go?
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #534 on: March 21, 2023, 08:37:33 PM »

Re Rex Jackson, he was Wran’s Prisons Minister. Got into some gambling debts, took a bribe to grant parole to “friends” of his “creditors”. Wran was also neck deep into police corruption. Not to mention the Murray Farquhar affair.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #535 on: March 21, 2023, 08:46:20 PM »

Whose currently more dominant in the NSW Labor party as far as the right and left wing factions go?

The NSW Right has held hegemony over the state party since the 50s thanks to the split being averted north of the Murray, and is still the most powerful federal grouping even if the Left holds a narrow federal majority. The NSW Left faction has long been neutered and controlled, and has better relations with the right than in other states. Until 2009 the NSW Labor branch was an electoral juggernaut which granted them even more national influence. Their electoral meltdown of the last 15 years has damaged that, and power within the Federal party has been shifting towards the Victorian branch, which has been left controlled for a while now however with incredibly bitter and acrimonious relations between their messy factions.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #536 on: March 21, 2023, 09:05:33 PM »

The NSW Right has held hegemony over the state party since the 50s thanks to the split being averted north of the Murray, and is still the most powerful federal grouping even if the Left holds a narrow federal majority. The NSW Left faction has long been neutered and controlled, and has better relations with the right than in other states. Until 2009 the NSW Labor branch was an electoral juggernaut which granted them even more national influence. Their electoral meltdown of the last 15 years has damaged that, and power within the Federal party has been shifting towards the Victorian branch, which has been left controlled for a while now however with incredibly bitter and acrimonious relations between their messy factions.

Disappointing. Thank you for giving me more insight!
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #537 on: March 21, 2023, 09:39:55 PM »

You shouldn’t be disappointed, it isn’t like factional control has an impact on policy. It’s more about pre-selections and union favouritism, policy is jointly decided in private between the factions and the usual pollsters and focus groups. (Public) Disunity is Death
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #538 on: March 22, 2023, 04:43:26 AM »

You shouldn’t be disappointed, it isn’t like factional control has an impact on policy. It’s more about pre-selections and union favouritism, policy is jointly decided in private between the factions and the usual pollsters and focus groups. (Public) Disunity is Death

Not to worry, we are not as united as everyone believes.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #539 on: March 22, 2023, 04:52:25 AM »

Not to worry, we are not as united as everyone believes.

That’s an entirely seperate issue. *Public* Unity is Labor’s mantra after all. The party room might be beyond divided on a policy, but once the decision is made everyone faithfully follows the whip and doesn’t complain on record.

Contrast with the Coalition’s long-standing acceptance of floor crossing and our joyful public disunity.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #540 on: March 28, 2023, 08:24:27 PM »

Paul Brereton has been nominated to head up the NACC. Excellent choice by Dreyfus; Brereton is the sort of man the NACC needs: Deep investigator, politically impartial, unflinchingly honest.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #541 on: March 30, 2023, 03:35:09 AM »

So Mark Latham has made some disgusting comments regarding Alex greenwich, the Independent gay MP for Sydney.

I won't repeat them here because they are beyond disgusting. Go on Twitter and have a look at them if you so desire.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #542 on: March 30, 2023, 05:40:22 AM »

So Mark Latham has made some disgusting comments regarding Alex greenwich, the Independent gay MP for Sydney.

I won't repeat them here because they are beyond disgusting. Go on Twitter and have a look at them if you so desire.

It seems he's gone too far even for Pauline Hanson.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #543 on: March 30, 2023, 05:53:01 AM »

Latham made the comments on Twitter on Thursday morning in response to an article in which Greenwich called Latham “a disgusting human being”. The article was about LGBTQ+ protesters being targeted outside an event Latham spoke at earlier this month.

Only Mark Latham could respond to an article that calls him disgusting in a way that makes Pauline Hanson call him disgusting.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #544 on: March 30, 2023, 07:38:47 AM »

Latham made the comments on Twitter on Thursday morning in response to an article in which Greenwich called Latham “a disgusting human being”. The article was about LGBTQ+ protesters being targeted outside an event Latham spoke at earlier this month.

Only Mark Latham could respond to an article that calls him disgusting in a way that makes Pauline Hanson call him disgusting.

Latham's response to that situation actually proved Greenwich's point, I'd say.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #545 on: March 30, 2023, 07:50:09 AM »

Michael Kroger will be keen to get his comments from 7 days ago removed from the internet:

Mark Latham

https://youtu.be/SbE_JGz0Cq8

It gets Pauline back in the spotlight for her 5 minutes

Pauline Hanson

https://youtu.be/pwyG7nMlUOc

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #546 on: March 30, 2023, 08:18:50 AM »

Clive Palmer sues Australia for $300Bn.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-30/clive-palmer-to-sue-australia-for-300b-over-iron-ore-project/102166246

He might win, but we won't pay up.

AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #547 on: March 31, 2023, 01:39:21 AM »

Aston by-election tomorrow. If the Liberals manage to lose it Dutton may be rolled. The first big test of his 10 months of leadership.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #548 on: April 01, 2023, 03:45:54 AM »

Aston by-election tomorrow. If the Liberals manage to lose it Dutton may be rolled. The first big test of his 10 months of leadership.

6.6% swing to Labor with about 25% counted so far...
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #549 on: April 01, 2023, 04:16:17 AM »

For the first time in 100 years the government will gain a by-election seat from the opposition. On a very solid 6% swing in a suburban representative seat. We‘ll see tomorrow, but this may be the beginning of the end for Dutton’s leadership.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 33  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies