Australia General Discussion 4.0: It ain’t easy under Albanese
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:50:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia General Discussion 4.0: It ain’t easy under Albanese
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 33
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion 4.0: It ain’t easy under Albanese  (Read 41980 times)
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: February 06, 2023, 07:27:17 AM »

Aaand we're stuck with her for five more years. What a shambles.
At least you’ve got Jacqui Lambie sharing a de facto veto over government legislation ☺️
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #501 on: February 06, 2023, 07:56:42 AM »

Australian Senate doing its own thing again Cheesy
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #502 on: February 06, 2023, 04:43:25 PM »

So Lidia Thorpe has quit the Greens.

She is truly a left wing clone of Pauline Hanson. She wants to be Australia's AOC, but lack a single one of AOC's qualities.

I haven't followed Australian politics that closely lately, but I still don't understand why exactly she opposed the Voice.

Long story short: She had no real objections. She saw it as a chance to grandstand because, like Hanson, she's a narcissist.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #503 on: February 07, 2023, 03:59:05 AM »

Yes. This is a real headline. This is not Betoota Advocate. It is real.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #504 on: February 07, 2023, 06:37:54 PM »

Ben Fordham having a crack at Albanese on the issue of the welfare card.

https://omny.fm/shows/ben-fordham-full-show/soft-as-sponge-cake-ben-slams-labor-for-scrapping

Calling him "soft as a sponge".
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #505 on: February 07, 2023, 06:39:46 PM »

Ben Fordham having a crack at Albanese on the issue of the welfare card.

https://omny.fm/shows/ben-fordham-full-show/soft-as-sponge-cake-ben-slams-labor-for-scrapping

Calling him "soft as a sponge".

I can't say what my opinion of Fordham is because this is a good Christian forum and not a secular blog.

In other news, Sky breaks the irony metre again:

AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #506 on: February 08, 2023, 08:57:16 PM »

Member for Aston Alan Tudge is set to resign. Unknown what excuse he'll use to deflect from abusing his mistress.

Speculation is already mounting that Josh Frydenberg will take the opportunity to run in the by-election and return to politics.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #507 on: February 09, 2023, 11:48:41 PM »

Senate staff have decided to seat the now Independent Senator Thorpe next to Pauline Hanson. Neither are happy. Quite possibly an excellent troll by the senate functionaries.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #508 on: February 10, 2023, 05:27:55 AM »

Senate staff have decided to seat the now Independent Senator Thorpe next to Pauline Hanson. Neither are happy. Quite possibly an excellent troll by the senate functionaries.

I noticed the networks are starting to interview Pauline again.

Better than that horror movie from Tasmania.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #509 on: February 13, 2023, 07:29:25 AM »

Finally, some cause for celebration from the Albanese government: about 20,000 people who have been languishing on temporary protection visas for 10 years, unable to obtain a pathway to citizenship since Kevin Rudd was last PM, have been given the green light to begin applying for permanent residency.  I happen to know that quite a number of the people caught up in this situation aren't eligible from today's announcement, so hopefully more will follow.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #510 on: February 13, 2023, 08:06:03 AM »

Finally, some cause for celebration from the Albanese government: about 20,000 people who have been languishing on temporary protection visas for 10 years, unable to obtain a pathway to citizenship since Kevin Rudd was last PM, have been given the green light to begin applying for permanent residency.  I happen to know that quite a number of the people caught up in this situation aren't eligible from today's announcement, so hopefully more will follow.

I think it's pre-"sovereign borders" refugees.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #511 on: February 13, 2023, 08:07:41 AM »

Finally, some cause for celebration from the Albanese government: about 20,000 people who have been languishing on temporary protection visas for 10 years, unable to obtain a pathway to citizenship since Kevin Rudd was last PM, have been given the green light to begin applying for permanent residency.  I happen to know that quite a number of the people caught up in this situation aren't eligible from today's announcement, so hopefully more will follow.

I think it's pre-"sovereign borders" refugees.

Yes, those are the people I'm referring to.  They've been living in Australia since 2013 or earlier.  Not all of them have been helped by the announcement today, but it's a good start.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #512 on: February 15, 2023, 08:33:37 AM »

US won't confirm nor deny the presence of nuclear weapons in their bombers settling around the Pacific.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-15/defence-wont-confirm-if-us-bombers-carry-nuclear-weapons/101978596

This will put the sh**ts up the Chinese.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #513 on: February 15, 2023, 09:48:12 AM »

Member for Aston Alan Tudge is set to resign. Unknown what excuse he'll use to deflect from abusing his mistress.

Speculation is already mounting that Josh Frydenberg will take the opportunity to run in the by-election and return to politics.
Aston noticeably went 53-47 Liberal so it will be interesting to see the results of the by-election. ASV, could you see Labor winning Aston?
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #514 on: February 20, 2023, 05:43:30 AM »

The date for the Aston by-election has been set. April Fool's Day. Media is already having fun with it.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #515 on: February 20, 2023, 07:18:00 AM »

Any chance of a flip to the ALP?
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #516 on: February 20, 2023, 08:37:59 AM »

The ALP are of course downplaying their chances. It is very difficult for seats to flip from the opposition to the governing party (the ALP completely failed in Gippsland in 2008, and the Coalition failed to flip a number of marginals seats from 2014-2020) despite some speculation they could do so, so it would be a big achievement if Labor were able to do so this time.

The positives for Labor this time is that they genuinely do seem to be enjoying a big honeymoon period federally (but of course this has happened before and not resulted in flips). The Andrews government appears to have been less popular at the time of the federal election, but had a clear victory at the state election, more time has passed from the lockdowns, and is now enjoying a bit of a honeymoon period itself. Also, my crude estimate of the Senate result for Aston under compulsory preferential voting is 49% Labor, so a couple % better than the House, which suggests the already thin majority is quite soft.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #517 on: February 20, 2023, 05:36:42 PM »

The government has not gained a seat at a federal by-election since 1929, and the government has only gained a seat from the official opposition at a federal by-election once in the history of Australia (Kalgoorlie, 1920), but even the reverse is uncommon: the last time the official opposition gained a seat in a federal by-election was 2001. Something strange about Australia to me is how weakly by-elections tend to be contested in comparison to Britain or Canada; in those countries major parties fail to contest by-elections only under unusual circumstances, but it seems to be far more common in Australia. Witness the case of the WA state constituency of North West Central, where Labor only barely lost and that because of the personal popularity of the National MP, Vince Catania. When he resigned last year, Labor refused to stand a candidate in the by-election. I don't quite understand it.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #518 on: February 27, 2023, 05:43:45 AM »

The ALP are of course downplaying their chances. It is very difficult for seats to flip from the opposition to the governing party (the ALP completely failed in Gippsland in 2008, and the Coalition failed to flip a number of marginals seats from 2014-2020) despite some speculation they could do so, so it would be a big achievement if Labor were able to do so this time.

The positives for Labor this time is that they genuinely do seem to be enjoying a big honeymoon period federally (but of course this has happened before and not resulted in flips). The Andrews government appears to have been less popular at the time of the federal election, but had a clear victory at the state election, more time has passed from the lockdowns, and is now enjoying a bit of a honeymoon period itself. Also, my crude estimate of the Senate result for Aston under compulsory preferential voting is 49% Labor, so a couple % better than the House, which suggests the already thin majority is quite soft.

It makes sense to play things down, considering that a federal government almost never wins contested by-elections in marginal seats, but despite the slightly lowering approval rating for Labor, I think people are happy with what they see so far. Most I suspect are still frightened Morrison will attempt a comeback, or are afraid of Peter Dutton. Andrews' opinion polls may be lowering as well, but he did win the state election pretty comfortably despite one of the biggest media campaigns in recent memory. I will die on the hill that the Australian media has become a campaign vehicle for the Coalition in recent years.

Either way, the Liberals pretty much have to win this one. They've not been performing well in Victoria lately. I suspect they will win, but then again, I also suspect that it will be far too narrow for their liking.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #519 on: March 01, 2023, 07:31:49 PM »

Aston noticeably went 53-47 Liberal so it will be interesting to see the results of the by-election. ASV, could you see Labor winning Aston?

That result was as close as it was because Alan Tudge was widely disliked for his ongoing scandals and moral failure.  It's likely that the Liberal vote in Aston will have a small rebound despite the favorable national and state environment for Labor.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #520 on: March 02, 2023, 02:45:05 AM »

That result was as close as it was because Alan Tudge was widely disliked for his ongoing scandals and moral failure.  It's likely that the Liberal vote in Aston will have a small rebound despite the favorable national and state environment for Labor.

The direct response to the scandal is only part of it. Because of it he was basically barred from the campaign trail, so the Liberal ground effort in Aston was incredibly weak and unenthusiastic. The sizeable Chinese population (14%) drove the swing up further.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #521 on: March 03, 2023, 05:58:57 PM »

The direct response to the scandal is only part of it. Because of it he was basically barred from the campaign trail, so the Liberal ground effort in Aston was incredibly weak and unenthusiastic. The sizeable Chinese population (14%) drove the swing up further.

I still can't work out what was going on in Dutton's head when he thought starting up a sabre-rattling campaign regarding China was a good idea.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #522 on: March 13, 2023, 09:05:44 PM »

Nuclear submarine deal released. $368 Billion over 30 years for 8 subs.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #523 on: March 15, 2023, 08:00:58 AM »

Kidnapped 26 yo in Belmore released. $36,800 in dental work required over 30 years for 8 teeth to be refitted.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #524 on: March 15, 2023, 10:26:19 AM »

Kidnapped 26 yo in Belmore released. $36,800 in dental work required over 30 years for 8 teeth to be refitted.

And we thought our dentists charged the earth.....
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 33  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies