What would it take for Muslims to vote GOP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:39:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What would it take for Muslims to vote GOP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would it take for Muslims to vote GOP?  (Read 1485 times)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2021, 03:12:50 PM »

What kind of trends would be need for this to happen?
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 03:41:43 PM »

Denounce the Trumpists for obvious reasons and denounce the Neocons for other obvious reasons

So basically both current wings of the party need to be quelled

Not gonna happen (IMHO)
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 03:48:51 PM »

Polarize the electorate along whether they believe in the Abrahamic God AND practice an Abrahamic faith. Everyone who isn’t Jewish, Muslim, Baha’i, or a practicing Christian votes D, while the aforementioned groups vote R.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 03:54:47 PM »

Polarize the electorate along whether they believe in the Abrahamic God AND practice an Abrahamic faith. Everyone who isn’t Jewish, Muslim, Baha’i, or a practicing Christian votes D, while the aforementioned groups vote R.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 06:55:25 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2021, 07:00:44 PM by Tartarus Sauce »

This strategy wouldn't work under current metrics because minority Abrahamic faith practitioners would largely view this strategy as one in service of Christian nationalism, which they would peg as a much larger threat to their identity than secularism. This is big reason why the ooky spooky "secular" Democrats already do so well with these groups as is.

And non-orthodox Jews have an extremely tenuous attachment to the "faith" side of their Abrahamic faith at best, so this angle wouldn't work with them even if it was somehow retooled into a more inclusive approach
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 07:17:43 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2021, 08:02:23 PM by The Community of Xi Guay Ong »

This strategy wouldn't work under current metrics because minority Abrahamic faith practitioners would largely view this strategy as one in service of Christian nationalism, which they would peg as a much larger threat to their identity than secularism. This is big reason why the ooky spooky "secular" Democrats already do so well with these groups as is.

And non-orthodox Jews have an extremely tenuous attachment to the "faith" side of their Abrahamic faith at best, so this angle wouldn't work with them even if it was somehow retooled into a more inclusive approach

My response was a tongue-in-cheek way of saying "lol no".

But I do think this could theoretically happen in an electoral democracy that either 1) is majority/plurality Abrahamic but has a large Dharmic or otherwise non-Abrahamic religious population, or 2) [more relevant to the US and other Anglo/Western countries] has stronger polarization along adherence to religion in general than what religion you adhere to.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 02:19:45 PM »

A- Democrats institute beto's tax on religious institutions that don't approve of gay marriage
B- Republicans become more anti interventionist.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 06:06:07 PM »

I may be way off here, but didn't an exit poll in 2000 show bush winning muslims?
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 06:36:49 PM »

I may be way off here, but didn't an exit poll in 2000 show bush winning muslims?

You're right on this one. Wiki says they went something like 80-20 W. No idea what the racial/ethnic breakdown of Muslim Americans was back then, but I imagine it was more tilted towards actual Middle Easterners and ADOS converts- and less towards South Asians and Africans.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2021, 01:51:19 PM »

I came up with this
Democrats- Christian wokism(Rich and religious whites, very religious minorities)
Republicans- Secular anti wokism(less religious Poor and wc whites, less religious minorities)
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2021, 07:42:31 PM »

I came up with this
Democrats- Christian wokism(Rich and religious whites, very religious minorities)
Republicans- Secular anti wokism(less religious Poor and wc whites, less religious minorities)
I can see this becoming the future
Cyrusman
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2021, 08:30:33 PM »

Honestly I’m surprised more don’t

I’m full Persian and all my family members are Muslim and all voted Trump due to hating Iran’s government and anger over Obama giving them all that money in the Iran deal. They liked Trump hard nose approach with Iran and the Republicans economic policies (most are all small business owners)
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2021, 01:31:47 PM »

The real question is, why would anyone vote for the GOP?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2021, 09:20:44 PM »

For 9/11 to no longer be in living memory.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2021, 10:08:20 PM »

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/12/republicans-muslim-vote-george-w-bush-donald-trump/419481/

This article covers the flight of Muslim American voters from the GOP since 2000 well. Muslims aren't a monolith, but to get anywhere with them, I would think that the party would have to marginalize its white identitarian segment (which is growing). Overcoming that, the Republicans' turn toward isolationist rhetoric should be a boost.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2021, 02:32:01 AM »

The GOP would have to allow the PATRIOT Act to expire and allow Gitmo to be closed.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2021, 08:32:56 AM »

Currently, the GOP’s base is comprised mostly of “angry white men” who desire a return to the days where white men had much more rights than just about any other demographic group. The GOP is a perfect fit for these people.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2021, 08:04:33 AM »

Currently, the GOP’s base is comprised mostly of “angry white men” who desire a return to the days where white men had much more rights than just about any other demographic group. The GOP is a perfect fit for these people.

Sorry I meant why would any well balanced person vote for the GOP.  I do understand that they have a solid base of lunatics.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2021, 10:21:57 AM »

I have a feeling as 9/11 fades into the sidelines of American history, More muslims will be open to voting GOP again.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2021, 01:32:12 PM »

It would take an Arab Republican candidate who emphasizes social issues.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2021, 01:26:49 PM »

Honestly I’m surprised more don’t

I’m full Persian and all my family members are Muslim and all voted Trump due to hating Iran’s government and anger over Obama giving them all that money in the Iran deal. They liked Trump hard nose approach with Iran and the Republicans economic policies (most are all small business owners)

Not to put too fine a point on this, but Persians and other Middle Easterners can broadly pass as white in ways that Bangladeshis, Indonesians, and Somalis generally cannot.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/12/republicans-muslim-vote-george-w-bush-donald-trump/419481/

This article covers the flight of Muslim American voters from the GOP since 2000 well. Muslims aren't a monolith, but to get anywhere with them, I would think that the party would have to marginalize its white identitarian segment (which is growing). Overcoming that, the Republicans' turn toward isolationist rhetoric should be a boost.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2021, 01:51:29 PM »

Because their economic policies are better
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies