Joe Kennedy Jr vs Eisenhower 1952
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:56:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Joe Kennedy Jr vs Eisenhower 1952
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Joe Kennedy Jr vs Eisenhower 1952  (Read 840 times)
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2021, 12:20:08 PM »

What does a presidential election between a Joe Jr that survived WWII and Eisenhower look like? The enlisted man vs the general.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 12:53:58 PM »

Eisenhower almost certainly wins in a landslide comparable to RL.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 04:39:18 PM »

Eisenhower, war hero from a commoner background defeats a young person with no experience who was a coward in the same war (the only prestigious mission he did was the last one, so I assume he doesn't do it).
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 10:57:13 PM »

Eisenhower still wins.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 08:51:59 AM »
« Edited: May 24, 2021, 09:05:41 AM by Alben Barkley »

Eisenhower, war hero from a commoner background defeats a young person with no experience who was a coward in the same war (the only prestigious mission he did was the last one, so I assume he doesn't do it).

Um... when exactly did Eisenhower EVER put his life at serious risk? He did not serve on the front (or even overseas at all) in WW1, and was extremely well-protected in WW2. Even compared to other generals like, say, Patton (who also saw extensive combat in previous wars), he never really got his hands dirty at all in that war. His role was very much an administrative role behind the lines. Note I’m not trying to fault Ike for this; he was well-suited for the jobs he was given and performed them admirably. But it’s ludicrous to suggest this West Point graduate top brass was somehow some sort of salt of the earth “war hero” but Kennedy was a “coward” simply because they came from different backgrounds.

After all, Kennedy literally died serving this country, so calling him a “coward” is pretty f—king disgusting. I personally find your words offensive and think you need to either back them up with facts (good luck) or retract them ASAP. And I’m not even a huge fan of the Kennedys. But anyone who puts their life in jeopardy even “only” once in service of this country should NOT be defamed and belittled like this no matter how long it’s been.

God, between this sort of BS and all Trump’s sickening comments about the military, it’s amazing how quickly the GOP seems to have become the party of anti-patriots who spit on our servicemen and women, even the war heroes, for political reasons.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 08:32:33 PM »

Um... when exactly did Eisenhower EVER put his life at serious risk? He did not serve on the front (or even overseas at all) in WW1, and was extremely well-protected in WW2. Even compared to other generals like, say, Patton (who also saw extensive combat in previous wars), he never really got his hands dirty at all in that war. His role was very much an administrative role behind the lines. Note I’m not trying to fault Ike for this; he was well-suited for the jobs he was given and performed them admirably. But it’s ludicrous to suggest this West Point graduate top brass was somehow some sort of salt of the earth “war hero” but Kennedy was a “coward” simply because they came from different backgrounds.

After all, Kennedy literally died serving this country, so calling him a “coward” is pretty f—king disgusting. I personally find your words offensive and think you need to either back them up with facts (good luck) or retract them ASAP. And I’m not even a huge fan of the Kennedys. But anyone who puts their life in jeopardy even “only” once in service of this country should NOT be defamed and belittled like this no matter how long it’s been.

God, between this sort of BS and all Trump’s sickening comments about the military, it’s amazing how quickly the GOP seems to have become the party of anti-patriots who spit on our servicemen and women, even the war heroes, for political reasons.

I will retract the statement about Kennedy's war record (certainly the coward part) upon further research. A 'war hero' is public persona- anyone who says Eisenhower didn't benefit from it is deluding themselves. I will not retract anything about his personal character, which judging from his letters (thx Library of Congress), he was a lot like his father.

Kennedy's only EXEMPLARY mission (not heroic mission, but one where he knew that he had an extremely high chance of dying) was the one where he died OTL. All people who serve our country are heroes, but this is about the fact that without this mission or his name, he has nothing to distinguish himself from the MILLIONS of Americans who fought well and honorably in the war (who he could have potentially faced in an election to a state or federal position). JFK had a heroic record and moments, and he still almost lost against a weak candidate. It's also hard to run on a war record regardless of how good (even like JFK's) against DWIGHT F'ING EISENHOWER.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 09:28:00 AM »

I freely assume Joe Kennedy was elected to the senate at some time, perhaps 1946?

✓ General Dwight D. Eisenhower (R-PA)/Senator Richard Nixon (R-CA): 366 EVs.; 52.8%
Senator Joe Kennedy (D-MA)/Senator Estes Kefauver (D-TN): 165 EVs.; 45.7%
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 02:14:43 AM »

Senator Joe Kennedy (D-MA) / Senator John Sparkman (D-AL)
Fmr. General Dwight Eisenhower (R-NY) / Senator Richard Nixon (R-CA) ✓

His heart would presumably be in it more than Stevenson, and that would show electorally, but Eisenhower wins big for all the same reasons he did IOTL. This makes 1960 interesting: I think Johnson runs a serious campaign and wins.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies