Can you be anti-BLM without being anti-black?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:30:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Can you be anti-BLM without being anti-black?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: .
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 80

Author Topic: Can you be anti-BLM without being anti-black?  (Read 1442 times)
wimp
themiddleman
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 28, 2021, 02:17:01 PM »

see thread.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 02:44:20 PM »

Yes.
Terlylane
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 05:11:32 PM »

Yes. BLM is a garbage organization which doesn’t care about black lives.

And for all those who say “that’s only the organization not the movement as a whole”, the movement started from the organization. They are one in the same. If you want a racial justice and anti police brutality decentralized rallying cry, find another slogan.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 07:38:11 PM »

I don’t see how tbh, the ten point program they have is very lukewarm and are the simplest of reforms for preserving black lives.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 07:39:07 PM »

Yes
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 04:42:47 PM »

No.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 05:50:09 PM »

Obviously. Being against all the property destruction and violence caused by the BLM movement is not anti-black.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2021, 08:09:23 PM »

I don’t see how tbh, the ten point program they have is very lukewarm and are the simplest of reforms for preserving black lives.

This was surprisingly hard to find. It's been taken off of their website and all of my top search results are about a fake BLM manifesto spread by trolls that was just copied out of old Italian fascist propaganda. These appear to be the real points:

1. Ending "broken windows" policing, which aggressively polices minor crimes in an attempt to stop larger ones
   2. Using community oversight for misconduct rather than having police decide what consequences officers face
   3. Making standards for reporting police use of deadly force
   4. Independently investigating and prosecuting police misconduct
   5. Having the racial makeup of police departments reflect the communities they serve
   6. Requiring officers to wear body cameras
   7. Providing more training for police officers
   8. Ending for-profit policing practices
   9. Ending the police use of military equipment
   10. Implementing police union contracts that hold officers accountable for misconduct

If we ignore the most ambiguous items, points #1 and #2 are the most contentious here.

The experience of cities that have reduced policing around property crimes most dramatically shows that there is a point at which ignoring minor crimes creates quality of life problems, drives people and businesses away from cities, and increases the risk of more serious crimes. There's a balance to be struck on this.

I honestly can't tell you how "broken windows policing" was implemented in practice (this appears to me a knowledge gap I should work to redress), but by my memory, the document from which BWP was theoretically drawn discussed the variety of informal actions a neighborhood police officer undertook to maintain order and cleanliness on his little piece of earth--shooing away troublemakers, herding the local kids away from trouble, etc. This, of course, is hard to legislate as a philosophy.

And, if we are being serious, how many people want to live in an area where petty property and disorder crimes go unpunished and undeterred? There's a strain of policing philosophy that contends that these incidents, rather than what we usually consider "major crimes" do more to shape a resident's impression of an area, and undermine social capital and public confidence.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 02:57:08 PM »

This was surprisingly hard to find. It's been taken off of their website and all of my top search results are about a fake BLM manifesto spread by trolls that was just copied out of old Italian fascist propaganda. These appear to be the real points:

1. Ending "broken windows" policing, which aggressively polices minor crimes in an attempt to stop larger ones
   2. Using community oversight for misconduct rather than having police decide what consequences officers face
   3. Making standards for reporting police use of deadly force
   4. Independently investigating and prosecuting police misconduct
   5. Having the racial makeup of police departments reflect the communities they serve
   6. Requiring officers to wear body cameras
   7. Providing more training for police officers
   8. Ending for-profit policing practices
   9. Ending the police use of military equipment
   10. Implementing police union contracts that hold officers accountable for misconduct

If we ignore the most ambiguous items, points #1 and #2 are the most contentious here.

The experience of cities that have reduced policing around property crimes most dramatically shows that there is a point at which ignoring minor crimes creates quality of life problems, drives people and businesses away from cities, and increases the risk of more serious crimes. There's a balance to be struck on this.

I honestly can't tell you how "broken windows policing" was implemented in practice (this appears to me a knowledge gap I should work to redress), but by my memory, the document from which BWP was theoretically drawn discussed the variety of informal actions a neighborhood police officer undertook to maintain order and cleanliness on his little piece of earth--shooing away troublemakers, herding the local kids away from trouble, etc. This, of course, is hard to legislate as a philosophy.

And, if we are being serious, how many people want to live in an area where petty property and disorder crimes go unpunished and undeterred? There's a strain of policing philosophy that contends that these incidents, rather than what we usually consider "major crimes" do more to shape a resident's impression of an area, and undermine social capital and public confidence.

This is from Kelling, a co-author of the original article:
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/08/broken-windows-theory-poor-policing-ferguson-kelling-121268/
Why then has broken windows policing re-emerged as the target not only of academics but activists during the second decade of the 21st century? In part, police themselves have not always applied a broken-windows approach in a manner in which it is most effective as a crime prevention and control technique, while compatible with and responsive to community goals and desires. Both are crucial to good broken-windows policing—which by its nature depends upon the exercise of seasoned discretion and wise judgment by trained police officers familiar with and sensitive to the local community. At the same time, many critics of order maintenance by police fail to understand either the fundamental theory behind its use, or actual positive outcomes that have been documented in its application in numerous cities across the country—outcomes that make it a police tactic worth pursuing.
Terlylane
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2021, 05:39:55 PM »

Rosethecommie
Rookie
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2021, 09:01:56 PM »

No, why wouldn’t you support an organization literally based around protecting black lives? How is that not inherently anti-black?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2021, 02:28:30 PM »

Yes. Next question.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2021, 11:29:49 AM »

No, why wouldn’t you support an organization literally based around protecting black lives? How is that not inherently anti-black?
so being against an organization that was based around protecting white lives would make someone anti-white?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2021, 11:58:53 AM »

Without even going into the riots of last year, you can oppose their ideological demands clearly as they're pretty radical, while still being appalled by killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, etc. When I saw polls that showed 55-60% of Americans supporting BLM, I knew most Americans were associating BLM with protests against police injustice rather than their actual platform.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2021, 05:20:17 PM »

Depends on what you characterize as "anti-BLM." If being BLM requires you to support defunding or abolishing the police, then the answer to your question is definitely yes. I'm certainly not 'anti-black,' but I don't think the solution is setting fire to buildings/vandalizing/looting/defunding or abolishing the police. The police can be reformed; defunding it won't reduce racism but will increase the number of criminals on the streets; and I'm appalled that elected representatives like Rashida Tlaib think that abolishing the police is a good idea because it's inherently racist (her solution is ending the police, which will lead to more murder, crime, theft, etc.). If BLM simply means you support police reform and oppose police using overly aggressive tactics like knee-on-neck, then the answer is no; there's no reason at all for the police to do so except in very few circumstances (and George Floyd definitely wasn't one of them).
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2021, 09:22:30 PM »

No. It's not an organization, it's a sentiment.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2021, 09:58:48 PM »

Simple - you can believe that various bad actors associated with BLM chapters or whatever have failed to live up to their ideals and tarnished the reputation of “BLM.”
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2021, 04:57:52 PM »

In theory, yes, but people who oppose the basic ideas of BLM rather than its rhetoric, are anti-black.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2021, 05:21:07 PM »

Yes, BLM described themselves as a Marxist organization. Opposing marxism has nothing to do with being anti-black
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2021, 08:46:02 PM »

Rather than making more Americans pro-BLM, this kind of attitude will actually make more people comfortable with being anti-Black.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2021, 08:51:42 PM »

Yes, if you’re talking about BLM the grassroots organization as opposed to BLM the motto/sentiment.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies