This Wretched Hive Of Scum And Villainy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:38:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This Wretched Hive Of Scum And Villainy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 50
Poll
Question: Name?
The Chronicles of Tory Scum

This Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy

This Once Dignified Party of Ours

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: This Wretched Hive Of Scum And Villainy  (Read 52123 times)
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2021, 10:17:08 AM »

I dunno what poll is being referred to above, but the two out yesterday had the Tory lead dropping.

Looking into it a bit more it seems it is an NCP poll (lol) that is being compared to another of their polls from over a month ago.  So yeah not really a story but the Telegraph gonna Torygraph.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2021, 08:03:08 AM »

So wretched hive of scum and villainy it is, then Smiley
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2021, 08:14:40 AM »

The poll got the same number of votes (37) as the UK General Discussion. I locked it yesterday around 9 a.m.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2021, 08:43:19 AM »

Ironic that my suggestion was screwed by FPTP. Wink

I'm glad it won though - it's clearly a better name.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2021, 02:31:04 AM »

Ironic that my suggestion was screwed by FPTP. Wink

I'm glad it won though - it's clearly a better name.

Not as good as your new username though. Smiley

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2021, 05:17:40 AM »

Cheap at half the price Smiley
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2021, 06:07:47 AM »

"This Wretched Hive Of Scum And Villainy" is somehow the most ornate and poetic thread title I have ever seen on this forum despite being a vicious insult. Very Tory indeed!
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2021, 09:21:58 AM »

Reshuffle rumours are hotting up.  Of course for now it's all just rumouring but it's interesting none the less.

Jenrick and Shapps are rumoured to be sacked but I reckon they stay on at least long enough to see through their projects (planning reform and GBR respectively).  Patel may or may not be demoted but that would be very risky for the PM.  Johnson (and Carrie) apparently want Javid to return, possibly in the Education brief.

Most people assume Williamson will be sacked (or at least demoted) but now some believe that as a result of being Chief Whip and Johnson's leadership campaign manager he may know where too many bodies are buried.  I say so what - it would be nice to see the PM show the right sort of balls for once.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2021, 09:39:34 AM »

Yes, I’d be happy to see Gavin Williamson gone.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2021, 09:59:52 AM »

I suppose that Cummings’ attacks on Hancock have actually saved his position in the Cabinet, at least for now.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2021, 01:39:49 PM »

Reshuffle rumours are hotting up.  Of course for now it's all just rumouring but it's interesting none the less.

Jenrick and Shapps are rumoured to be sacked but I reckon they stay on at least long enough to see through their projects (planning reform and GBR respectively).  Patel may or may not be demoted but that would be very risky for the PM.  Johnson (and Carrie) apparently want Javid to return, possibly in the Education brief.

Most people assume Williamson will be sacked (or at least demoted) but now some believe that as a result of being Chief Whip and Johnson's leadership campaign manager he may know where too many bodies are buried.  I say so what - it would be nice to see the PM show the right sort of balls for once.

Interesting- reshuffles always have much bigger shuffles briefed before & often end up being low-key. I believe we were promised one last year that ended up being 2-3 juniors getting promoted. But it does seem the right time for a reshuffe- especially when this cabinet was born out of the dynamics of 2019. (Shapps & Williamson were both given jobs for delivering Boris the MPs he needed to win the first round)

Williamson is extremely overrated politically; he was a failure at Defence and an even bigger failure at Education- he offered to resign last summer over the exams fiasco & frankly should have been sacked. He's become one of those Westminster politicians who lots of people claim is very powerful/dangerous but he's got very strong Charles Clarke vibes (aka will sit on the backbenches plotting & will then quit Parliament with a poor record)

It's concerning (if I were tory MP) to see that they want to put Badenoch as education Sec to carry on the 'war on woke'- Williamson has tried this & has failed because the biggest concern for parents will be the huge funding shortfall in schools, the hours of missed learning etc etc.

It needs to be someone who can at least remain relatively competent on all this & play a defensive role in what is often a hard brief- Javid would not be an awful choice compared to the others.

Shapps has been a pretty effective SOS considering the sh**t sandwich he's had- Jenrick is unlikely to be moved because MHCLG is going to be an extremely political department over the next year (Planning reform... but also the Towns Fund, the continued assault on local government etc) and it needs someone like him.

Would be surprised if Patel gets moved; I expect she would go to the backbenches rather than accepting party chair or some useless job. There is a credible gaps among the grassroots by those who think that the party still isn't right wing enough on immigration.

I might be wrong but I also don't think anybody has accepted demotion from a great office of state in a while? (except for Hague's last hurrah as Leader of the House)
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2021, 02:05:26 PM »

Reshuffle rumours are hotting up.  Of course for now it's all just rumouring but it's interesting none the less.

Jenrick and Shapps are rumoured to be sacked but I reckon they stay on at least long enough to see through their projects (planning reform and GBR respectively).  Patel may or may not be demoted but that would be very risky for the PM.  Johnson (and Carrie) apparently want Javid to return, possibly in the Education brief.

Most people assume Williamson will be sacked (or at least demoted) but now some believe that as a result of being Chief Whip and Johnson's leadership campaign manager he may know where too many bodies are buried.  I say so what - it would be nice to see the PM show the right sort of balls for once.

I might be wrong but I also don't think anybody has accepted demotion from a great office of state in a while? (except for Hague's last hurrah as Leader of the House)

Well you know who did  Wink

Jack Straw, if you don’t count Justice/Lord Chancellor.

Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2021, 03:55:11 PM »

Yes like all "big reshuffle" rumours it will likely be a damp squip rather than Night of the Long Knives.

I think the biggest changes we can hope for would be Gove moving to Health and Javid to Education.  Hancock potentially back to Communities although I doubt he would accept a demotion to such a poisoned chalice.  I'm certain if he were removed from Health he wouldn't be dropped from rhe cabinet completely.  If Jenrick is sacked (I doubt it) then potentially Luke Hall might replace him.

Sacking Patel would be dangerous for Boris because she would quickly become the leader of the rightwing backbenchers opposed to the PM.  Boris definitely can't afford that with his support on his right flank rather weak already.

Other longshots for elevation are Penny Mordaunt (please no) and Jeremy Hunt.  Hunt clearly enjoys his current committee rolw though.

As for party chair, Milling is poisonous amongst the base but she will probably stay on because "muh Hartlepool".
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2021, 05:28:54 AM »

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/riseoftheredtories

A fascinating article from back in 2009. It seems Boris has taken on the mantle of this ideal more than Cameron. (Though, of course, I am not sanguine about his ability to implement it.)
In fact, the last thing David Cameron was is a Red Tory. "Radical social change" is about the least conservative thing I can think of.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2021, 04:51:38 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2021, 08:16:14 AM by Geoffrey Howe »

The anger in the Torygraph continues:

Rishi Sunak must confiscate government's credit card, say Tory voters

Some interesting figures in there:

In your view, is the government doing enough to reduce levels of spending?
    34% No / 31% Yes
When trying to balance its finances, should the government rely on tax increases or spending cuts?
    Maintain tax rates 43% / Raise taxes 34% / Lower taxes 17%
Among those aware of the government's planning reforms, are you supportive?
    Supportive 34% / Oppose 19%
Is HS2 a bad investment / should it be scrapped?
    58% / 51%
Is the government doing enough to resist "cancel culture"?
     Not enough 74% / Enough 18%
Should the government ease travel restrictions?
     Yes 42% / No 39%
Should the Government ease restrictions for businesses?
      Yes 57% / No 17%

65% approve of the approach to COVID, 61% to the NHS; but this drops to 48% on crime and policing. It seems people are agitated by this.

Boris Johnson approval / disapproval:
      Approve 65% / Disapprove 17%
Rishi Sunak approval / disapproval:
      Approve 73% / Disapprove 8%

So the Chancellor is more popular than the PM amongst Tory voters.

For those who will scoff that Tories want to be like Herbert Hoover and balance the budget in one year, it's pretty clear, despite the headline, that there isn't overwhelming support for spending cuts. In my experience, many Tory voters (particularly wealthy ones) aren't so concerned about the size of the deficit or marginal increases in their tax rate; they are more concerned about (what they perceive as) runaway wasteful spending & a bloated and inefficient public sector. The feeling is that Boris is letting this happen, and announcing spending projects willy-nilly rather than being fiscally disciplined (which does not mean balancing the budget during a pandemic).

Heartening is that we don't take a GOP approach to tax cuts - over a third think we should raise taxes in order to counterbalance spending. Personally, I would be happy to see raises in capital gains tax. It was, after all, one Margaret Thatcher who raised the top rate of CGT to 40%, in line with income tax. The triple lock seems like madness too.

On 7 July there will be an election for Chairman of the backbench 1922 Committee. (Ministers and whips cannot vote.) It's between incumbent Graham Brady, who has been critical of the government over lockdown and should get the support of the rebellious right; and Heather Wheeler, a fairly loyal MP who should get the support of the more pro-lockdown types. So this should be a good test of feeling on the backbenches. The complication is that 107 of our MPs were elected in 2019 and have spent hardly any time in the House. They are apparently being courted by Wheeler. Brady is still the favourite.
I don't much like the modern right of the party, but I'm with Brady here out of frustration with the government.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2021, 08:51:34 AM »

The triple lock seems like madness too

Given their current voting coalition, it would be a "brave" Tory who took the axe to that one.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2021, 04:55:41 AM »

So was Javid drafted in in a "keep your enemies closer" logic and does that put him back in contention for eventual succession?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2021, 10:53:19 AM »

He certainly had his fans before his (it now appears, temporary) political eclipse a few years ago. Tbh I can't really get past the Ayn Rand fandom, but its not terribly likely I'm his target audience Wink
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2021, 10:55:19 AM »

Health is a poisoned chalice for Javid. Opening up will be the easy bit.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2021, 11:18:25 AM »

The NHS even 'post-pandemic' (if such a term is meaningful) will need to be resilient. I don't know how he will deal with the backlog, and I mean that both literally and figuratively.

Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2021, 05:25:41 AM »

I've heard rumours of a lot of Tory grassroot anger about the relatively strict lockdown restrictions, are these real and if so what possible effects might that have ?
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2021, 04:49:12 PM »

Graham Brady re-elected as chair of 1922 Committee defeating a Johnsonite attempt to bring the '22 to heel.  I see this as a good thing for the Tory Right, the wider party and the country at large.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2021, 05:13:24 PM »

I do actually agree with the whips/no.10 view that it’s bad for the Chairman to use the job as an audition for a cabinet position… and then to proceed to sulk for the next 18 months.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2021, 06:55:43 AM »

I missed it at the time so slightly old, but Graham Brady has been re-elected as Chairman of the 1922 Committee. Numbers have not been released, but apparently it was close; Boris and his allies seem very annoyed at Brady’s victory. PMs have always had slightly fraught relationships with backbenchers, but Boris’ contempt for Parliament and his own MPs - and how open he is about it - is more novel in this party I think. He is bringing it too close for my liking to a cult, and only wants to listen to people he likes or will tell him what he likes. This was the undoing of Mrs Thatcher. He should proceed cautiously.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2021, 07:23:29 AM »

Johnson will just sack it all off if it becomes too difficult, though.

He's not like Thatcher in that respect at least.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 50  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies