This Once Great Movement Of Ours
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:42:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This Once Great Movement Of Ours
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 148 149 150 [151]
Author Topic: This Once Great Movement Of Ours  (Read 151680 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3750 on: April 12, 2024, 07:34:49 AM »

Of course, the rumours about Brown were of a rather different nature - and provided the excuse for that fearless seeker after truth P D Staines to indulge in some exceptionally unpleasant homophobia.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3751 on: April 12, 2024, 01:50:22 PM »

Bambos Charalambous has regained the whip.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #3752 on: April 12, 2024, 01:59:46 PM »

By my count, that brings Labour up to 201 - one short of their 2019 intake. Kinda wild, given all their by-election success in the past three years. Reminds you how much misbehaviour has been uncovered within the PLP in that time.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #3753 on: April 12, 2024, 02:05:48 PM »

Of course, the rumours about Brown were of a rather different nature - and provided the excuse for that fearless seeker after truth P D Staines to indulge in some exceptionally unpleasant homophobia.

It was seemingly a talking point on his 1996 appearance on Desert Island Discs:

Ms Lawley still refuses to drop the subject, persisting: "Do you understand people's curiosity? It is something that middle-aged men and women have to put up with. People want to know whether you're gay or whether there's some flaw in your personality that you haven't made a relationship . . ."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/gordon-explains-why-there-s-no-mrs-brown-1339997.html
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3754 on: April 13, 2024, 06:35:24 AM »

By my count, that brings Labour up to 201 - one short of their 2019 intake. Kinda wild, given all their by-election success in the past three years. Reminds you how much misbehaviour has been uncovered within the PLP in that time.

Which means a win in Blackpool South brings them level (assuming no other changes)
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #3755 on: April 21, 2024, 06:29:13 PM »

If Keir festooned himself in the St George’s Cross some Telegraph columnist would probably accuse him of revealing a secret agenda to break up the union, at least I wouldn’t put it past them.

As it turns out, he will be the Telegraph columnist.

These days, the St George’s Cross certainly has more far-right connotations than the Union Jack (although this was not always the case; in the 80s, as well as its use by the National Front, hooligans would always fly the latter at England games). It’s really not a mystery why Labour isn’t using it; it also seems relevant here that ethnic minorities in England, for fairly obvious reasons, are likelier to identify as British rather than English.

How's it going?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3756 on: April 22, 2024, 04:48:09 AM »

Didn't mandelson spread that rumour back in the day?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3757 on: April 22, 2024, 04:57:37 AM »

Did he?

Of course Mandy has had quite a lot of homophobic innuendo from certain quarters as well.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3758 on: April 22, 2024, 06:05:57 AM »

Did he?

Of course Mandy has had quite a lot of homophobic innuendo from certain quarters as well.

Lord Levy, a Labour peer who served as the party’s chief fundraiser under Mr Blair, previously referenced the row in his own book, A Question of Honour.

Of an attempt to mend the relationship between Mr Brown and close Blair ally Peter Mandelson, he wrote: “Gordon was friendly, at least until I explained my mission.

“‘Make up with Peter?’ he hissed in an angry whisper. Then, his voice gradually rising first to dispatch-box volume and then to a near-shout, he exclaimed: ‘Peter? He’s been going around telling everyone that I’m gay! And I am NOT GAY!’

“Dozens of MPs looked around in astonishment, no doubt assuming that I had just tried – and thankfully failed – to proposition the chancellor of the exchequer!”
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #3759 on: April 22, 2024, 07:56:23 AM »

For those interested, David Lammy has just dropped an essay on the next Labour government’s foreign policy, progressive clichéism.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/united-kingdom/case-progressive-realism-david-lammy?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3760 on: April 23, 2024, 06:31:21 AM »

Par for the course, then.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3761 on: April 23, 2024, 02:27:41 PM »

Reports David Marquand has passed.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3762 on: April 23, 2024, 02:50:22 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2024, 02:56:01 PM by Filuwaúrdjan »

Reports David Marquand has passed.

Six months or so short of ninety. An interesting figure for all his faults and actually because of a few of them: he was a very open-minded man, and that comes with disadvantages as well as advantages, especially if one wishes to be a politician! Perhaps his biggest legacy will be writing his biography of MacDonald: it isn't an especially brilliant book, but the mere act of writing and having it published at all...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3763 on: April 24, 2024, 06:46:55 AM »

Many deaths it appears. Frank Field (latterly Baron Field of Birkenhead) has died. Member of Parliament for Birkenhead 1979-2019 (resigned the Labour whip in 2019 and stood as an Independent in 2019) and a crossbench peer from 2020 until his death. Previously the Director of the Child Poverty Action Group (1969-79). He was an independent-minded man (with often rather idiosyncratic views) who famously struggled in his one experience as a minister, but he was an effective campaigning backbencher both in opposition and in government: it is probably fair to say that he never really adjusted his method of doing politics from his time at the CPAG. He might well have been a useful member of the Lords (oddballs often are) but never had the chance to show it as a previously diagnosed cancer became terminal not long after he joined it and he swiftly became too ill to contribute. He was eighty one.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3764 on: April 24, 2024, 08:31:36 AM »
« Edited: April 24, 2024, 08:55:37 AM by CumbrianLefty »

An interesting guy, even if he became somewhat annoying and just a bit crankish in his later years as an MP. Was also one of Labour's youngest candidates at the 1966 GE (South Bucks)

His battles with a local party that was at least Militant influenced became a cause celebre for some in the 1980s, though things became calmer once he saw off a final deselection attempt in 1991.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #3765 on: April 25, 2024, 06:30:49 AM »

I bizarrely had an email chat with him a few years back. He had no idea I was a Tory but probably wouldn't have cared.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3766 on: April 25, 2024, 08:10:25 AM »

An interesting guy, even if he became somewhat annoying and just a bit crankish in his later years as an MP. Was also one of Labour's youngest candidates at the 1966 GE (South Bucks)

He must have been one of the youngest councillors in the country in 1964.

His battles with a local party that was at least Militant influenced became a cause celebre for some in the 1980s, though things became calmer once he saw off a final deselection attempt in 1991.

The circumstances of his selection were interesting and it's a little frustrating that it's hard to find detailed accounts anywhere. I have a distant memory of reading that he'd had a phone call out of the blue telling him that the seat was worth going for (and an even fuzzier recollection that this was near some sort of deadline?) though I can't recall who from - was it CPAG people in Merseyside who spotted an opportunity? Anyway, Dell's supporters in the CLP were clearly very keen to have another intellectual as their MP and that was that.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3767 on: April 25, 2024, 08:22:52 AM »
« Edited: April 25, 2024, 08:27:21 AM by CumbrianLefty »

As noted by me elsewhere, his (otherwise fairly comprehensive) Wikipedia entry doesn't mention the internal goings on in the 1980s that almost resulted in his deselection at all.

A major, and frankly pretty incomprehensible, omission.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3768 on: April 25, 2024, 08:33:56 AM »

As noted by me elsewhere, his (otherwise fairly comprehensive) Wikipedia entry doesn't mention the internal goings on in the 1980s that almost resulted in his deselection at all.

A major, and frankly pretty incomprehensible, omission.

Yes, it's frustrating (and, again, his obituaries are surprisingly light on all of this) especially as it clearly mattered a lot to him. His recently published memoirs - which are really loose discursive essays on particular themes: not a surprise as he won't have been well enough to do much more - show that clearly enough.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3769 on: April 26, 2024, 08:17:37 AM »
« Edited: April 26, 2024, 08:23:15 AM by CumbrianLefty »

Reported that Kate Osamor may soon be getting the whip back in parliament.

If the Blackpool South contest next week goes as most expect it to, that means that Labour might yet end this parliament with more MPs than it started with. That didn't seem likely for a while.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #3770 on: April 26, 2024, 11:14:41 AM »

Credit where credit is due, I’d like to see more of this from Sir Keir and less consternation that anyone in an ostensibly left-wing party might have a problem with nationalism:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/apr/24/labour-promises-rail-nationalisation-within-five-years-of-coming-to-power
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #3771 on: April 26, 2024, 12:48:09 PM »

Reported that Kate Osamor may soon be getting the whip back in parliament.
I genuinely can’t see why the leadership would do this? Left winger, dodgy comments on Israel, and among other things threatened violence against someone who asked why she lied about not knowing about her son’s drug dealing crimes.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3772 on: April 27, 2024, 04:52:49 AM »

I expect that any return would require her to show a certain degree of contrition over previous I/P comments, in the same sort of way that Andy McDonald did.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 148 149 150 [151]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies