Jeopardy contestants launch witch hunt against champion for "white supremacist hand gesture"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:09:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Jeopardy contestants launch witch hunt against champion for "white supremacist hand gesture"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jeopardy contestants launch witch hunt against champion for "white supremacist hand gesture"  (Read 920 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2021, 05:01:33 PM »
« edited: May 17, 2021, 05:19:47 PM by emotional hardcore »

Even though: 1-the gesture isn't anything like an actual white supremacist one, 2-his explanation for it is perfectly plausible and 3-even the ADL investigated and said there was no issue here:

I blame Trump for making everyone on edge and ready to pounce on the most trivial stuff like this.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 05:09:40 PM »

It was just the number 3. Case closed. All the Jeopardy contestants joining in on the witchhunt should be ashamed of themselves.

What was weird is all the people insisting that no one ever makes 3 like that, using the pinky instead of the index finger, but I usually do, since I have to hold down the pinky with the thumb, but making 3 like that requires much less effort since the index finger can stay down on it's own. Like people just assumed that their own gesture for 3 is the same way everyone does it...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 05:14:44 PM »

It was just the number 3. Case closed. All the Jeopardy contestants joining in on the witchhunt should be ashamed of themselves.

What was weird is all the people insisting that no one ever makes 3 like that, using the pinky instead of the index finger, but I usually do, since I have to hold down the pinky with the thumb, but making 3 like that requires much less effort since the index finger can stay down on it's own. Like people just assumed that their own gesture for 3 is the same way everyone does it...
Yeah if you look at the replies there's still people pushing this and trying to justify it with that claim despite tons of pics of people putting three fingers up like that in response, and they remain in denial despite all the debunkings. I wonder if these clowns realize this denial of reality is the same sort of sh!t Trump supporters or anti-vaxxers engage in.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 05:18:09 PM »

Yeah if you look at the replies there's still people pushing this and trying to justify it with that claim despite tons of pics of people putting three fingers up like that in response, and they remain in denial despite all the debunkings. I wonder if these clowns realize this denial of reality is the same sort of sh!t Trump supporters or anti-vaxxers engage in.

They don't call it BlueAnon for nothing.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 05:22:55 PM »

Actually this is easily the most apt comparison:

QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 08:50:16 PM »

Let me guess, that dude Arthur Chu was in on this.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 09:21:16 PM »

It’s mind boggling how so many people including the ADL themselves fell for a 4chan hoax Squinting
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 10:28:35 PM »

This is kind of reminiscent of when Anonymous claimed they had hacked files that contained proof that four sitting Senators including ones from both parties were members of the KKK. There was a massive freakout in some liberal circles and people demanding the names be revealed and that those Senators must resign immediately or be expelled...and then some people pointed out if a bunch of 4chan posters who had lied in the past about sh!t they had done were exactly a credible source, and of course the implausibility of someone maintaining covert KKK membership while also serving as a US Senator and not having it come up in any election campaigns, etc. only to be ignored by the believers. And after the names of these supposed four Senators failed to materialize some of those people still hammered on it and demanded there be other investigations to find out who they were until everyone just forgot about the whole thing.
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 11:24:06 PM »

This is kind of reminiscent of when Anonymous claimed they had hacked files that contained proof that four sitting Senators including ones from both parties were members of the KKK. There was a massive freakout in some liberal circles and people demanding the names be revealed and that those Senators must resign immediately or be expelled...and then some people pointed out if a bunch of 4chan posters who had lied in the past about sh!t they had done were exactly a credible source, and of course the implausibility of someone maintaining covert KKK membership while also serving as a US Senator and not having it come up in any election campaigns, etc. only to be ignored by the believers. And after the names of these supposed four Senators failed to materialize some of those people still hammered on it and demanded there be other investigations to find out who they were until everyone just forgot about the whole thing.
Cringe
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 02:30:45 PM »

This is so dumb for two reasons-

1. He's not even doing the "OK" sign. No one does it against his chest and the fingers were off to the side, not straight up.

2. Even if he was doing the OK sign, 99% of people in real life have no idea that a few trolls on 4Chan decided to tell people it was a "hate sign" to troll.

You can't tell me the left's concern over racism doesn't constitute a "moral panic" at this point. This is like the Satanic Panic with parents flipping out over anything that even remotely resembled obscure Satanic imagery.

You also have to roll your eyes at the "gaslighting" references. Punching your wife in the face and then telling her you didn't do it the next morning is gaslighting. Disagreeing with you on a subjective matter of interpretation is not. And just to troll a little bit, I thought objectivity was a white male construct and didn't really exist? If there's no objective world then you can't actually gaslight anyone, can you?

Really stunned the NYT would actually run this, especially the stuff pointing out that the left has their own problem with tribalism and misinformation. Although given the predictable Twitter tantrums in response I wouldn't expect too much like it in the future given that their main goal now is to kiss their leftists subscriber bases ass and tell them whatever they want to hear instead of being an actual newspaper.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 02:37:19 PM »

There is no such thing as BlueAnon. Why don't you just fabricate a story about how left-wingers attacked the Capitol in 2017 to install Clinton as President while you're at it?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 03:25:30 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2021, 03:31:00 PM by Roll Roons »

There is no such thing as BlueAnon. Why don't you just fabricate a story about how left-wingers attacked the Capitol in 2017 to install Clinton as President while you're at it?

I think I've made it very clear that I'm not a Trump supporter in the slightest. And it may not be as visible or pervasive as it is among the extreme right, but liberals aren't immune to conspiratorial thinking. There's this, the loons who want to continue masking after they're fully vaccinated, or the idiots on Twitter who think Matt Gaetz is only in Congress because of gerrymandering.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2021, 03:35:16 PM »

I think I've made it very clear that I'm not a Trump supporter in the slightest. And it may not be as visible or pervasive as it is among the extreme right, but liberals aren't immune to conspiratorial thinking. There's this, the loons who want to continue masking after they're fully vaccinated, or the idiots on Twitter who think Matt Gaetz is only in Congress because of gerrymandering.

I think those last two items are more a case of people being poorly-informed, rather than anything genuinely conspirational.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2021, 03:56:45 PM »

I know maybe half a dozen signatories of this letter, although none of them particularly well. I also know a number of people who didn't sign this letter, in some cases to my surprise.

My opinion of the "Jeopardy community", which one gains entry to by having won on Jeopardy, is not high at all. Demographically these are exactly the sort of people whom one would expect to be wokescolds, and they have additional reinforcement from the self-confidence they've gained by having won on Jeopardy.

If I were to venture an explanation, I would say that these are people who are anxious about their whiteness, and the only way to alleviate that anxiety is through "anti-racist" action. The point here is not actually to alleviate any social ill; the action is the end in itself. That's why the ADL is the villain to these people; in denying that their action is anti-racist, they are denying these Jeopardy contestants the right to self-actualization.

I learned of this petition at the time it was happening; it was ludicrous even at the time, since anyone could see (and plenty of people had seen) that the contestant in question was counting off his victories on his fingers in previous episodes. These people knew this full well when they chose to sign their names. I feel bad for the man in question that he's had to be subjected to this, but on the other hand this means that he's not part of the Jeopardy community, which is a net positive on the whole. I am surprised this story would make national media, but I guess it really does have everything.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2021, 05:02:03 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2021, 05:13:27 PM by GP270watch »

The red MAGA tie doesn't help his case...

But really who cares. We had an actual white supremacist in Chief with Trump cemented by an admin staffed with people like Stephen Miller and Sebastian Gorka.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2021, 05:34:00 PM »

Dude, it's a color. Nobody's allowed to wear red ever again?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2021, 05:37:04 PM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2021, 05:49:25 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think GP270watch meant to say "red MAGA hat," which the article mentioned Kelly wearing.

In any event, the contestants who put this letter of theirs out are insane, not least because of their thoughts on the ADL.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2021, 05:54:22 PM »

I know maybe half a dozen signatories of this letter, although none of them particularly well. I also know a number of people who didn't sign this letter, in some cases to my surprise.

My opinion of the "Jeopardy community", which one gains entry to by having won on Jeopardy, is not high at all. Demographically these are exactly the sort of people whom one would expect to be wokescolds, and they have additional reinforcement from the self-confidence they've gained by having won on Jeopardy.

If I were to venture an explanation, I would say that these are people who are anxious about their whiteness, and the only way to alleviate that anxiety is through "anti-racist" action. The point here is not actually to alleviate any social ill; the action is the end in itself. That's why the ADL is the villain to these people; in denying that their action is anti-racist, they are denying these Jeopardy contestants the right to self-actualization.

I learned of this petition at the time it was happening; it was ludicrous even at the time, since anyone could see (and plenty of people had seen) that the contestant in question was counting off his victories on his fingers in previous episodes. These people knew this full well when they chose to sign their names. I feel bad for the man in question that he's had to be subjected to this, but on the other hand this means that he's not part of the Jeopardy community, which is a net positive on the whole. I am surprised this story would make national media, but I guess it really does have everything.
That's disappointing to hear since I honestly have been thinking I would like to go on Jeopardy. I imagine it would still be fun and potentially profitable...just avoid getting involved in the community if that's the case.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2021, 05:57:12 PM »

That's disappointing to hear since I honestly have been thinking I would like to go on Jeopardy. I imagine it would still be fun and potentially profitable...just avoid getting involved in the community if that's the case.
I've made it to tryouts twice, but haven't figured out how to get them to pick me. Had I been on the show, especially had I been a champion, I would very vocally come to this guy's defense and chastised everyone dragging him through the mud, while also reminding everyone that I'm a liberal democrat myself.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2021, 06:00:35 PM »

The bottom line is that you need to address the topic instead of trying to create conspiracies about how liberals are no better than conservatives. I couldn't care less if you are a Trump supporter and you don't need clarify that you are not.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2021, 06:08:43 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2021, 06:15:44 PM by GP270watch »

Dude, it's a color. Nobody's allowed to wear red ever again?

During Trump's last few months government supporters and even members of the Secret Service took to wearing red ties to signal support for Trump. My comment was a joke relating to that, which should have been obvious by me stating I don't care about a Jeopardy contestant when we got white supremacists at the highest levels of government.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2021, 07:35:17 PM »

Oh, I wouldn't worry about that. Plenty of people I know have been on Jeopardy and they've all generally had a good time. Some of them have made some money and a few have made a lot of money. Most of the people I've known who have been on Jeopardy haven't been "Jeopardy people" and even the Jeopardy people I've known have generally been nice enough people; it's just that as a collective Jeopardy people are insufferable.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies