Draw a district challenge: Whites in 4th place (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:22:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Draw a district challenge: Whites in 4th place (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Draw a district challenge: Whites in 4th place  (Read 1487 times)
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« on: May 18, 2021, 09:38:49 PM »
« edited: May 19, 2021, 12:20:51 AM by The Community of Xi Guay Ong »

Fairly sure this can be done in Houston without dramatic gerrymandering, possibly also in the L.A. suburbs, but it would be uglier.

Maybe Arizona if you MD-03 all the Native American reservations with majority-Hispanic border areas with majority-black or Asian areas of Phoenix?

This is also pretty obviously achievable in the Bay Area and NYC, the former could probably be done with a pretty normal looking East Bay district, but the latter would require something quite ugly looking.  

2 longshot possibilities are VA with an I-95 district connecting the most Asian and Hispanic parts of NOVA to majority-black parts of Richmond and NC with a district connecting the Lumbee areas to the Research Triangle, though still I doubt the Native/Hispanic/Asian populations are large enough to make it work in NC.  

I doubt there are enough black or Asian areas in Arizona to do this there.  I'm trying the East Bay right now; it might be possible, but it's not so easy to get large numbers of black voters without whites *and* still connect them down to Fremont.  What's the best you can do?  

Idk if this is even possible with LAX. There just aren't enough black folks in the Metro of Angels for a contiguous 28-28-28-10 district.

edit: I stand corrected, this contiguous district is 37.2-28.2-28.4-6.5. I would've preferred to lump Compton + Inglewood together with Torrance + Long Beach and/or Fullerton + Garden Grove, but the racial math just doesn't work out.

ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 11:48:40 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2021, 12:16:21 AM by The Community of Xi Guay Ong »

This may be possible if in the East Bay region if you connect Oakland with San Jose. I'll post any (likely horrendously grotesque looking) updates.

Something along I-880 and I-80 would probably work.

Probably can't be done for the Bay Area; there aren't enough plurality/majority black areas between Richmond and Oakland to get over 19% or so. But if anyone wants to prove me wrong, be my guest.

I managed to get a South Central LAX-Compton-Torrance-Long Beach-Cerritos-Westminster district that's 28.5% Black, 28.4% Asian, and 9.7% Non-Hispanic White. This version completely bypasses downtown LA, and it makes more sense to draw an Inglewood + Long Beach district than an Inglewood + Alhambra one.

It's hard not only because so much of LA County is majority/plurality Mexican, but also because the various Asian-heavy suburbs are far from each other and tend to have a lot of White and/or Latino residents. Long Beach having a lot of super-diverse precincts doesn't help when you're trying to draw a district that's <10% White haha.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies