Anomalous Precincts And Why They Exist
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:14:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Anomalous Precincts And Why They Exist
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anomalous Precincts And Why They Exist  (Read 671 times)
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2021, 12:52:23 AM »
« edited: October 14, 2021, 02:02:12 AM by Secretary of State Liberal Hack »

Deep in the heart of the deep red texas panhandle almost a 100km north of Armarillo lies two seemingly random blue precints that seem to be drawn around the Town of Cactus.

The explanation seems to be the towns meetpacking plant which has attracted a large Burmese population which along with the traditional hispanics that occupy the town create a small democratic anomaly in the red panhandle.

Builder Refused
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 09:53:11 PM »

This is a good thread idea. There's probably a bunch of military bases and Christian universities that form Republican enclaves. Mostly in Texas my impression is like a bunch of ranchers, though I don't know exactly what percentage that is.
I'd be curiously to know how many precincts there are with voters in the single digits
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 02:07:05 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2021, 07:05:38 AM by Secretary of State Liberal Hack »

This is a good thread idea. There's probably a bunch of military bases and Christian universities that form Republican enclaves. Mostly in Texas my impression is like a bunch of ranchers, though I don't know exactly what percentage that is.
I'd be curiously to know how many precincts there are with voters in the single digits
Found an interesting one, in the otherwise universaly republican plains of western Kansas where town centers giving Trump 70% of the vote look like democratic bastions compared to their surroundings lies a tiny blue precinct in Nicodemus. One of the only african american towns settled in the old west.
Builder Refused
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 09:54:15 AM »

Well Kansas is interesting because it seems to be perfect 1/2 square mile 1 square mile 1 1/2 square mile  2 square mile 3 square mile 4 square mile 6 square mile squares or rectangles then the occasional tetris or like a tetris with 3 or 5 6 7 8 9 blocks instead of 4. Double that for rectangles, but the point is rivers exist.
Like Nicodemus for instance you can make a circuit out of 2 Rd, 0 Rd, 1 Rd, P Rd, Main Street, Highway 18, Highway 24, R Rd, The 575, and Highway 24 again. and that's about a perfectly enclosed 12 square miles made by a 2x2, a 1x1, and a 2x3.5, however Nicodemus only occupies like an eighth of a square mile, 12 blocks depending on how you define them. Apparently the township is like 32.4 square miles though so with the homestead act that could be like 128 farms. There's about 4 miles as the crow flies until you get to Bogue. Blocks seem to pretty sparse though, like Nicodemus is 2 people per block, maybe 200 people per square mile
Hill City has like 103 contiguous blocks at 14 people per block then that'd mean each block is like 1/100 of a square mile. This is the same for Nicodemus where it's like 1/96 of a square mile. By this axiom then it's like 528 foot blocks. Or in other words, almost two football fields. In reality however they're 384 feet because I larger blocks area wise skew the estimate. I'm tempted to say something about street width but I'm painfully bored of this subject by now and I don't know how I got this far into probing it.
Builder Refused
Rookie
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 06:36:17 PM »

I mean...for something where there's 180,000 things and many many small sample sizes you have a huge chance for anomalies.  I'm sort of interested in where this can be drawn comparison wise, like University Park, Texas, why is that Republican? Probably Christian college I guess.
Langston Oklahoma is pretty interesting 287 D 8 R

I dunno the contrasts right. like R+50 to D+50 would be anomalous

Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 06:53:46 PM »

Langston is a historically Black town which also has an HBCU. It's over 90% Black, so voting the way it does is no surprise.

University Park is an extremely affluent area, sort of the Dallas Equivalent of Buckhead along with Highland Park. I think it's even more monolithically rich than other similar areas in major southern cities, since it's a separate municipality, which may explain why it's stuck with Republicans while other cities' favored quarters have eroded.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 01:02:44 AM »

I mean...for something where there's 180,000 things and many many small sample sizes you have a huge chance for anomalies.  I'm sort of interested in where this can be drawn comparison wise, like University Park, Texas, why is that Republican? Probably Christian college I guess.
Langston Oklahoma is pretty interesting 287 D 8 R

I dunno the contrasts right. like R+50 to D+50 would be anomalous
Langston University is the Historically Black Public University in Oklahoma. The Morrill Act establishing lang grant universities required that they admit Blacks, or that a separate institution be established. Langston is in a rural area. Oklahoma does not have a large Black population, and that there is in urban areas or around military bases (Tinker AFB or Fort Sill). If you were career Army, you would not choose Lawton for retirement.

Unless you were a Langston legacy, you would not go to a tiny college (1400 students) in the middle of nowhere, unless it was illegal to go to OU, OSU, or Central State, or Northeastern State).

If you are looking for an inverse, check southwestern Dallas around Dallas Baptist.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 01:23:40 AM »

What about this one in eastern White Pine County, NV? DRA shows nearly 70% white, so it's not because of a reservation...

IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 01:43:26 AM »
« Edited: October 17, 2021, 01:49:11 AM by Secretary of State Liberal Hack »

What about this one in eastern White Pine County, NV? DRA shows nearly 70% white, so it's not because of a reservation...

Seems  to be great basin national park. Probably Federal goverment employss and tourism workers making it blue.

In the middle of Seattle in a sea of Biden +70 precincts there's this relatively conservative precint that's only Biden +23. It seems like all the county buildings are located here including an adult detention facility which I suspect is the cause of the area's conservatism.

Builder Refused
Rookie
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 09:47:01 AM »

On another note I counted 217 D+75 precincts in Florida in these areas
Saint Petersburg, Tampa, Lakeland, Gordonville, Palmetto, Arcadia
Homestead, West Perrine, Coral Gables, Little Haiti, Miami Gardens, West Park, Dania Beach, Fort Lauderdale, North Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, Deerfield Beach, Delray Beach, Boynton Beach, Riviera Beach, Indiantown, Belle Glade
Fort Pierce, Orlando, Winter Haven, Deland, Daytona Beach, Jacksonville, Gainesville, Ocala,
Tallahassee, Quincy, Panama City, Pensacola, Moore Haven, Wauchula, Palatka
The last is the only one that borders an R+75.
no comment besides that
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies