How do Italian-American converts to Protestantism vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:04:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How do Italian-American converts to Protestantism vote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How do Italian-American converts to Protestantism vote?  (Read 569 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2021, 10:18:29 PM »

Honestly I'm willing to bet they're more D than Italian-American Catholics: They're probably more likely to live in urban areas than the sort of notoriously racist northeastern suburbs or places like Staten Island and are less likely to be prone to Trumpy politics or "law and order" Giuliani-type stuff.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 04:20:05 AM »

Probably a big gap between converts to Evangelicalism and mainline Protestantism. Given that there aren't many converts to mainline Protestantism from Catholicism besides the partners in some interdenominational marriages and a few theological liberals, I suspect that overall Italian American Protestant converts are more Republican voting than their Catholic counterparts. I've said this before, but conversion of Catholic (and to a lesser extent Jewish) "ethnic" whites to Evangelical Protestantism as a result of suburbanization and move to the Sunbelt from the cities of the Northeast and Midwest is one of the most understudied phenomena in modern American history.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 09:56:41 AM »

My contractor in Hudson is an Italian who converted to Evangelical Protestantism. He is a member of the Conservative Party in NY.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 10:33:40 AM »

For heresy.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 12:03:13 PM »

How do you define "Italian-American?"

Texas and Louisiana have a decent number of Italian-surnamed people because New Orleans and Galveston were once major points of immigration.

If they are Protestant today, it's probably due to either intermarriage with non-Italian Protestants to the point where there's very little Italian about them today except their surname, or choosing to go to a local Protestant megachurch rather than a Catholic parish that's likely smaller and not as plugged into the community. In either case, I'd bet these people are very Republican.

Maybe in the North, you have more Catholic-to-Mainline-Protestant defection and if the switch was recent, those people would specifically probably be more D-leaning today.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 12:38:36 PM »

Given that there aren't many converts to mainline Protestantism from Catholicism besides the partners in some interdenominational marriages and a few theological liberals,

This is actually not true at all.

https://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/chapter-2-religious-switching-and-intermarriage

Pew survey said 5% of those raised Catholic are now mainline. That may not sound like a lot, but it's over 10% of all ex-Catholics, still covers millions of people. Some quick Fermi style math from that survey indicates that the number of Catholic-to-mainline converts is higher than the population of South Carolina.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 02:40:10 PM »

My manager at my last job is this sort of person. I don't think that he's especially religious, but he was raised Catholic but now attends a Protestant congregation (presumably mainline, but I didn't ask) with his wife and children. We never talked about politics, but he lives in Buckhead and he and his wife both have six-figure jobs, so it seems like a solid guess that he used to vote Republican but now votes Democratic. In this sense I think he'd be indistinguishable from other congregants at his church.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 03:05:47 PM »

My manager at my last job is this sort of person. I don't think that he's especially religious, but he was raised Catholic but now attends a Protestant congregation (presumably mainline, but I didn't ask) with his wife and children. We never talked about politics, but he lives in Buckhead and he and his wife both have six-figure jobs, so it seems like a solid guess that he used to vote Republican but now votes Democratic. In this sense I think he'd be indistinguishable from other congregants at his church.
He sounds like an exceptionally normal person which isn't surprising but would be shocking to some people here because they believe such converts are so rare that any that exist would have to be absolutely crazy.
thebeloitmoderate
Mexico

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2021, 04:43:49 PM »

Urban Italian Americans are pretty much the "urban Catholic rednecks" uses their racism, anti blackness, and white grievances to cause damage
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies