Millennials have become more Republican as they have aged
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:16:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Millennials have become more Republican as they have aged
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Millennials have become more Republican as they have aged  (Read 2978 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2021, 06:56:22 AM »

My theory is not that people have become more conservative or more liberal, but that the more liberal voters are higher propensity in their youth relative to conservative young voters, who tend to not vote early on in their life as much, but do much later as they grow.
This also helps to explain the low turnout among younger voters in general.

If this is true, it would make sense from anecdotal standpoints, young activists are almost always supporting Democrats, while the less engaged would probably be more likely to vote Republican if forced.

I think that's 100% true.  And I think that explains some of the reason Trump did "better" among asians and hispanics, because he brought out lower propensity young ones who don't tend to vote. 

I also think the goalposts shift as people age.  When I first voted it was considered ultra liberal to support gay marriage.  Now that's considered a moderate position. 

On a lot of other issues the same things are being litigated year in and year out. It’s really interesting to think where we would be if there was no judicial intervention on segregation or abortion.

Back to the original topic:

I think this could go either way. Are these Trump voters or new Republican voters? Can Democrats still rely on their base? In a lot of ways, 2020 was a lot like 2004 and 2012 (a lot of movement stalled on the incumbent side but they still won by motivating a lot of people who would vote for the other team 10 years ago and between then and now just wouldn’t vote). If 2022 goes heavily Republican and if Democrats don’t get anything done, Democrats should campaign in 2024 as if Trump is still president. With SCOTUS and heavily Republican controlled swing states doing what they’re  doing, it might not be that hard.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2021, 10:21:39 AM »

Hasn't the GOP become far more religiously fundamentalist than it was four years ago?

Lol no
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2021, 05:55:59 PM »

There's also some young conservatives who took one look at Donald Trump and the endless anti-gay, anti-trans crap and have questioned whether the Republican Party reflects their values or not.  That hardly gets as much attention as the "liberals become conservatives with age (:" viewpoint.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2021, 09:17:33 PM »

Hasn't the GOP become far more religiously fundamentalist than it was four years ago?

Lol no

I don't think the party itself has per say, but I think Donald Trump enabled the zealots in a way that George W. Bush (a true believer) and Reagan never could.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2021, 10:08:10 PM »

Lol no

I don't think the party itself has per say, but I think Donald Trump enabled the zealots in a way that George W. Bush (a true believer) and Reagan never could.

Different style of zealots though, as W Bush pushed religous  right issues far more than Trump . I think this article best summarizes the difference between Bush view on social issues vs  Trump

https://unherd.com/2021/02/are-you-a-basic-conservative/
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2021, 08:17:22 AM »

Lol no

Trump obviously isn’t a religious fundamentalist. But what about the new GOP House members (Marjorie Taylor Greene, Madison Cawthorn, and Barry Moore)?
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2021, 08:38:46 PM »

The GOP is less religious now than it has ever been and it is trending even more that way.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies