BREAKING: Roe v. Wade might be overruled or severely weakened by SCOTUS (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:11:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Roe v. Wade might be overruled or severely weakened by SCOTUS (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING: Roe v. Wade might be overruled or severely weakened by SCOTUS  (Read 12126 times)
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« on: May 17, 2021, 10:38:37 AM »

I'm honestly increasingly beginning to believe this is a good thing. It would drive D turnout up and R turnout down for the midterms.

And the women unable to get abortions in the meantime are just collateral damage?

But people keep on telling me that abortion bans have no affect on the rate of abortion!

If you want to be precise, rich women who want to get an abortion will get an abortion by travelling to California/Canada for the weekend (your pick) and paying out of pocket; while poor women will just have to suck it up and raise the child (or put him up for adoption, or do a dangerous illegal abortion)
Wrong. If a woman leaves Georgia to get an abortion in Virginia (the closest state with legal abortion), the woman can be charged with a crime.

I'm fairly sure this violates freedom of movement
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 02:23:13 PM »

There are likely five votes to overrule these cases too, even if John Roberts votes not to.

Isn't For such in favour of gay rights, I don't think him and Roberts would support this. Also Kavanaugh wasn't always in support of abortion restrictions.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 09:49:24 PM »

Most likely scenario is a 5-4 decision with any one of the Roberts/Kavanaugh/Coney Barett/Gorsuch group joining the liberals, reversing Roe v. Wade, and ruling that states also cannot legalize abortion.
If the blue states just said no to this, what would happen hypothetically saying, after all who would enforce it?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies