BREAKING: Roe v. Wade might be overruled or severely weakened by SCOTUS
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:28:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Roe v. Wade might be overruled or severely weakened by SCOTUS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14
Author Topic: BREAKING: Roe v. Wade might be overruled or severely weakened by SCOTUS  (Read 12089 times)
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 17, 2021, 08:28:14 PM »

does anyone here think that certain sects of christianity might have to be outlawed for america to survive? Basically AOG, Pentecostals, nondenom, SSPX/Latin catholicism might all need to be banned. The sad thing is that there are a lot of conservative christians who are otherwise nice people. But like where do we draw the line. I kind of think Tushnet is right.

Because the right to kill your child is more important than the right to believe what you think is right.

Your rights end where others' rights begin.

Absolutely right. Now end abortion.

I’m glad to see red avatars are, in their fond phrase, “saying the quiet part out loud.”

Women who need access to safe and legal abortions should be allowed to get safe and legal abortions. I really fail to see why we should be trampling on women's rights to force the birth of a child which will end up being abused in the foster care system or raised by somebody without the means to raise the child effectively, especially when religious fundamentalist nuts like you also want to end sex education and ban contraception. Furthermore, banning abortion will do nothing to stop abortions, it just means they'll be done unsafely, which makes death or injury to the mother more likely. So literally nothing good comes from banning abortion, but I'm sure you don't care as long as you can force your backwards religion on people and exert more control over women.

Sex education is okay, theoretically. Contraception and abortion are the same thing, except one is far more violent. Banning things actually does cause the rate to decrease. The value of life is not predicated on what will unfold. The good that comes from banning abortion is the end to murdering children. I'm not sure how this is "controlling women," that talking point has never made sense to me even when I was sympathetic to your view.

Taking away a woman's right to do something = controlling women. Not really that hard to understand. It eliminates their autonomy to decide whether they willing or able to carry an unwanted pregnancy to term, instead putting that personal medical decision in the hands of the state. It's strange to me how "small government conservatives" are just fine with a big government as long as it's restricting the rights of people they don't like.

I’m not a conservative and I’m certainly not about small government. If you engage in good faith, you might learn a thing or two about other peoples positions instead of incoherently ranting to the void.

If we define limiting complete autonomy as controlling women, we have a long way to go to fully emancipate not just women but everyone. Control as such is vital to organized society.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #151 on: May 17, 2021, 08:28:50 PM »

You know the Supreme Court made a horrible mistake when even a restriction down to 15 weeks would still put the US well to the left of a lot of European countries. Yah, there need to be some major restrictions, especially when half the country wants them. I guess the Supreme Court was under the fanatical impression that the US Overton window was to the left of Europe on this issue in 1973?

Whatever the court decides should be based on the law and not the will of the public. Nobody cares what the mob thinks of this issue. It has no say in the affairs of the individual.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #152 on: May 17, 2021, 08:36:54 PM »

Well Murder law's don't stop all murder, time to repeal them all!

To harry: That's basically what you are arguing. Find and use another argument to defend the pro choice perspective.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #153 on: May 17, 2021, 08:46:31 PM »

To harry: That's basically what you are arguing. Find and use another argument to defend the pro choice perspective.

I think you, uh, totally misread what I'm saying...
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #154 on: May 17, 2021, 09:08:54 PM »

I'm rather shocked they didn't hold off on taking this type of case until the spring 2023 term, given the current composition of the federal government. 

Alternative theory: Roberts and Kavanaugh have worked out a relatively uncontroversial way of resolving it?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #155 on: May 17, 2021, 09:20:48 PM »

I'm rather shocked they didn't hold off on taking this type of case until the spring 2023 term, given the current composition of the federal government. 

Alternative theory: Roberts and Kavanaugh have worked out a relatively uncontroversial way of resolving it?
If that were the case, questions 2 and 3 would be addressed.
Wormless Gourd
cringenat
United States

« Reply #156 on: May 17, 2021, 09:21:34 PM »

My predictions(pulled out of my butt):
1. 5-4 vote hands a defeat to Mississippi in part motivated to the court not wanting to get packed/reduce perceptions of being politicized
2. Alternatively, Roe v. Wade is over, abortion policy gets a hard reset and managed at the state level, all hell breaks loose
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #157 on: May 17, 2021, 09:41:54 PM »

Glad to see you support banning AR-15s.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #158 on: May 17, 2021, 09:42:54 PM »

Manchin is pro-life, right? So even if he could support court-packing this would be the wrong issue to do it, and Democrats would then only have 49 votes to codify Roe v Wade (Murkowski and Collins claim they're pro-choice though but it would be a big leap for them to openly sabotage the Republican agenda).
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #159 on: May 17, 2021, 09:43:28 PM »

Anyways, both morally and politically, I hope this passes. Abortion is a form of murder and should only be protected federally for very specific situations.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #160 on: May 17, 2021, 09:46:31 PM »

Not good.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #161 on: May 17, 2021, 09:53:40 PM »

Manchin is pro-life, right? So even if he could support court-packing this would be the wrong issue to do it, and Democrats would then only have 49 votes to codify Roe v Wade (Murkowski and Collins claim they're pro-choice though but it would be a big leap for them to openly sabotage the Republican agenda).
The right case to do it is Brnovich v. DNC.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #162 on: May 17, 2021, 11:40:20 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2021, 11:44:12 PM by MR. KAYNE WEST »

I am not worried about Roe v Wade being overturned, the female can give the baby up for adoption if she chooses she doesn't want to have it

Back during the 90s and 2009s we had higher birth rates and teenage pregnancy, now due to rising cost of living, the birth rates have gone down

It's over, Roe will return abortion back to states and its about time
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #163 on: May 17, 2021, 11:55:07 PM »

Anyways, both morally and politically, I hope this passes. Abortion is a form of murder and should only be protected federally for very specific situations.

Murder is the unlawful killing of another human being. If abortion is legal, it is explicitly not murder.
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #164 on: May 17, 2021, 11:57:08 PM »

Murder is the unlawful killing of another human being. If abortion is legal, it is explicitly not murder.

The state has no moral power to legalize abortion, just as it has no moral power to legalize any sort of human rights violations.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #165 on: May 18, 2021, 12:03:37 AM »

The state has no moral power to legalize abortion, just as it has no moral power to legalize any sort of human rights violations.

Abortion is something he feels very strongly about defending for some reason, probably to maintain his "my side is infinitely morally superior to yours" schtick.  He has me on ignore because I called him out a few years ago when he was telling me that I can't oppose abortion unless I spend every waking moment helping the poor.  I don't think he's very confident in his position.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #166 on: May 18, 2021, 12:06:13 AM »

The decision is gonna be made next yr, not this year anyways, we got a long time, but it's inevitable that Roe will be overturned
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #167 on: May 18, 2021, 12:25:14 AM »
« Edited: May 18, 2021, 12:30:42 AM by Tsaiite »

Weird take.

The state has no legitimate right to usurp bodily autonomy without overwhelming cause--and can never default to that as a blanket rule. That's the moral issue here. Government will never justly be able to regulate abortion because it lies so far beyond the bounds of legitimate collective power. The role of the state is to create guidelines for orderly society, preserve security, formalize the economy, protect individual rights, and provide certain services. Any action beyond that--for example, prohibiting abortion--is such an egregious act of tyranny that--no matter how popular it may be--it can never be just. If the state ventures into these areas, it loses all semblance of moral authority and is no different from a barbarous, uncivilized mob. Which, of course, would literally defeat the entire purpose of the American project.

You have literally no moral authority on anything, ever.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #168 on: May 18, 2021, 12:33:11 AM »

Sadly, it’s very unlikely that it would be fully overturned (Although if that were to happen, it would be a great victory for some of the most vulnerable in our society). However, even if you are Pro-Choice, you should be able to recognize that Roe is constitutionally faulty. Roe is based on the idea that one has a “Right to Privacy” to decide to get an abortion. No where in the constitution does such a right exist, so quite literally it was made up out of thin air. A ruling that is based upon made up rights deserves nothing less than to be struck down.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #169 on: May 18, 2021, 12:40:20 AM »

The Churches promotes adoptions, and family members whom are able to care for the unwanted baby cab adopt it as well

No one needs to have an abortion, it's just an emotional attachment to the child once the baby is born
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #170 on: May 18, 2021, 12:43:39 AM »

That's not how Western legal culture works.
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #171 on: May 18, 2021, 12:49:14 AM »

That's not how Western legal culture works.

We executed people for the Holocaust, which was also “legal.”
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #172 on: May 18, 2021, 12:49:36 AM »

Only people who voted for Hillary Clinton on 11/8/2016 get to complain if they overturn Roe v. Wade.

I was not eligible to do so but I voted for Biden can I still complain please
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #173 on: May 18, 2021, 12:51:03 AM »

Weird take.

The state has no legitimate right to usurp bodily autonomy without overwhelming cause--and can never default to that as a blanket rule. That's the moral issue here. Government will never justly be able to regulate abortion because it lies so far beyond the bounds of legitimate collective power. The role of the state is to create guidelines for orderly society, preserve security, formalize the economy, protect individual rights, and provide certain services. Any action beyond that--for example, prohibiting abortion--is such an egregious act of tyranny that--no matter how popular it may be--it can never be just. If the state ventures into these areas, it loses all semblance of moral authority and is no different from a barbarous, uncivilized mob. Which, of course, would literally defeat the entire purpose of the American project.

You have literally no moral authority on anything, ever.

Even under a “bodily autonomy” analysis abortion still fails. The fetus has every much right to bodily autonomy as its mother.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #174 on: May 18, 2021, 12:56:14 AM »

Only people who voted for Hillary Clinton on 11/8/2016 get to complain if they overturn Roe v. Wade.

I was not eligible to do so but I voted for Biden can I still complain please

Same here with the extra caveat that I literally worked on the Hillary campaign, so I'd also like to request permission to complain.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies