What is everyone's opinion on parallel voting?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:36:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  What is everyone's opinion on parallel voting?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Parallel voting?
Freedom system

Horrible system

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 11

Author Topic: What is everyone's opinion on parallel voting?  (Read 1652 times)
Agafin
Cameroon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2021, 11:35:38 PM »

I used to be a big fan of proportional voting systems but seeing how Israel might have something like 5 elections in about two years, and just can't manage to create a government just shows that having "too much" proportionality can be a problem too.

And mixed member proportional representation does not solve the underlying problem since it just allows part of the representatives to be locally elected but at the core it's still almost entirely a proportional system and it looks like several parties can really game the system like in the recent Scottish elections where some indepence parties were trying to artificially increase the representation of indy voters by only (or mostly) running list candidates.

While being 100% first past the post is terrible for reasons that we all know, I do think that bigger parties having an advantage over small parties  (but without being able to just wipe them out) is good. My best combination would be half of the seats being filled through instant-run-off voting and the other half proportionally (open or closed list, I'm not sure which is better just yet).

By the way, this is what I'm talking about: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_voting

Thoughts?
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 07:38:22 PM »

The trouble with mixed-member majoritarian systems is that they’re a clunky compromise between party list proportional systems, and single-member district systems. They attempt to both introduce better proportionality into existing single-member district systems, or to force a consensus to emerge in fragmented proportional systems, but end up sucking at both.

In the first case, parties which win a significant fraction of the vote still win a much smaller percentage of seats, which suppresses parties that enjoy broad popular support. In the second case, it compromises the legitimacy of an otherwise proportional result, which can introduce the appearance of impropriety into the election.

Furthermore, having two separate electoral mechanisms for different parts of the same legislative body is a rather clunky and inefficient system. I am also critical of the implementation of Germany’s MMP system, for this exact reason. It can create confusion and resentment towards the system from any number of corners.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies