What requirements would you add/remove to running for the presidency?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:56:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What requirements would you add/remove to running for the presidency?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What requirements would you add/remove to running for the presidency?  (Read 2072 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2021, 08:18:05 PM »

Straightforward question. Would you lower the eligible age? Would you let foreign-born citizens run? Are there any other creative requirements you'd add, such as releasing your tax returns? Let's hear some ideas.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 08:37:42 PM »

I’d remove both the age and the natural-born requirement.
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 11:29:07 PM »

Candidates would be required to provide financial disclosures, including income tax returns. If they have assets or properties, they would be required to place the assets in a third-party blind trust, and may only receive control of them back when they leave office.

Candidates can be disqualified from standing for election if they are found guilty of committing electoral crimes, or if they were expelled from office following an impeachment.

It’s important to note here that I draw a distinct difference between active suffrage (the right to cast a ballot in an election) and passive suffrage (the privilege of being elected by fellow citizens).
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 10:10:23 AM »

I’d remove the natural-born requirement. I see no reason why a long-time citizen like Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger shouldn’t be allowed to run.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 10:55:09 AM »

If you voted for Donald Trump in 2020, you are not allowed to run.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 10:27:56 PM »

If you voted for Donald Trump in 2020, you are not allowed to run.
What if you were closing your eyes while voting and accidentally voted for Trump
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 10:28:41 PM »

I see no reason at all to change the minimum age rule.

I am open to the possibility of removing the natural-born-citizenship rule. It's not a high priority to me, but if it's proposed, I'll support it.

Repeal the 22nd Amendment, allowing presidents to serve for as many terms as the voters will vote for them.

In terms of fixing the process of running for President, I'm in favor of creating, via a constitutional amendment, a schedule for when presidential primaries and caucuses (if any states continue to hold the latter) can be held.

Prohibit any state from holding a presidential primary or caucus before April 1 (of leap year).

Allow the smallest states, which have just 3 or 4 electoral college votes, to hold primaries in April. This would mean Alaska, Delaware, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Idaho, Maine, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wyoming could all choose any date in April for their primaries/caucuses. (The amendment would probably also stipulate that the New Hampshire law that says their state must be first in the nation would be void.)

Allow the medium-sized states, which have 5 to 11 electoral college votes, to hold primaries/caucuses in May. The states which could do so would be Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, and Wisconsin. These states could choose any date in May for when to hold their primaries or caucuses.

Make all of the largest states wait until June to hold their primaries or caucuses. That would include California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, and Washington. Again, these states could choose any date in June. The majority of delegates to the national conventions would not be selected until June.

With our current system, the nominations are usually already assured by March, and we have to wait an agonizing amount of time until the conventions are held.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 01:09:19 AM »

I'd get rid of the natural born citizen and age requirement. As long as you're eligible to vote in the United States you should be allowed to run.

(I'd do the same thing for senate+house).
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 09:19:40 AM »

All those requirements are stupid, and should be removed from the Constitution.  

If the American electorate wishes to vote for a 3-year-old Oriental toddler king, then so be it.  
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 12:37:37 AM »

Age requirement.

I'm not saying that this is specifically because I'm nowhere near 35, or that my 35th birthday is LITERALLY less than a year after an election, which means that I have to wait until I'm 38.

But because Donald Trump was elected and served as President, proving that age has no effect on stupidity.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 07:32:49 AM »

In my opinion the problem is that the POTUS has too much power. The POTUS should not have the power to wage war without a vote in Congress and Congress shouldn't pass that buck.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 11:03:23 AM »

Grandfather clause and landholding requirements
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2021, 03:44:19 PM »

IQ test and pass a test on world politics, history, geography, culture and release tax returns
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2021, 06:24:34 PM »

Could you elaborate?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2021, 07:32:30 PM »

Could you elaborate?

/s
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2021, 10:50:56 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2021, 10:53:58 PM by America Needs Kali »

In my opinion the problem is that the POTUS has too much power. The POTUS should not have the power to wage war without a vote in Congress and Congress shouldn't pass that buck.

You cannot reform or shrink the power of the Presidency without first dealing with the polarization and dysfunction that has increasingly defined Congress in recent years.  If we want Congress to once again assume its proper role as the pre-eminent power in the federal government (the Founding Fathers put it first in the Constitution for a reason), it needs to be a fully operational branch at the very least -and it is painfully obvious that it isn't.  Once we have re-established Congress as a viable alternative, only then can we look towards shrinking the Presidency back down to its proper role as the second most powerful branch.  
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2021, 03:22:59 PM »

-Release 10 years of income tax returns.
-Cut the age requirement from 35 to 25.
-Cut out the native born requirement, make it 30 year's citizenship/residence with an exemption for those brought here under the age of 5.
-Require an exam for mental health and capacity. This isn't because of Trump (although he'd likely fail it) but that we need to know if said person can be trusted with the football.

Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2021, 05:50:19 PM »

My general philosophy in this regard is (with a few exceptions) that there should be as few requirements as possible - people can make the decision for themselves. If they want to elected a twenty-seven-year-old born in Malta for president three times, so be it. On the other hand, I would add the following requirement:
  • You must release at least 5 years of tax records.
  • You must release all criminal records.
The reason I'd add those requirements is because I believe that people choosing has two sides to it: one, that there are no constiutional limits on whom they can vote for (see above) and two, that they are not being deprived of vital information that may help them make their decision. For example, you may want to vote for a twenty-seven-year-old born in Malta to three terms, but first, you should have the knowledge of how much money they are paying in taxes.

Following the above philosophy, I would remove/modify these requirements:
  • You must be born in the United States.
  • You may not serve more than 10 years as president.
  • You must be at least 35 years old (I would make 35 eighteen, the age at which one becomes an adult)
Terlylane
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2021, 07:10:17 PM »

Remove natural born citizen requirement and lower the age to 30.
Terlylane
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2021, 07:12:05 PM »

IQ test and pass a test on world politics, history, geography, culture and release tax returns
IQ tests are terrible at everything and not to be used for scientific purposes.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2021, 02:13:32 PM »

- Raise the age requirement from 35 to 40, though I’m not firm on this
- Have executive experience at the local and state levels
- Release tax returns
- Not have a Twitter account
- Not be a lawyer or have run a nonprofit
- Not have been involved in national campaign politics before

The point is to have someone who has a well-documented history of being rooted in a community and who isn’t another part of the political-media-campaign-consultant industrial complex.

mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2021, 12:05:41 AM »

Keep age limit and perhaps even put in an upper age limit like 35 minimum 75 maximum as at older ages chances of dying in office much higher.  Or at least mandate those over 70 running, must have VP under 55.  Get rid of natural born citizen and instead require one to have been US citizen for so many years (I would say 20 years) and resided in US for that time.  No reason an immigrant who has lived in US for a long time cannot run.  Also bar anyone with a criminal record that involved serving over 1 year in prison from running.  Likewise bar anyone who has served in a foreign army from running.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2021, 07:04:17 PM »

Add an education and minimum experience requirement. Remove the age requirement.
Karenthecomputer
Rookie
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2021, 08:47:00 AM »

75 year age limit and remove natural born citizen requirement.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2021, 10:50:27 AM »

The point is to have someone who has a well-documented history of being rooted in a community and who isn’t another part of the political-media-campaign-consultant industrial complex.

Yeah right who wants qualified people running for president?

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies