Does anyone have detailed results for the 1975 EEC referendum?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:12:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Does anyone have detailed results for the 1975 EEC referendum?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does anyone have detailed results for the 1975 EEC referendum?  (Read 1036 times)
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2021, 02:03:23 PM »

Does anyone have detailed results for the 1975 EEC referendum? The Wikipedia results aren’t very detailed.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 03:13:04 PM »

No (I don't think there are any) but what I would say is that where you do have queries the 'Ask the Forum' thread at Vote UK is a far better place to ask in general - you'll get a much quicker response by default.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 03:14:45 PM »

No (I don't think there are any) but what I would say is that where you do have queries the 'Ask the Forum' thread at Vote UK is a far better place to ask in general - you'll get a much quicker response by default.

Thanks for the advice. Shall I ask there?
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 03:15:47 PM »

Thanks for the advice. Shall I ask there?

Yeah - that'll confirm whether there were any published. From what I recall, the results were counted by counties as basically everywhere had county councils at the time.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 03:16:40 PM »

Idk if it was the one which you'd already looked at, but - in contrast to the mere results section of the main page on the referendum itself - this Wikipedia article has the results from each of the 68 individual local counting areas in which the votes were counted: 47 in England, 12 in Scotland, 8 in Wales, & Northern Ireland all by itself.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 03:18:09 PM »

Idk if it was the one which you'd already looked at, but - in contrast to the mere results section of the main page on the referendum itself - this Wikipedia article has the results from each of the 68 individual local counting areas in which the votes were counted: 47 in England, 12 in Scotland, 8 in Wales, & Northern Ireland all by itself.
That's probably the most detailed it goes. Thanks for this.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 03:18:56 PM »

That's probably the most detailed it goes. Thanks for this.

Of course, no problem! Happy to help out!!
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 03:26:17 PM »

Just looking at it two things strike me.

1) Significantly different results in Orkney and Shetland. Was fishing more prominent in Shetland? That's all I can think of.

2) I wonder how it broke down in Northern Ireland. Catholics and moderate Protestants for; DUP against? IIRC the UUP opposed it, but only narrowly; so it could be this.
Gary JG
Rookie
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 01:11:40 PM »

It seems that the Conservatives wanted all the ballots for the whole United Kingdom, to be brought together and counted in one place. There was a Liberal amendment to the Referendum Bill, which would have counted by parliamentary constituency. However the final Labour amendment, which passed, was to count by county (or equivalent); which seems to be the lowest level at which results were compiled.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 01:27:15 PM »

It seems that the Conservatives wanted all the ballots for the whole United Kingdom, to be brought together and counted in one place. There was a Liberal amendment to the Referendum Bill, which would have counted by parliamentary constituency. However the final Labour amendment, which passed, was to count by county (or equivalent); which seems to be the lowest level at which results were compiled.

My understanding is that Labour didn’t want a vote by constituency as a close vote would have embarrassed a lot of Yes-supporting Labour MP’s representing No-voting constituencies. Of course this didn’t matter in the end given the emphatic nature of the result.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 02:20:16 PM »

My understanding is that Labour didn’t want a vote by constituency as a close vote would have embarrassed a lot of Yes-supporting Labour MP’s representing No-voting constituencies. Of course this didn’t matter in the end given the emphatic nature of the result.

How many No constituencies do you think there were? I struggle to see more than one or two in the Welsh valleys (56% Yes) and the ‘Red Wall’. (Of course Western Isles, maybe some in East London?)
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 05:10:57 AM »

How many No constituencies do you think there were? I struggle to see more than one or two in the Welsh valleys (56% Yes) and the ‘Red Wall’. (Of course Western Isles, maybe some in East London?)

Very few, aside from the Scottish islands the only place I can imagine returning No voting constituencies is Northern Ireland, such as Paisley’s seat in North Antrim. Difficult to say how the other seats would have voted - I’d assume Down North, which contained NI’s affluent ‘Gold Coast’ (which is the area that the constituency has shrunk to nowadays, it was bigger in 1975 as there were only 12 constituencies), would probably have voted Yes. Some of the more industrial and working class Belfast seats might have voted no, but I’d actually expect a lot of the more rural seats to have voted Yes given the massive support given to the Yes campaign by farmers.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2021, 05:15:01 AM »

Very few, aside from the Scottish islands the only place I can imagine returning No voting constituencies is Northern Ireland, such as Paisley’s seat in North Antrim. Difficult to say how the other seats would have voted - I’d assume Down North, which contained NI’s affluent ‘Gold Coast’ (which is the area that the constituency has shrunk to nowadays, it was bigger in 1975 as there were only 12 constituencies), would probably have voted Yes. Some of the more industrial and working class Belfast seats might have voted no, but I’d actually expect a lot of the more rural seats to have voted Yes given the massive support given to the Yes campaign by farmers.

Ebbw Vale perhaps?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies