Mapping UK constituencies by social deprivation (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:09:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Mapping UK constituencies by social deprivation (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mapping UK constituencies by social deprivation  (Read 3623 times)
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« on: May 11, 2021, 03:12:40 AM »

Yesterday I saw the following amazing Twitter thread, and today since I was bored I decided to translate that chart into maps.

EDIT: Thanks to you all for your compliments and recommendations.

Looking over the most deprived constituencies I'm pretty shocked that the Tories managed to win a seat in Blackpool (!)

Labour winning a seat as high up the rankings as Sheffield Hallam - without it being in London, and with their main rivals being the LDs and not the Tories - is perhaps the most shocking result on the chart.

Although, to be honest, a quick poke around Wokingham on Google Maps wouldn't make me guess it was the least-deprived constituency in the whole UK, or even particularly far above the top 25%, so perhaps the rankings mean less than I would have thought.

Low deprivation isn't the same thing as wealth.  Sheffield Hallam is very middle class with only a couple of enclaves of poorer areas, and bits of it are genuinely quite wealthy, but its average income won't be as high as a lot of Tory seats in the South East.  It's also a relatively professional, public sector, educated middle class, none of which helps the Tories these days, though it might help the Lib Dems.

If you look at the 2011 census returns, there are two higher middle class categories for occupation: "1. Managers, directors and senior officials" and "2. Professional occupations".  Sheffield Hallam is ranked second in the UK on the latter (after Cambridge) but only 115th on the former.

I don't really know Wokingham, but I suspect it is similarly very middle class rather than outright posh.  Quite a bit of it is suburbs of Reading, a town with an absurdly tightly drawn boundary.  It's 52nd on "managers" and 42nd on "professionals".

Top 10 on "managers":

Kensington
Cities of London and Westminster
Chelsea and Fulham

Richmond Park
Beaconsfield
Esher and Walton

Westminster North
Chesham and Amersham
Tatton
Buckingham

Top 10 on "professionals":