Mapping UK constituencies by social deprivation (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:08:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Mapping UK constituencies by social deprivation (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mapping UK constituencies by social deprivation  (Read 3654 times)
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« on: May 09, 2021, 12:56:31 PM »
« edited: May 10, 2021, 07:53:09 AM by Modern Martyr Aldo Moro »

Yesterday I saw the following amazing Twitter thread, and today since I was bored I decided to translate that chart into maps.

EDIT: Thanks to you all for your compliments and recommendations.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 01:00:07 PM »

UK constituencies by social deprivation (1 is the most deprived decile, 10 is the least deprived decile):

𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 01:06:43 PM »

UK constituencies by social deprivation and party that holds the seat (1 is still the most deprived decile and 10 is still the least deprived decile). I hope I'll be forgiven for recycling some colours for different parties - I only did for parties which run in separate regions, so the result should be unambiguous:

𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 10:47:59 PM »

I’ve spoken before about how many Americans on here, when doing the semi-regular “How would the UK vote if it were part of the US” exercise, don’t realise how much more urban the British white working class is than their American counterparts, but looking at these maps, I’ve also realised that the opposite is true. Unlike the UK, the US doesn’t really have any major areas of rural affluence, and its well-off citizens are overwhelmingly concentrated in suburbs and some urban neighbourhoods (although many of the low deprivation Home Counties areas would probably be considered at least exurban in the US, the relative point within the two countries still stands).

This point is something I do realize but I still find somewhat striking because here in Italy wealth is overwhelmingly just urban - there are a number of exceptions of course, but suburbs as a default are normally poorer than the city they gravitate around, let alone proper rural areas.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 03:21:32 PM »

I don't have much to add on the topic of 'bad comparisons' if not that I would like to remind everyone that United States congressional districts are on average more than seven times larger than United Kingdom parliamentary constituencies.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies