Mapping UK constituencies by social deprivation (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:33:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Mapping UK constituencies by social deprivation (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mapping UK constituencies by social deprivation  (Read 3635 times)
LabourJersey
United States

« on: May 10, 2021, 07:29:13 PM »

Yesterday I saw the following amazing Twitter thread, and today since I was bored I decided to translate that chart into maps.

EDIT: Thanks to you all for your compliments and recommendations.

Looking over the most deprived constituencies I'm pretty shocked that the Tories managed to win a seat in Blackpool (!)
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 03:17:09 PM »

Yesterday I saw the following amazing Twitter thread, and today since I was bored I decided to translate that chart into maps.

EDIT: Thanks to you all for your compliments and recommendations.

Looking over the most deprived constituencies I'm pretty shocked that the Tories managed to win a seat in Blackpool (!)

They've got two as a matter of fact. Blackpool has always been a place where the Tories have overperformed the demographics (though it wasn't always as deprived as it is now). The 1997 Labour landslide was actually the first time in its history that it had Labour representation at Westminster, it was always Tory before that (aside from a brief Liberal victory in 1923). Blackpool North (& Cleverleys) flipped back in 2010, helped by favourable boundary changes, which removed the (then) very reliably Labour town of Fleetwood. They didn't regain Blackpool South until 2019 but even in elections such as 2010 and 2015 it was still only marginally Labour despite its deprivation levels and the metropolitan Cameron being an atrocious fit for the area.

Seaside resorts in general have traditionally been Tory, going back to the Victorian era.

Interesting to know. My perception of Blackpool was that it was a distinctly working class seaside resort compared to the southern towns, more so than, like, Atlantic City which I guess was similar but attracted both the rich and poor in comparable numbers. So I guess I figured its status as a working class location would translate to politics
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies