MA-SEN 2024 Megathread: Still, She Persists (Pg. 1 - Warren running for re-election)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:48:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-SEN 2024 Megathread: Still, She Persists (Pg. 1 - Warren running for re-election)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: MA-SEN 2024 Megathread: Still, She Persists (Pg. 1 - Warren running for re-election)  (Read 1779 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2021, 07:31:43 PM »

Sorry (not sorry), BRTD:

They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 07:57:32 PM »

ENDORSED
Lognog
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 08:06:26 PM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 08:49:10 PM »

She said on MSNBC that she expects the D's win big next yr, and win wave insurence seats she expects a robust Recovery and D's winning Trifecta and breaking the Filibuster, so it's not a surprise, she doesn't expect to be in minority

Neutral cycle, who said it was gonna be one and we haven't a full recovery and the Election is in 500 days
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 09:27:13 PM »

Sorry (not sorry), BRTD:

Not especially surprising, though I suppose Pressley will have to wait until 2026 for a Senate seat.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 09:29:43 PM »

Tossup with Barker.
randomusername

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 09:30:43 PM »

If Feinstein can still be around, why not Warren who actually contributes.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 10:59:50 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2021, 12:45:57 AM by brucejoel99 »

Eh, not exactly a fair equivalence: Warren suffers from no evident health issues, & serving a 3rd term would - in the event that she doesn't then seek a 4th term - see her leave office at only 81, compared to Feinstein, who's actually exhibiting signs of dementia, sought a 6th term at 85, & may very well seek a 7th at 91, if the existence of her 2024 campaign account is to be believed.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 11:08:46 PM »

Eh, not exactly a fair equivalence: Warren suffers from no evident health issues, & serving a 3rd term would - in the event that she doesn't then seek a 4th term - leave office at only 81, compared to Feinstein, who's actually exhibiting signs of dementia, sought a 6th term at 85, & may very well seek a 7th at 91, if the existence of her 2024 campaign account is to be believed.
While there is an argument to be made here, I would push back against the idea that there is some kind of maximum age past which one cannot be an good and/or effective Senator. Just look at Robert Byrd - he served the state from when he was 41 all the way until his death at age 91.
There is some value for seniority also - especially so for a state like California. If you have just as many members as Wyoming despite having a much, much bigger population, then it is important to have long-serving people in high places in the chamber.
One doesn't have to vote Feinstein, and I actually favored Kevin de Leon back in 2018, but it's important to note some of the valuable things for the state of CA that it has attained on basis of having Boxer (since retired) and Feinstein. And that a rational voter can value that long-term incumbency.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2021, 11:09:57 PM »

Eh, not exactly a fair equivalence: Warren suffers from no evident health issues, & serving a 3rd term would - in the event that she doesn't then seek a 4th term - leave office at only 81, compared to Feinstein, who's actually exhibiting signs of dementia, sought a 6th term at 85, & may very well seek a 7th at 91, if the existence of her 2024 campaign account is to be believed.

Actually, Katie Porter was a student of Warren in Bankruptcy Law, hopefully, Feinstein retires and Porter takes her seat
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2021, 11:31:14 PM »

While there is an argument to be made here, I would push back against the idea that there is some kind of maximum age past which one cannot be an good and/or effective Senator. Just look at Robert Byrd - he served the state from when he was 41 all the way until his death at age 91.
There is some value for seniority also - especially so for a state like California. If you have just as many members as Wyoming despite having a much, much bigger population, then it is important to have long-serving people in high places in the chamber.
One doesn't have to vote Feinstein, and I actually favored Kevin de Leon back in 2018, but it's important to note some of the valuable things for the state of CA that it has attained on basis of having Boxer (since retired) and Feinstein. And that a rational voter can value that long-term incumbency.

Oh, I completely agree! (Trust me, I had to push back on the "Biden too old" card from my friends plenty of times myself, which was always weird because they were pushing it while simultaneously supporting a guy who was a year older & literally suffered a heart attack on the campaign trail, but I digress.) I was merely just pointing out why attempting to illustrate the hitherto aforementioned equivalence between Warren & Feinstein is - in & of itself - a bit flawed.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 11:34:46 PM »

I would still welcome a primary challenger against her from the left, since her 2020 presidential campaign shows that she isn’t actually principled about her beliefs (and I would prefer someone as principled as Sanders).
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2021, 12:48:49 AM »

I would still welcome a primary challenger against her from the left, since her 2020 presidential campaign shows that she isn’t actually principled about her beliefs (and I would prefer someone as principled as Sanders).

That's insane. She's one of the most progressive Senators, why should anyone waste their money and resources challenging her?
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2021, 01:12:20 AM »

I wouldn't question her ideological credentials. I do think she genuinely believes in the ideas she's espoused, but was more willing to put her own chances for victory over the general cause's. What was more alarming was her endorsement of the Bernie Bro crap, which was very obviously a smear campaign that was used in bad faith to attack progressives and had life well past Bernie's presidential ambitions.

Regardless, she has my endorsement. Most of her left-wing challengers would be hyper-Online lunatics.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2021, 08:41:52 AM »

Not in a presidential year, it isn't, unless 2024 is 1980.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2021, 08:44:23 AM »

Joe Kennedy would be a much better candidate
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2021, 09:38:39 AM »

The polarization in this country is asymmetric. That's why Bullock couldn't come close to Daines, but Sununu is going to bury Hassan.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2021, 09:41:30 AM »

The polarization in this country is asymmetric. That's why Bullock couldn't come close to Daines, but Sununu is going to bury Hassan.

Senators Mike Sullivan and Bill Weld agree.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2021, 10:31:28 AM »

Wonder if Brie Brie will challenge her - that's a primary that would break twitter.

In any case, nothing to see here. Safe Warren in the primary and the general. Odd that the Politico article frames this as "surprising"; I think it would be a lot more surprising if she weren't running again.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2021, 10:34:33 AM »

Warren is absolutely safe for re-election, and the fact that she wasn’t nearly as left-wing of a candidate as Sanders doesn’t change the fact that she’s been a solid progressive Senator who I’ll be happy to see spending more time in the Senate.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2021, 10:56:16 AM »

Great job my fellow Bay Staters. Now we wait till 2026..... disgusting.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2021, 10:56:27 AM »

You’re HIGH with this statement.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2021, 10:59:15 AM »

I think that was sarcasm.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2021, 11:00:24 AM »

In any case, nothing to see here. Safe Warren in the primary and the general. Odd that the Politico article frames this as "surprising"; I think it would be a lot more surprising if she weren't running again.

I think it's just a combination of the facts - as the article portends - that she's been spending the last 2 years trying to get out of the Senate (e.g., campaigning for President, & then trying to be Biden's VP & then Treasury Secretary) & that "insiders" were of a general belief for some reason that she was keen on having Pressley succeed her in the seat.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2021, 12:33:15 PM »

Hopefully Joe Kennedy III tries to get himself a Senate seat again and succeeds this time.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies