FT 19.15 Rape Kit Processing Act (Statute) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:39:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 19.15 Rape Kit Processing Act (Statute) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 19.15 Rape Kit Processing Act (Statute)  (Read 425 times)
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« on: May 07, 2021, 09:23:56 PM »

Thank you, Madam Speaker. I will post advocacy for this bill tomorrow
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 09:53:32 PM »

Thank you, Madam Speaker, and my fellow MPs.

The backlog of untested rape kits is a serious problem in our law enforcement system. According to End the Backlog, forensic examinations from sexual assaults remain untested by the thousands across dozens of states, including at least seven in Frémont alone. Each untested kit may contain the DNA of a sexual predator. Each kit may represent a victim denied justice, and a rapist allowed to walk free.

My bill establishes clear, achievable mandates for local law enforcement agencies to send rape kits to labs for testing. It also ensures that all victims are offered the chance to use a rape kit, and that there are serious consequences for police departments that don't clear their backlogs by the end of the year. By changing how Frémont investigates sexual assaults, we can ensure justice for victims and accountability for perpetrators.

I look forward to hearing my colleagues' feedback on this proposal. I intended the bill to be an unfunded mandate, but I'm open to adding temporary funding for backlog clearing on a kit-by-kit basis. Thank you.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 02:47:12 AM »

I’ll research this more in the next couple days, but here are some ideas (spitballing)
 - Straight up money to Frémont DOJ to hire more forensic technicians and set up more labs
 - Some kind of rebate program for private labs that let backlogged kits leapfrog the queue
 - I do want some kind of remedy for situations where police departments are incompent or just unwilling to test the kit for some reason, but I’m open to ideas for that besides a fine
 - I’m not 100% sure what the police situation is like in Frémont, and I need to go back through the statute on the wiki. That said, I wonder if maybe to address Siren’s concerns we could have one of the civilian oversight entities we’ve set up appoint some kind of sexual assault ombudsmen. They could refer victims to counselors and make sure the process doesn’t get derailed by administrative screwups/malicious behavior by cops.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 02:56:44 AM »

Aye!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies