LGC 1.5 - Amendment to L.C. 10.11 - TABLED
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:01:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LGC 1.5 - Amendment to L.C. 10.11 - TABLED
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LGC 1.5 - Amendment to L.C. 10.11 - TABLED  (Read 603 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2021, 10:01:40 PM »
« edited: May 11, 2021, 10:30:37 PM by Lincoln Speaker Dwarven Dragon »

1. Title 6, Section 7 of the Consolidated Omnibus Laws of Lincoln Act is hereby amended as follows:

Section 7. Abortion services

(a) In general. —

A licensed or certified health care practitioner acting within his or her lawful scope of practice may perform an abortion when, according to the practitioner's reasonable and professional judgement that —
(1) the patient is within twenty-eight twenty weeks from the commencement of pregnancy;
(2) there is an absence of fetal viability; or
(3)(2) the abortion is necessary to protect the patient's life or physical
health.

(b) The Punishment for performing or facilitating an abortion outside of the circumstances prescribed in (a) shall be a prison sentence of at least 6 months, but no more than 3 years, for the doctor, nurse, or other medical practitioner(s) performing or facilitating the illegal abortion. However, nothing within this section shall be construed to allow any punishment of the woman receiving the illegal abortion, nor shall this section permit punishment of anyone employed by the abortion facility as a receptionist, technical assistant, janitor, or any similar position provided they are not present in the room where the abortion is occurring while it is occurring.

2. In the event of an unsuccessful abortion or attempted abortion that results in the live birth of the fetus, defined as the complete expulsion or extraction from his or her mother of that fetus, at any stage of development, who after such expulsion or extraction breathes or has a beating heart, pulsation of the umbilical cord, or definite movement of voluntary muscles, regardless of whether the umbilical cord has been cut, and regardless of whether the expulsion or extraction occurs as a result of natural or induced labor, cesarean section, or induced abortion, the medical practitioners of the abortion facility shall:

1) exercise the same degree of professional skill, care, and diligence to preserve the life and health of the child as a reasonably diligent and conscientious health care practitioner would render to any other child born alive at the same gestational age.

2) Immediately Transport and admit such child to a hospital, except in a case where it is indisputably clear that the abortion facility can provide equivalent care to that provided in a hospital, or where the abortion facility is a hospital.

3) Punishment for violating 1) and/or 2) shall be a prison sentence of at least six months, but not more than five years.

4) 3) Nothing within this legislation shall be construed to allow punishment of the woman on whom the unsuccessful abortion or attempted abortion was performed.

5) The woman receiving the unsuccessful abortion or attempted abortion shall be able to bring a civil suit against any health care practitioners who violate 1) or 2).

6) Nothing within this legislation shall prevent prosecution under Lincoln or Federal Law for Murder, in the case of an overt act by a medical practitioner to intentionally kill the child. This clause shall not imply that accidental medical malpractice is legally equivalent to Murder.

3. This law shall take effect 60 days after passage.

Sponsor: S019
Court Sponsor: CraneHusband
Occupying: Slot 5 of 14

Sponsor, please advocate for your bill.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 10:31:12 PM »

The last council voted to restrict reproductive healthcare and a woman's right to choose. This bill will allow for women to have more control over their healthcare and allow for them to make a choice with their doctor without the government interfering.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 11:00:16 PM »

I strongly oppose this proposal. What was enacted last Council is a modest reform that only strikes down on late term abortion - the majority of abortions remain legal under current law. What is proposed here would bring back all the loopholes of old, which can be exploited to literally allow elective abortion in the 9th month. Just because such elective abortions are rare does not mean they should be made legal.

Further, the region voted on whether to enact LC 10.11, and they overwhelmingly voted in favor. It even got Laborite support. Therefore to enact this proposal would be an affront to the will of the very people we represent.

I strongly urge a No.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 11:37:14 PM »

I thought this Lincoln government was supposed to be the first to be free of salt in a long time.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 11:48:28 PM »

I strongly oppose this proposal. What was enacted last Council is a modest reform that only strikes down on late term abortion - the majority of abortions remain legal under current law. What is proposed here would bring back all the loopholes of old, which can be exploited to literally allow elective abortion in the 9th month. Just because such elective abortions are rare does not mean they should be made legal.

Further, the region voted on whether to enact LC 10.11, and they overwhelmingly voted in favor. It even got Laborite support. Therefore to enact this proposal would be an affront to the will of the very people we represent.

I strongly urge a No.

I see no issue with a woman and her doctor making that decisions, I'm sure if the doctor thinks an abortion shouldn't happen, he/she'd share their opinion

I thought this Lincoln government was supposed to be the first to be free of salt in a long time.
cool story
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 11:53:46 PM »

I strongly urge a No.

I see no issue with a woman and her doctor making that decisions, I'm sure if the doctor thinks an abortion shouldn't happen, he/she'd share their opinion

cool story
The doctor in the house says all abortions must not happen.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 12:07:55 AM »

Member when this game or at least this region wasn’t edgy culture war nonsense?
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 12:09:41 AM »

When was that? I've been around for nearly 4 years.  Tongue
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 12:57:18 AM »

I understand there's a combination of Supreme Court Precedent and Gentlemen's Agreements that have prevented abortion from being a topic of debate federally, but in the regions its always been a topic. I remember several past debates on it over the years in both Lincoln and the South. (I cannot speak for Fremont as I do not associate with that region for certain well-documented reasons and never actively served in its legislative body)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 08:25:09 PM »

I'm just going to note regardless of your views on abortion, sending women and/or doctors to jail for seeking abortions is just wrong, this bill as written is simply way too extreme.

Also there's a strong misunderstanding about abortion in this country in general, here's a useful Vox video which provides some great information on the issue and clears up common misconceptions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCLQREWIwyA

I am happy to provide more sources if needed
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 08:29:04 PM »

Without punishment, any restriction becomes meaningless.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 08:54:02 PM »

Without punishment, any restriction becomes meaningless.

I really don't think punishing doctors for providing reproductive healthcare is necessary.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2021, 10:09:33 PM »

Well that was a long 72 hours.

Pursuant to Section 2F of the SOAP, I move to table this legislation.

The Question is "Shall the bill be removed from the floor?"

AYE
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2021, 10:13:17 PM »

Aye
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2021, 08:54:10 AM »

Aye
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2021, 10:31:45 PM »

On a vote of 3-0, with 4 not voting, the simple majority threshold has been achieved, and the legislation has been removed from the floor.

ALL HAIL UNBORN LIFE!
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2021, 10:37:04 PM »

This is disappointing... Also I still don't understand why this tabled to begin with, but I digress.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2021, 10:38:53 PM »

This is disappointing... Also I still don't understand why this tabled to begin with, but I digress.

The speaker may move to table at any point after the initial 72 hours. The check is that he can be overridden by a simple majority. I believe this debate is over and the region backs my position. Why your members did not show up to vote is a question that only they can answer.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2021, 01:58:23 AM »

Seems strange that 3/7 is now a majority in Lincoln (another thing the region apparently can't do - math) but I (mostly) trust Speaker Wulfric not to use his position to play partisan games lol
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2021, 02:27:03 AM »

Seems strange that 3/7 is now a majority in Lincoln (another thing the region apparently can't do - math) but I (mostly) trust Speaker Wulfric not to use his position to play partisan games lol

The rules clearly state that a tabling votes are based on a simple majority.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2021, 06:58:03 AM »

Yes a simple majority, to me, this means a simple majority of all sitting councilors not all present ones, though that should probably be clarified
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2021, 10:14:15 AM »

Yes a simple majority, to me, this means a simple majority of all sitting councilors not all present ones, though that should probably be clarified

That would be an absolute majority which the rules do not require here.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies