US Births fall 4% in 2020 Down 142,000 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:09:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  US Births fall 4% in 2020 Down 142,000 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US Births fall 4% in 2020 Down 142,000  (Read 895 times)
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« on: May 05, 2021, 02:36:00 AM »

I'm surprised that the young people who grew up around economic recessions (including one right now), record student loan debt, a lack of affordable housing, school-shooting drills, a global pandemic, a rapidly-declining environment and (at least in 2020) President Trump wouldn't have the funds or faith to have as many children as previous generations.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 05:56:27 PM »

I’m guessing this is why about 10-15 states are trying to make abortion a crime. /n(naive)

Please don't tell me that's a new internet thing ala the sarcasm tag /w (worried)
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 06:00:40 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2021, 06:06:30 PM by Monstro Doesn't Say Anything Interesting »

I'm surprised that the young people who grew up around economic recessions (including one right now), record student loan debt, a lack of affordable housing, school-shooting drills, a global pandemic, a rapidly-declining environment and (at least in 2020) President Trump wouldn't have the funds or faith to have as many children as previous generations.

I agree with some of the economic factors as well as Covid but I doubt school shooters play a big risk into decisions on whether to have kids or not. Murder rates were far higher 50-30 years ago.

I mentioned it less as an indictment of violent crime currently and more an indictment of the current school system.

Between that, the prevalence of social media & cyber bullying and the rise in youth suicide/depression (All of which was nowhere near what it was a decade ago when I graduated), I can't imagine being a hormonal middle/high schooler today.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 02:39:21 AM »

School debt doesn’t make much sense as a factor. Europe also cratered. In fact, countries with more generous social nets seem to suffer more in this regard.

Not as a singular factor. Just one out of many
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies