McConnell: "100% of my focus is on stopping this new administration..."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:42:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  McConnell: "100% of my focus is on stopping this new administration..."
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: McConnell: "100% of my focus is on stopping this new administration..."  (Read 2560 times)
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2021, 06:55:01 AM »

This isn't a constructive way to behave, but it's hardly like Democrats played ball with Mr Trump.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2021, 09:45:57 AM »

This isn't a constructive way to behave, but it's hardly like Democrats played ball with Mr Trump.

Are you seriously arguing there is no difference between Donald Trump and Joe Biden?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2021, 09:46:37 AM »

Joe Manchin has offered his opinion on this, let's just say it's less than ideal:

Manchin has the mindset of a 90s politicians who thinks it's still the good old days with bipartisanship. He doesn't realize times have changed and McTurtle just spoke out the obvious. They never had any intension to govern as long as there's a Dem prez.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2021, 09:56:24 AM »

Joe Manchin has offered his opinion on this, let's just say it's less than ideal:

Manchin has the mindset of a 90s politicians who thinks it's still the good old days with bipartisanship. He doesn't realize times have changed and McTurtle just spoke out the obvious. They never had any intension to govern as long as there's a Dem prez.
Don't you think Manchin knows this but plays this bipartisan role for the camera
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2021, 10:01:44 AM »

Don't you think Manchin knows this but plays this bipartisan role for the camera

Also, what Manchin said is literally true. There are Republicans who are currently negotiating with Democrats in the Senate on a range of legislation.  What Manchin does becomes an issue if/when the Republicans demonstrate they are negotiating in bad faith.

So, I'd say this criticism of Manchin is premature.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2021, 10:01:57 AM »

In part yes, but it's more than show because he opposes repealing the filibuster. I don't think anyone in WV cares about the filibuster, but a lot of them would welcome a raise by increasing the minimum wage. Same with Sinema. In the end, it doesn't matter if we can't pass good legislation.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2021, 10:17:33 AM »

If D's achieve the Trifecta again, after 2022, they may have the same problem, if Covid is still around it's looking more and more like a D plus 2 Election and wind up with a 51/49 Senate and Sinema might be the workaround agent of change instead of Manchin, then what are Ds gonna do then

In a Covid Environment, it's not gonna be a D plus 8 2018 Environment, it's gonna be a Neutral Environment, obviously the 60 percent polls are wrong
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2021, 10:19:08 AM »

Are you seriously arguing there is no difference between Donald Trump and Joe Biden?

No, I am not; I am merely pointing out that the opposition refusing to co-operate with the government is not some wicked, unhinged idea which only fanatical Republicans would ever consider.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2021, 10:21:47 AM »

In part yes, but it's more than show because he opposes repealing the filibuster. I don't think anyone in WV cares about the filibuster, but a lot of them would welcome a raise by increasing the minimum wage. Same with Sinema. In the end, it doesn't matter if we can't pass good legislation.

this^

The average voter probably doesn't even know what the filibuster is, and to the extent they might support the idea of it, it's only to stop legislation they don't like. That's why it is untenable for Democrats to try and excuse their lack of movement on major issues like voting rights and healthcare as merely being victims of the filibuster. Voters don't care about that. They just want results and for things to get better for the country and themselves. Trying to justify inaction because of some opaque procedural tool (that the Senate majority in fact can end at any time) is silly and meaningless.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2021, 10:36:32 AM »
« Edited: May 06, 2021, 10:39:34 AM by Frank »

No, I am not; I am merely pointing out that the opposition refusing to co-operate with the government is not some wicked, unhinged idea which only fanatical Republicans would ever consider.

1.As I said earlier, the Republicans both want to be the opposition, but, through the filibuster, they also have the power to block government legislation, a situation which doesn't exist anywhere else in the world, as far as I know.  And, at the same time, in defending the use of the filibuster, McConnell claims that Biden needs to be 'bipartisan' which is not how a government/opposition system works, or is designed to work.

McConnell claims to be both the leader of the opposition at the same time as he claims to be a co-leader in the government.

2.Donald Trump/The Trump Administration had very little legislation to speak of, which is why your comparison between Trump and Biden is so absurd.  There was very little for the Democrats to even attempt to work with. However, on things like criminal justice reform, when the Trump Administration actually did produce viable legislation, the Democrats showed a willingness to work with Trump and legislation was passed.

Donald Trump was simply not a 'normal' President.  He is a psychopathic grifter who had little interest in governing and even less interest in legislating.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2021, 10:48:20 AM »

1.As I said earlier, the Republicans both want to be the opposition, but, through the filibuster, they also have the power to block government legislation, a situation which doesn't exist anywhere else in the world, as far as I know.  And, at the same time, in defending the use of the filibuster, McConnell claims that Biden needs to be 'bipartisan' which is not how a government/opposition system works, or is designed to work.

McConnell claims to be both the leader of the opposition at the same time as he claims to be a co-leader in the government.

2.Donald Trump/The Trump Administration had very little legislation to speak of, which is why your comparison between Trump and Biden is so absurd.  There was very little for the Democrats to even attempt to work with. However, on things like criminal justice reform, when the Trump Administration actually did produce viable legislation, the Democrats showed a willingness to work with Trump and legislation was passed.

Donald Trump was simply not a 'normal' President.  He is a psychopathic grifter who had little interest in governing and even less interest in legislating.

Well I don't disagree with your comments about either Donald Trump or Mitch McConnell. The filibuster should go, or the senators should have to speak the entire time they are filibustering. My point is one you mentioned: the purpose of the opposition is not to make government work; it is to hold it to account and provide an alternative to voters. Now, in a healthy democracy, which America, it is hard to deny, is not, there is overlap between the parties so the system works a little better.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2021, 12:13:06 PM »

I normally would, but all of his behavior suggests he really believes this crap.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2021, 12:15:24 PM »

Dems helped Trump with: the partial repeal of Dodd Frank, increased military spending, Criminal Justice Reform, USMCA, and the COVID Relief bills. They did more to help Trump in 4 years than repubs did to Obama in 8 years.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2021, 01:51:28 PM »

That's exactly why Manchin and Sinema should support DC statehood, even if we ignore the justified case for DC residents to be properly represented in congress. Two additional Democratic senators would give them cover to vote with Republicans on certain issues without derailing the Democratic agenda.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies