Federal judge orders release of 2019 DoJ memo supporting Barr's decision not to prosecute Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:08:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Federal judge orders release of 2019 DoJ memo supporting Barr's decision not to prosecute Trump
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Federal judge orders release of 2019 DoJ memo supporting Barr's decision not to prosecute Trump  (Read 286 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2021, 06:28:16 PM »

I doubt there'll be anything in there that we don't already know or at least suspect, but it'll be an interesting case in how much Biden's DoJ is willing to kowtow to the precedent set by the Trump DoJ. I suspect not much.

From Politico: Judge orders release of DOJ memo justifying not prosecuting Trump

A federal judge has ordered the release of a key Justice Department memo supporting former Attorney William Barr’s conclusion that former President Donald Trump should not be prosecuted for obstruction of justice over episodes investigated by special counsel Robert Mueller.

U.S. District Court Judge Amy Berman Jackson issued that ruling in a withering opinion that accused Barr of being “disingenuous” when describing Mueller’s findings and found that the Justice Department was not candid with the court about the purpose and role of the 2019 memo prepared by Justice’s Office of Legal Counsel.

In response to a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit, Justice Department attorneys argued that the memo was part of the process of advising Barr on whether Trump should be prosecuted, but Jackson said the analysis consisted of a post hoc rationalization of a decision already made.

While it is unclear if it influenced her ruling, Jackson had a close-up view of one of the biggest firestorms of Barr's tenure as attorney general: his decision to overrule front-line prosecutors and effectively withdraw their recommendation of a seven-to-nine year sentence for President Donald Trump's longtime adviser Roger Stone on charges of lying to Congress and witness tampering. Jackson — who was the judge in Stone's trial — wasn't openly critical of Barr's move, but made clear in court that she believed it deviated from the administration's stated policy on sentencing matters.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 07:08:07 PM »

Hasn't the memo precluding the DOJ from indicting an incumbent President been official DOJ policy since the Nixon era, or did Barr literally go so far as to prepare a new memo that had the same exact effect as before just for funsies?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 07:12:36 PM »

If McCarthy becomes Speaker it wil be Hunter Biden probe all over again and Harris possible nomination for Prez in 2024

We all know Pelosi has protected Hunter Biden that's why the Rs didn't Convict Trump due to Hunter Biden, I live in Cali, I know

Who cares about Trump where Guiliani had said it's about HUNTER

A divided Congress RH and DS looks probable in 2022( if Covid isn't Eradicated
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 07:23:26 PM »

If McCarthy becomes Speaker it wil be Hunter Biden probe all over again and Harris possible nomination for Prez in 2024

We all know Pelosi has protected Hunter Biden that's why the Rs didn't Convict Trump due to Hunter Biden, I live in Cali, I know

Who cares about Trump where Guiliani had said it's about HUNTER

A divided Congress RH and DS looks probable in 2022( if Covid isn't Eradicated

Reset your algorithm.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies