Would you be open to this proposal? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:10:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Would you be open to this proposal? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: DC isn’t admitted as a state, and holds its current status as a special territory, but it’s given 1 senator and 1 member of the House of Representatives.
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Would you be open to this proposal?  (Read 1339 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« on: May 04, 2021, 12:41:55 PM »
« edited: May 04, 2021, 01:02:44 PM by Peak Harry »

No, those Americans deserve full representation like all others.

No? It doesn't make any sense to begin with. Why does it get 1 senator instead of 2?

Because the Capitol district should not as much leveraging power as any other state.

There is so such thing as "leveraging power" in this context in the modern world. Do Virginia and Maryland have this "leveraging power" today despite being as close to the seat of government as the hypothetical state of Washington, Douglass Commonwealth would be?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 01:27:11 PM »

No? It doesn't make any sense to begin with. Why does it get 1 senator instead of 2?

Because the Capitol district should not as much leveraging power as any other state.
Why

Because they may use it to benefit the federal government at the expense of the states.
How

Through legislating in a way that slants benefit to D.C.

I'm going to need a tangible and realistic example, along with an explanation of how Virginia, Maryland, or anyone else can't already do that.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 03:27:19 PM »

Are there any other countries where the capital city has less representational power than the other (main) constituent parts? Ottawa has representation, as does London, Canberra, Wellington, Berlin, and Paris among others.

Australia has reduced (but not 0) representation for Canberra. Every other developed country has full representation for its capital. We are alone on this injustice.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 04:34:23 PM »

I'm going to need a tangible and realistic example, along with an explanation of how Virginia, Maryland, or anyone else can't already do that.

Notice he still won't answer the question, even though his "there are too many federal government employees in DC for it to be a state" ignores the fact that many of them live in Maryland and Virginia, and those get to be states without whatever terrible consequences he envisions.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 06:38:08 PM »

So you think that working for the federal government should be grounds for your disenfranchisement?

Also, the idea that 2 senators from DC (in a body of 102 senators) could unilaterally enact some sort of anti-state government or pro-executive branch agenda is absurd for obvious reasons.

Wrong.

Can you tell us how 0.6% of Congress is going to take over the government and destroy the separation of powers?

Mitch McConnell?

With that reasoning, I guess we should’ve just not made Kentucky a state.

That has nothing to do with DC statehood anyway

Can you imagine someone from DC being a Senate Majority Leader, using their power to stomp on the will of states and strengthen the federal government? I can. And it could be disastrous.

The hell are you talking about? What would make a Senator (or potential Majority Leader) from DC more powerful than one from any other state?

The Senate Majority leader is more powerful than other senator. Therefore, a Senate Majority Leader from DC has more power than any other senator.

Well yeah. So does a Senate Majority Leader from Wyoming. There is no point being made here lol

The point is that a SML from DC could very well abuse that power to strength the federal government at the expense of the states.

So could a SML from an existing state. Roll Eyes
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 12:14:48 AM »

The problem of influence that DC could have over the federal government has to do more specifically with it being a state - that is, the federal government relinquishing veto power over any policy that affects (and perhaps impedes) the operation of government in the territory where it is concentrated.

Still waiting on an explicit and realistic example of how they could do that, and also why Virginia and Maryland (which are about as close to the Federal buildings as the state of Washington, Douglass Commonwealth will be and have lots of federal employees living there) can't currently do that same thing.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 12:38:36 PM »

I'd accept this proposal if there was little to no possibility of statehood.

I mean, I guess it would be a start if Manchin were to say he's for this and a hard no on anything else, but I would still support fighting for full representation for those Americans. It wouldn't be case closed.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 02:10:41 PM »

The only plausible "compromise" from a partisan perspective would be to add the part of Virginia that used to be in DC to the new state. It would make Virginia into a swing state.

I am ambivalent toward this idea (which is not something anyone seems to be suggesting anyway). If the people of Arlington want that, and the VA legislature let's them go, I won't object, but if either says no, that shouldn't derail DC statehood.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies