Would you be open to this proposal? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:06:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Would you be open to this proposal? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: DC isn’t admitted as a state, and holds its current status as a special territory, but it’s given 1 senator and 1 member of the House of Representatives.
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Would you be open to this proposal?  (Read 1357 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: May 06, 2021, 09:46:28 AM »

The only plausible "compromise" from a partisan perspective would be to add the part of Virginia that used to be in DC to the new state. It would make Virginia into a swing state.

I am ambivalent toward this idea (which is not something anyone seems to be suggesting anyway). If the people of Arlington want that, and the VA legislature let's them go, I won't object, but if either says no, that shouldn't derail DC statehood.

Arlington and Alexandria haven't been part of DC since the 1840s. That said, it's not an absolutely absurd idea.

However, Alexandria and Arlington rejoining DC would not turn DC into a swing state, not by a long shot. Obama still wins VA in 2012 (though it's actually close in 2012), and Clinton and Obama carry VA pretty solidly. I think the only statewide races in the last DECADE that flip under this new VA are VA Gov 2013 (McAuliffe loses by the skin of his teeth) and VA-Sen 2014 (Warner loses by about a point).

Fun fact: Adding Alexandria and Arlington to DC would raise DC's population to 1,085,815 (combining 2019 Census estimates for Alexandria and Arlington with 2020 Census actual for DC because we don't have County level exact numbers from 2020 census yet). This is a tiny smidge greater than Montana!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies