Would you be open to this proposal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:21:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Would you be open to this proposal?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: DC isn’t admitted as a state, and holds its current status as a special territory, but it’s given 1 senator and 1 member of the House of Representatives.
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Would you be open to this proposal?  (Read 1337 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2021, 11:19:04 PM »

The problem of influence that DC could have over the federal government has to do more specifically with it being a state - that is, the federal government relinquishing veto power over any policy that affects (and perhaps impedes) the operation of government in the territory where it is concentrated.  Representation in the legislature doesn't pose that same problem, I don't think.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2021, 12:14:48 AM »

The problem of influence that DC could have over the federal government has to do more specifically with it being a state - that is, the federal government relinquishing veto power over any policy that affects (and perhaps impedes) the operation of government in the territory where it is concentrated.

Still waiting on an explicit and realistic example of how they could do that, and also why Virginia and Maryland (which are about as close to the Federal buildings as the state of Washington, Douglass Commonwealth will be and have lots of federal employees living there) can't currently do that same thing.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2021, 12:21:24 AM »

I'd accept this proposal if there was little to no possibility of statehood.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2021, 12:38:36 PM »

I'd accept this proposal if there was little to no possibility of statehood.

I mean, I guess it would be a start if Manchin were to say he's for this and a hard no on anything else, but I would still support fighting for full representation for those Americans. It wouldn't be case closed.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2021, 12:51:00 PM »

No.  The residents of DC should have full Senatorial representation like other Americans.  They aren't half-people.

Of course, the Senate isn't the most democratic institution, but if every state gets two senators, then every person living in a state is technically represented by two senators (though it's a lot better in small states).

Personally, I think making DC as part of Maryland is a good idea, as it would give the people proper representation.  I just support statehood because it seems like the only option other than the status quo that people are pushing for.  The status quo is unacceptable.  It's taxation without representation, and the people of DC are forced to host all the sleazy members of Congress the states send, but it doesn't get its own members of Congress!

Anyway, giving the district just one senator makes no sense, and wouldn't please anyone.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2021, 01:17:58 PM »

Personally, I think making DC as part of Maryland is a good idea, as it would give the people proper representation

This is a smarter way for Republicans to oppose DC statehood as it would preserve the white and rural skew of the Senate, which is all everyone in the debate cares about.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2021, 02:10:41 PM »

The only plausible "compromise" from a partisan perspective would be to add the part of Virginia that used to be in DC to the new state. It would make Virginia into a swing state.

I am ambivalent toward this idea (which is not something anyone seems to be suggesting anyway). If the people of Arlington want that, and the VA legislature let's them go, I won't object, but if either says no, that shouldn't derail DC statehood.
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2021, 09:00:36 AM »

No. DC should not be a state. It’s a city and a federal district.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2021, 09:46:28 AM »

The only plausible "compromise" from a partisan perspective would be to add the part of Virginia that used to be in DC to the new state. It would make Virginia into a swing state.

I am ambivalent toward this idea (which is not something anyone seems to be suggesting anyway). If the people of Arlington want that, and the VA legislature let's them go, I won't object, but if either says no, that shouldn't derail DC statehood.

Arlington and Alexandria haven't been part of DC since the 1840s. That said, it's not an absolutely absurd idea.

However, Alexandria and Arlington rejoining DC would not turn DC into a swing state, not by a long shot. Obama still wins VA in 2012 (though it's actually close in 2012), and Clinton and Obama carry VA pretty solidly. I think the only statewide races in the last DECADE that flip under this new VA are VA Gov 2013 (McAuliffe loses by the skin of his teeth) and VA-Sen 2014 (Warner loses by about a point).

Fun fact: Adding Alexandria and Arlington to DC would raise DC's population to 1,085,815 (combining 2019 Census estimates for Alexandria and Arlington with 2020 Census actual for DC because we don't have County level exact numbers from 2020 census yet). This is a tiny smidge greater than Montana!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies