Would you be open to this proposal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:12:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Would you be open to this proposal?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: DC isn’t admitted as a state, and holds its current status as a special territory, but it’s given 1 senator and 1 member of the House of Representatives.
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Would you be open to this proposal?  (Read 1358 times)
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2021, 03:19:02 PM »

No? It doesn't make any sense to begin with. Why does it get 1 senator instead of 2?

Because the Capitol district should not as much leveraging power as any other state.
Why

Because they may use it to benefit the federal government at the expense of the states.
How

Through legislating in a way that slants benefit to D.C.

Whaaaat I can’t believe that DC’s congressmen would try to get the best for DC! So unfair, if only other states could do the same

The difference is that the federal government may use this in an attempt to strengthen their hold over the states.

But how? Can you explain any of your thoughts?

Isn’t the whole point of DC statehood to give DC the power to influence national affairs?
It's to give DC the power the same influence over national affairs that other states do.

Which is a bad decision for reasons I’ve already stated.

You haven't given any reasons, just a bunch of buzzwords with no explanation as to what they'd actually mean in practice or what aspect of DC statehood would make them true

It gives the Federal government more power over our legislative bodies, directly contradicting the separation of powers between the Executive and legislative branch.

this makes zero sense unless you think the president and federal politicians are the only ones who live in DC?

Those involved with the executive branch in one way or another make up far too high % of those in DC for me to involved with its Statehood.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2021, 03:22:00 PM »

No? It doesn't make any sense to begin with. Why does it get 1 senator instead of 2?

Because the Capitol district should not as much leveraging power as any other state.
Why

Because they may use it to benefit the federal government at the expense of the states.
How

Whaaaat I can’t believe that DC’s congressmen would try to get the best for DC! So unfair, if only other states could do the same

The difference is that the federal government may use this in an attempt to strengthen their hold over the states.

Isn’t the whole point of DC statehood to give DC the power to influence national affairs?
It's to give DC the power the same influence over national affairs that other states do.

You haven't given any reasons, just a bunch of buzzwords with no explanation as to what they'd actually mean in practice or what aspect of DC statehood would make them true

It gives the Federal government more power over our legislative bodies, directly contradicting the separation of powers between the Executive and legislative branch.

this makes zero sense unless you think the president and federal politicians are the only ones who live in DC?

Those involved with the executive branch in one way or another make up far too high % of those in DC for me to involved with its Statehood.

So you think that working for the federal government should be grounds for your disenfranchisement?

Also, the idea that 2 senators from DC (in a body of 102 senators) could unilaterally enact some sort of anti-state government or pro-executive branch agenda is absurd for obvious reasons.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2021, 03:25:13 PM »

Why

How

So you think that working for the federal government should be grounds for your disenfranchisement?

Also, the idea that 2 senators from DC (in a body of 102 senators) could unilaterally enact some sort of anti-state government or pro-executive branch agenda is absurd for obvious reasons.

Wrong.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2021, 03:26:43 PM »

Why

How

In 2017 only 141,367 people (around 20% of the total population) were employed by the federal government in any capacity in DC. A higher number live in the suburbs of Maryland or across the river in Virginia.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2021, 03:27:19 PM »

Are there any other countries where the capital city has less representational power than the other (main) constituent parts? Ottawa has representation, as does London, Canberra, Wellington, Berlin, and Paris among others.

Australia has reduced (but not 0) representation for Canberra. Every other developed country has full representation for its capital. We are alone on this injustice.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2021, 03:28:25 PM »

Why

How

In 2017 only 141,367 people (around 20% of the total population) were employed by the federal government in any capacity in DC. A higher number live in the suburbs of Maryland or across the river in Virginia.

Misleading number.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2021, 03:31:06 PM »

Why

How

Wrong.

Until you explain to the rest of us how that could possibly work, I'm gonna stick with my original assertion.

Not gonna lie, it really can't help but feel like you're trying really hard to work backwards from the conclusion you want and are grasping at straws to justify it.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2021, 03:31:24 PM »

Why

How

Misleading number.
So around 30% of the district is either under 18 or over 65. That leaves us with a working age adult population of about 470,000 (as of 2017) and...30% federal employment. Nowhere close to a majority or enough to enact whatever secret statist agenda you think is in the works.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2021, 03:31:31 PM »

Wrong.

Can you tell us how 0.6% of Congress is going to take over the government and destroy the separation of powers?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2021, 03:46:02 PM »

Wrong.

Can you tell us how 0.6% of Congress is going to take over the government and destroy the separation of powers?

Mitch McConnell?
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2021, 03:50:52 PM »

Here's a compromise: Republican states get one senator and half the representatives they'd otherwise be entitled to, Democratic states get three senators and twice the representatives they'd otherwise be entitled to. Some of you may die, but it is a sacrifice I am willing to make.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2021, 04:10:42 PM »

Wrong.

Mitch McConnell?

With that reasoning, I guess we should’ve just not made Kentucky a state.

That has nothing to do with DC statehood anyway
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2021, 04:13:12 PM »

Wrong.

Mitch McConnell?

Can you imagine someone from DC being a Senate Majority Leader, using their power to stomp on the will of states and strengthen the federal government? I can. And it could be disastrous.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2021, 04:21:36 PM »

Can you imagine someone from DC being a Senate Majority Leader, using their power to stomp on the will of states and strengthen the federal government? I can. And it could be disastrous.
No more than any other state, why?
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2021, 04:28:28 PM »

Wrong.

Mitch McConnell?

The hell are you talking about? What would make a Senator (or potential Majority Leader) from DC more powerful than one from any other state?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2021, 04:30:34 PM »

Wrong.

Mitch McConnell?

At this point you've gotta be trolling BUT in the case that you're not why the f**k do you think people who live in DC are all power hungry CIA agents? They're normal people. Whoever DC elects to be a senator would be no different than any other Democrat in the senate.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2021, 04:34:23 PM »

I'm going to need a tangible and realistic example, along with an explanation of how Virginia, Maryland, or anyone else can't already do that.

Notice he still won't answer the question, even though his "there are too many federal government employees in DC for it to be a state" ignores the fact that many of them live in Maryland and Virginia, and those get to be states without whatever terrible consequences he envisions.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2021, 05:11:57 PM »

Wrong.

Mitch McConnell?

The hell are you talking about? What would make a Senator (or potential Majority Leader) from DC more powerful than one from any other state?

The Senate Majority leader is more powerful than other senator. Therefore, a Senate Majority Leader from DC has more power than any other senator.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2021, 06:19:09 PM »

Wrong.

Mitch McConnell?

The Senate Majority leader is more powerful than other senator. Therefore, a Senate Majority Leader from DC has more power than any other senator.

Well yeah. So does a Senate Majority Leader from Wyoming. There is no point being made here lol
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2021, 06:36:16 PM »

Wrong.

Mitch McConnell?

Well yeah. So does a Senate Majority Leader from Wyoming. There is no point being made here lol

The point is that a SML from DC could very well abuse that power to strength the federal government at the expense of the states.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2021, 06:38:08 PM »

Wrong.

Mitch McConnell?

The point is that a SML from DC could very well abuse that power to strength the federal government at the expense of the states.

So could a SML from an existing state. Roll Eyes
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2021, 06:38:58 PM »

Wrong.

Mitch McConnell?

Only they would have no motivation to do that, and their constituents would vote them out, unlike the SML from DC.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2021, 06:54:18 PM »

Wrong.

Mitch McConnell?

Only they would have no motivation to do that, and their constituents would vote them out, unlike the SML from DC.

And what would a DC senator’s motivation to strengthen the federal government be? They’re representing the state of DC, not the federal government, just like any other senator.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2021, 07:02:00 PM »

Wrong.

Mitch McConnell?

And what would a DC senator’s motivation to strengthen the federal government be? They’re representing the state of DC, not the federal government, just like any other senator.

DC and the Federal government are so heavily intertwined- and have been for the past 220 years- that I feel like this is rather obvious.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2021, 11:01:21 PM »

Wrong.

Mitch McConnell?

DC and the Federal government are so heavily intertwined- and have been for the past 220 years- that I feel like this is rather obvious.

It's not obvious, it's a moronic argument that you are wasting your time trying to justify.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies