DC statehood opponents, what is the real reason for your opposition?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:11:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  DC statehood opponents, what is the real reason for your opposition?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Two Democratic senators

Any other reason

I support statehood, but can't resist the urge the vote

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: DC statehood opponents, what is the real reason for your opposition?  (Read 710 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2021, 03:36:56 AM »

Hide behind the poll.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 07:40:42 AM »

I still prefer retroceding most of D.C. to Maryland--and while I appreciate that people in the other thread are being honest, #1 is not the "real" reason for my opposition. It would be ... inconsistent with some of my other positions if it were.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 09:52:23 AM »

I still prefer retroceding most of D.C. to Maryland--and while I appreciate that people in the other thread are being honest, #1 is not the "real" reason for my opposition. It would be ... inconsistent with some of my other positions if it were.

Does DC or Maryland want that though?
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 10:45:54 AM »

It's universally known that they don't, but I think focusing too much on public opinion is a bit ... misguided. The public has supported many questionable things throughout the history of this country, and while making D.C. the 51st state is not necessarily a bad thing, I don't trust the public opinion to be always correct.

Realistically though, retrocession is never going to happen; so I suppose D.C. statehood is ultimately better than no D.C. statehood.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 10:55:47 AM »

I hate change and love having exactly 100 Senators. Who would destroy such a beautiful number?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 12:44:12 PM »

Nobody cares what they want. Hey, Loving County wants to be a state! Let's give them statehood and two senators. Who are you to defy the will of the people?
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 03:37:33 PM »

Voted for option 1 because I know the 4 Republicans who voted for option 2 are lying to themselves
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 03:39:47 PM »

Voted for option 1 because I know the 4 Republicans who voted for option 2 are lying to themselves

Only 2 Republicans voted in the poll.

VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 03:42:00 PM »

By “Republican” I mean not only just blue avatars, but anyone who consistently votes for the Republican Party, so plenty of yellow, orange, green, and tan avatars in there too
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 03:44:07 PM »

By “Republican” I mean not only just blue avatars, but anyone who consistently votes for the Republican Party, so plenty of yellow, orange, green, and tan avatars in there too

The vast majority of light green and orange avatars on this site are liberals. And Libertarians on this site don't consistently vote for Republicans either.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 03:44:57 PM »

The vast majority of light green and orange avatars on this site are liberals. And Libertarians on this site don't consistently vote for Republicans either.
From my experience, at least half of the orange and yellow avatars are Republican-leaning
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 07:55:09 PM »

I have always opposed DC statehood.  I know I have a reputation for being a partisan (and I make no apologies for it, especially in this day and age...), but I have always preferred that if the status quo becomes unbearable, DC should be retroceded back to Maryland even if that means we don't get two extra Democratic senators out of the bargain.  Cities should not become states.       
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2021, 08:57:36 PM »

Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 09:45:59 AM »

Because it should remain a city and federal district, not a state
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length