Progressives: Should we let some states secede? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:37:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Progressives: Should we let some states secede? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Progressives: Should we let some states secede?  (Read 1699 times)
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« on: May 03, 2021, 11:36:03 PM »

No. We had an actual war about this which resulted in half a million dead men, hundreds of thousands of more maimed and disabled, and the very existence of the Union threatened by traitors.

I grew up not far from the sacred ground of Cemetery Ridge. George Meade’s Army of the Potomac stopped these conniving traitors dead in their tracks, and set them on the course to defeat and eventual annihilation.

They will be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century. Anything less is an insult to the men who proudly stood strong, and gave their lives, in our darkest hour.
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 11:52:07 AM »

I don't support any sort of right to self-determination. Sometimes a separatist movement would have a good impact, sometimes it wouldn't, each should be judged on its own merits. I have no investment in the continued existence of the United States as it currently stands, although, by coincidence, most possible separatist movements in the United States would be undesirable at the present juncture due to our main opposition party being explicitly fascist. If any red state wanted to secede, that would be a bad thing worth opposing because the regime that would exist there would no doubt be a horrifying apartheid state, but if a majority of say, Hawaii, wanted to secede I see no reason to obstruct their wishes

Compromising the territorial integrity of the United States will only leave the North American continent vulnerable to foreign fascist regimes, ie the present government of the People’s Republic of China, whose existence and legitimating myths are predicated upon the supremacy of a particular racial group. The United States is unlike this, due to its professed adherence to enlightenment ideals, which originally emerged in the context of the European Renaissance.

I would be remiss not to mention that the United States has not always honored its commitments. That said, some people indeed faced apartheid conditions, but this is not a moral indictment against the United States itself, or its founding ideals. Indeed, only through forging a more perfect union, and combating domestic fascist tendencies, can our collective rights and freedoms long endure.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies