Progressives: Should we let some states secede? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:57:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Progressives: Should we let some states secede? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Progressives: Should we let some states secede?  (Read 1636 times)
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« on: May 04, 2021, 09:18:46 AM »

Suppose a constitutional amendment were proposed that would allow a state state to secede from the union if it was supported in a referendum by 60% of the state’s population.

Should progressives support this? 
Well, yes.

Splitting up the US is a BAD idea, but I don't see how you should go against the wishes of 60%+ of the population of a state.

However, there should be a transitional phase where people could move in and out of the US and that state before it took effect. We wouldn't want US citizens suddenly trapped in some hellhole Qanon regressive state with no way out.
That's an incredibly low vote share and I have absolutely no problem overriding it.
Seems a bit arbitrary, what would your preferred threshold be then and why?
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 09:36:22 AM »

Suppose a constitutional amendment were proposed that would allow a state state to secede from the union if it was supported in a referendum by 60% of the state’s population.

Well, yes.

Splitting up the US is a BAD idea, but I don't see how you should go against the wishes of 60%+ of the population of a state.

However, there should be a transitional phase where people could move in and out of the US and that state before it took effect. We wouldn't want US citizens suddenly trapped in some hellhole Qanon regressive state with no way out.
That's an incredibly low vote share and I have absolutely no problem overriding it.
Considering referendums have no democratic legitimacy in the United States, I really don't care what their outcome is at all. That said, if a *monolithic* group of people did want to leave the United States (say, 85%+), I might consider it.
I haven't heard this claim before, do you mind elaborating?
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 10:43:33 AM »

Well, yes.

Considering referendums have no democratic legitimacy in the United States, I really don't care what their outcome is at all. That said, if a *monolithic* group of people did want to leave the United States (say, 85%+), I might consider it.
I haven't heard this claim before, do you mind elaborating?
We don't have a legal procedure by which states can unilaterally secede, which means any ballot measure or whatever by which 50% of a state's voters might vote to leave the United States isn't legitimate and can rightfully be ignored.
Ah gotcha you're speaking in regards to secession referendums specifically. I mistakenly assumed you were talking about all referendums regardless of the content, my bad.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies