Why were southerners particularly violent people back then? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:10:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Why were southerners particularly violent people back then? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why were southerners particularly violent people back then?  (Read 1221 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: May 04, 2021, 11:53:06 PM »

It had nothing to do with a spurious backwards-projected 'honour' culture from the old country and everything to do with the fact that it was a slave society. A slave society (as opposed to a society with slaves) is organised around what amounts to institutionalised brutality and the institutionalised brutalisation of the entirety of that society. Which is also why it is peculiarly violent to-day: note that all of the other post-slavery societies in the New World have the same sad issue.
I’m not entirely sure this is accurate - one thing we seem to know is that police brutality is less bad in the South today than in the rest of America. Now, this could be due to a variety of factors, but I don’t think we can easily identify singular sociological causes.

For example of a different cause: Nathan & I have written previously on here on a sociological “trend” of racism shifting to the upper South, particularly Appalachia, and then increasing in the North & West of the country relative to the South. It seems as though at least part of the reason for this is the larger black population in the South relative to the rest of the country.

While I actually do agree with Al to an extent, in terms of the slave society as that is too often not account for in consideration of relevant matters, I think you have a point on this shift of sorts.

Part of it might be educational attainment as low country Southern whites would be more educated, more liberal in the current times and thus less likely to engage in similar racialized politics that their parents and grandparents did. At the same time immigration and the demographic tension caused by migrant labor has introduced a kind of politics in the current day to the upper South, that was not present in 60s and 70s when upper South areas maintained far better Democratic support then the low country.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies