When and why did the 20th century bad boy aesthetic (with motorcycles, etc) stop being cool?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:26:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  When and why did the 20th century bad boy aesthetic (with motorcycles, etc) stop being cool?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When and why did the 20th century bad boy aesthetic (with motorcycles, etc) stop being cool?  (Read 422 times)
WindowPhil
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2021, 06:17:41 PM »

Youth in the 20th century loved their things like long hair, cigarettes, motorcycles, and rock music.

But in the 21st century, the youth are outside of that 20th century continuum that unified someone coming of age in the 1950s with someone coming of age in the 1980s.

Young people don't care much about having a "cool car" anymore, large shares of them aren't clamoring to own a motorcycle, they see hip hop as the cool genre instead of rock, cigarettes aren't in vogue with them and the minorities of them that do smoke tend to vape, etc.

What happened?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 11:27:43 PM »

Same reason in the 60s the youth didn't think it was cool to do stuff that was popular among youth in the 1900s.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 12:01:12 AM »

Motorcycles are cool, but motorcycle culture is not.
Pedocon Theory is not a theory
CalamityBlue

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.61

P

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 12:19:48 AM »

Why stop there? These damn youths, they don't appreciate zoot suits and the Charleston any more. What happened to jazz?? And don't get me started on drinking, what with all these newfangled "cock-tails" corrupting impressionable young adults! Next you're going to tell me we need to bring these horrible "electric" devices into our homes, no sirree! Give me my Model T, my gramophone, and my milk bar any day of the week!
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 01:31:11 AM »

I still smoke cigarettes. Why, you lookin for a cigarette pen pal or somethin?
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 11:44:54 PM »

That's a pretty sweeping statement. Long hair has come and gone over the years (mostly gone), the negative effects of cigarettes became known (but theoretically safer vapes have been taking their place), motorcycles have never been a practical means of transportation for most people and biker gangs never recovered from their leaders getting busted for drug distribution and murder during the 'tough on crime' days, and rock exhausted its experimentalism- becoming a tired mainstream sound like jazz before it- and stayed a largely white niche. New generations like the wider variety of sounds you can get out of electronic music at a lower cost and with fewer barriers to entry.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 08:35:33 PM »

Well, I don't like the motorcycle culture https://apnews.com/article/caribbean-coronavirus-pandemic-health-2a5fe1181e7b2cf683273ef37be0e5d6
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies