Which scientists are more likely to vote Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:11:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Which scientists are more likely to vote Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which scientists are more likely to vote Republican?  (Read 490 times)
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 29, 2021, 01:12:04 PM »

Climate scientists are probably almost unanimously Democratic which I imagine the majority are across the board but I wonder if there's some fields in which there's a more significant conservative minority. I was surprised at one point when I found out that Harrison Schmidt (one of the Apollo 17 astronauts and the only man to walk on the moon with a science and non-military background) was not only a former Republican senator but also a climate change denier. Given that he's a geologist I can see how he might underrate the effect that humans have on the planet because he's dealing with much vaster timescales, something which of course would make it less likely for a majority in his field to support the party that's the natural home of creationists.
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 01:01:37 AM »

bump
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 01:14:20 AM »

Geologists are probably disproportionately Republican due to ties to resource extraction industries such as oil. Same with chemists due to their work applicable for pharmaceutical and other industrial work. Biologists are probably more disproportionately Dem due to 1) creationism vs. evolution but also 2) biologists being more likely to be women.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 01:45:36 AM »

Geologists are probably disproportionately Republican due to ties to resource extraction industries such as oil. Same with chemists due to their work applicable for pharmaceutical and other industrial work. Biologists are probably more disproportionately Dem due to 1) creationism vs. evolution but also 2) biologists being more likely to be women.

I'd guess applied chemists are more D than applied geologists though.
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 06:40:32 AM »

Ironic that evolution being central to their work would make biologists more likely to be Democrats when my initial theory (though yours probably has more truth to it) was that geologists even deeper awareness of the age of the earth might contribute to them leaning R.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 05:08:41 PM »

Marijuana researchers?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies