Biden to hold record for fewest number of counties carried while still winning?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:46:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Biden to hold record for fewest number of counties carried while still winning?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Biden to hold record for fewest number of counties carried while still winning?  (Read 1415 times)
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2020, 02:08:05 PM »

The counting is not done, but I don’t see how he gets even Obama’s 2012 number. He may do better than Hillary.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 10:27:41 PM »

The counting is not done, but I don’t see how he gets even Obama’s 2012 number. He may do better than Hillary.

I would agree with this. I believe someone estimated that he's carrying ~530 counties thus far. That will be a new record. The Democrats truly have become dependent upon massive margins in populous urban and suburban areas to fuel their victories. In the states that Biden has flipped back (Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin), he's only winning a few more counties than Clinton did, and far fewer than Obama in his two elections.
sguberman
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 12:17:39 AM »

What also think is kind of funny with the small number of counties Democrats win now you would that them winning would be do to them running up the score in the counties they win. However, in actuality the are more voters in Democratic counties than Republican counties.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 02:04:02 AM »

Counties have wildly different populations, so this is irrelevant to just about everything other than to say that Republicans will continue to hold a disproportionately large number of local offices compared to what one would expect given the number of Republican voters.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 03:27:09 AM »

Amazing how much lower it is than Dukakis or Kerry.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 05:36:27 AM »

And to think that he isn't just winning, but is poised to get the highest popular vote in history.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 09:12:46 AM »

Counties have wildly different populations, so this is irrelevant to just about everything other than to say that Republicans will continue to hold a disproportionately large number of local offices compared to what one would expect given the number of Republican voters.

And to think that he isn't just winning, but is poised to get the highest popular vote in history.

Both of these are true. As the old adage says, "Land doesn't vote, but people do." And this election truly has demonstrated that to a considerable extent. But it's still fascinating to think about, and as was pointed out on here, Biden is also poised to carry a smaller number of counties than Kerry, Gore, Dukakis, Carter in 1980, Humphrey, Stevenson, Smith, Davis, Cox, Bryan, and Parker-and all of these men lost.
Red Wall

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 09:17:08 AM »

I would agree with this. I believe someone estimated that he's carrying ~530 counties thus far. That will be a new record. The Democrats truly have become dependent upon massive margins in populous urban and suburban areas to fuel their victories. In the states that Biden has flipped back (Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin), he's only winning a few more counties than Clinton did, and far fewer than Obama in his two elections.
The cook-countyfication of the democratic party.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 09:18:50 AM »

The cook-countyfication of the democratic party.

That's certainly true. Even in Colorado, which Biden is winning by 13%, he was unable to hold all of Hillary Clinton's counties-Trump won Alamosa County, which last went Republican in 2004 for George W. Bush, and Biden could not regain Huerfano, Las Animas, or Conejos Counties, all of which Obama had carried twice. He did flip Chaffee, Grand, and Garfield Counties, however.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 09:51:45 AM »

Comparing Biden to any pre-1960 Democratic nominee isn't really fair. Seeing as they were basically guaranteed to win the entirety of the south.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 10:53:39 AM »

Comparing Biden to any pre-1960 Democratic nominee isn't really fair. Seeing as they were basically guaranteed to win the entirety of the south.

Even 1976 seems so different now. Ford almost won the election (by that, I mean he lost by less than recent Republicans who won more land area) despite winning noticeably fewer counties than Carter.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 10:58:51 AM »

Even 1976 seems so different now. Ford almost won the election (by that, I mean he lost by less than recent Republicans who won more land area) despite winning noticeably fewer counties than Carter.

It's astonishing that 1976, which was such a close election, is also the last election in which the Democratic candidate won a majority of the nation's counties.
Catalyst138
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2020, 11:51:26 AM »

It's astonishing that 1976, which was such a close election, is also the last election in which the Democratic candidate won a majority of the nation's counties.

And the last election where the winning candidate won a minority of the 50 states.

(If Biden wins GA he will be at exactly 25).
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2020, 02:53:28 PM »

And the last election where the winning candidate won a minority of the 50 states.

(If Biden wins GA he will be at exactly 25).

That's also true. Carter's sweep of virtually all the rural counties in the South, including his total sweep of his home state of Georgia (and its 159 counties), is why he was able to win the overall national majority, despite carrying fewer states than Ford.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2021, 09:45:12 AM »

Ultimately, Biden carried 538 counties, while Trump won 2,574, per Atlas' figures. Biden flipped just 48 counties that Trump had won in 2016, which has to be the lowest number of county flips for a winning presidential candidate ever. I'm not sure exactly how many Clinton counties were flipped by Trump. I'll try to find that out.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies