Fulton v. Philadelphia: Roberts has 9-0 majority opinion; late vote switches?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:53:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Fulton v. Philadelphia: Roberts has 9-0 majority opinion; late vote switches?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What will the vote be; who assigns majority opinion?
5-4/Thomas assigns

5-1-3/Thomas assigns

6-3/Roberts assigns

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 6

Author Topic: Fulton v. Philadelphia: Roberts has 9-0 majority opinion; late vote switches?  (Read 2724 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 29, 2021, 10:06:48 AM »
« edited: June 17, 2021, 09:36:36 AM by ERM64man »

Alito has the majority opinion in Fulton v. Philadelphia, which has not been handed down yet. I’m not certain, but I think it could be a 5-1-3 decision assigned to Alito by Thomas, with Roberts writing a narrower non-controlling concurrence in the judgment. Kavanaugh might also vote to kill Obamacare in a 5-4 decision with Roberts dissenting. These could both be opinions assigned by Thomas.

Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 10:56:27 AM »

It is unfortunate that pharmaceutical puppets like President Biden blocked universal healthcare in 1994, putting low income Americans in a vulnerable position like this that continues even decades later.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 11:32:57 AM »

Please stop making threads like this, especially when you can't even be bothered to read what you're posting. Roberts is writing the ACA opinion.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 11:53:36 AM »

Please stop making threads like this, especially when you can't even be bothered to read what you're posting. Roberts is writing the ACA opinion.

Yes, if it's really a Roberts opinion, it's an absolutely done deal that the rest of the ACA stands, whatever happens to the mandate.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 12:30:49 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2021, 12:56:20 PM by ERM64man »

I said Kavanaugh might kill the ACA. I didn’t say will. Roberts probably writes the decision and upholds the ACA, but I said it’s possible he dissents. I was taken of context.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 01:37:31 PM »

Alito having Fulton feels expected, & terrifying all the same. Given who's already written what from November (& in tandem with what came out of their severability cases from last term), anything but Roberts writing for a fractured majority in the ACA case - presumably the entire conservative bloc in favor of standing & unconstitutionality, & then Roberts, the liberals, Kavanaugh, & Barrett ruling that an unconstitutional residual individual mandate is nevertheless severable from the rest of the ACA - would be a surprise at this point.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 02:41:45 PM »

I wonder if Fulton will be a 5-1-3 decision (majority assigned to Alito by Thomas, Roberts concurring in the judgment or partially concurring and dissenting).
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 02:47:09 PM »

While Alito writing the Fulton decision is certainly not a happy thing albeit not surprising (I guess we'll have to consider Gorsuch a wild card on this sort of thing, unless Roberts flipped on this case), Roberts writing the ACA decision is a bit of a relief, although also not surprising.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 03:18:01 PM »

Can we please take "BREAKING" out of the title of a thread that's reporting on pure speculation with no actual story?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 03:24:57 PM »

New poll: 6-3, 5-1-3, or 5-4?
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2021, 04:25:29 PM »

It's somewhat ironic how much hate Alito gets on Atlas. His father drew congressional districts for New Jersey.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2021, 07:08:48 PM »

Alito hinted months ago that he has the majority opinion in Fulton v. Philadelphia.

politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2021, 08:43:00 PM »

Fulton was never going to be a win for the left. These religion cases are going to go one way from now on so long as the Court has its current composition. It is concerning if Alito is writing though. The best hope is that he's writing a plurality opinion where maybe Roberts and Kavanaugh concur in the judgement, but not necessarily the reasoning.

If Roberts does have the ACA case, that's definitely a relief. I'd be far more concerned if he isn't the one writing for the majority.

It's somewhat ironic how much hate Alito gets on Atlas. His father drew congressional districts for New Jersey.

I'm not sure what the latter point has to do with, but it's not surprising. Personally, I cannot think of a single opinion on a point of major contention that I agree with. He votes the most like a partisan Republican of any of the current Justices. I've written before about my issues with him. In particular, I think he's by far the worst Justice when it comes to protecting the rights of criminal defendants. While he did concur in the judgement, he was alone in not joining the majority opinion in Riley v. California.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2021, 09:38:56 PM »

Fulton was never going to be a win for the left. These religion cases are going to go one way from now on so long as the Court has its current composition. It is concerning if Alito is writing though. The best hope is that he's writing a plurality opinion where maybe Roberts and Kavanaugh concur in the judgement, but not necessarily the reasoning.

If Roberts does have the ACA case, that's definitely a relief. I'd be far more concerned if he isn't the one writing for the majority.

I'm not sure what the latter point has to do with, but it's not surprising. Personally, I cannot think of a single opinion on a point of major contention that I agree with. He votes the most like a partisan Republican of any of the current Justices. I've written before about my issues with him. In particular, I think he's by far the worst Justice when it comes to protecting the rights of criminal defendants. While he did concur in the judgement, he was alone in not joining the majority opinion in Riley v. California.
Ain’t gonna happen. Kavanaugh breaks with Roberts in religion cases. It will be the absolute worst case scenario.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2021, 10:19:45 PM »

Ain’t gonna happen. Kavanaugh breaks with Roberts in religion cases. It will be the absolute worst case scenario.

Oh, I don't think Roberts is a vote against the pro-religion side. He's been quite clear where he stands. I was only opining on the possibility that Roberts and Kavanaugh potentially write a concurring opinion that could somehow narrow the scope of the decision. (The worst case scenario is still the most likely, I agree.) It's just the best hope there is. I'm not saying it's the most likely scenario, just a reasonable possibility. The only other hope is that holding a majority together somewhat constrained Alito's majority opinion.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2021, 02:52:22 AM »

I'm not defending Alito; I don't much like him either. I'm simply saying that he must be something of a kindred spirit to some Atlasians who draw congressional districts in the Political Geography and Demographics section.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2021, 06:42:55 AM »

If the Supreme Court actually overturns Obamacare on a nonsense argument, Congress has the votes to reinstate essentially the same program and maybe even to improve it. This would also revive court-packing, even then it wouldn't be inevitable but it would have a chance of happening.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2021, 09:18:17 AM »

Alito also believes rotten boroughs should be legal.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2021, 09:23:20 AM »

Doesn’t he just believe they’re not unconstitutional?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2021, 09:28:30 AM »

No, he wants the country to be a dictatorship.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2021, 09:33:17 AM »

I see. Do you want to come here for legal reasoning?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2021, 10:03:07 AM »

Alito himself doesn’t even care about legal reasoning.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2021, 10:18:10 AM »

So are you trying to imitate him?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2021, 10:20:01 AM »

So are you trying to imitate him?

No. Even with conservative judges, Alito is an outlier.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2021, 05:19:13 PM »

Only Breyer, Roberts, and Alito haven’t had anything from the November sitting. Roberts gets Obamacare. Alito or Breyer gets the gay adoption case.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies